Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 30th Oct 09, 12:23 PM
    • 941Posts
    • 724Thanks
    Garetha
    Nationwide Mobility - bath lift saga - beware!
    • 30th Oct 09, 12:23 PM
    Nationwide Mobility - bath lift saga - beware! 30th Oct 09 at 12:23 PM
    My father has been sold a £600 bath lift by Nationwide Mobility
    Sadly the suckers under the lift don't stick on the non-slip surface of the bath.
    The company will not take it back because he didn't reject it within 7 days of his ordering the item (it took 10 days to arrive!)
    They appear to be a particularly unhelpful company and they are not in a trade association.

PS in conclusion! to save you reading the whole thread

Nationwide Mobility finally collected the bath lift and gave a refund - but not before they denied all responsibility until I threatened court action.

Also note that the price of this bath lift was almost double the price I found elsewhere for the identical make / model.

They also sell Adjustable Beds; Walk In Bath; Bath Lifts; Bath Belts: Riser Recliner Chairs
    My advice:
    Check elsewhere before you consider Nationwide Mobility
    and don't expect good service or value!
    Last edited by Garetha; 10-02-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: summary of outcome
Page 1
    • munchings-n-crunchings
    • By munchings-n-crunchings 30th Oct 09, 6:24 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    munchings-n-crunchings
    • 30th Oct 09, 6:24 PM
    • 30th Oct 09, 6:24 PM
    Hello,

I think the first thing you should do is contact Trading Standards.
    They can advise you on consumer rights, and where you stand.
    Any item sold has to be 'fit for the purpose intended', and if the lift is slipping, it's clearly not fit.

Trading standards are part of your County Council

Regards
    Munchie
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 30th Oct 09, 9:11 PM
    • 18,345 Posts
    • 24,709 Thanks
    woodbine
    • 30th Oct 09, 9:11 PM
    • 30th Oct 09, 9:11 PM
    this may help:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 30th Oct 09, 10:26 PM
    • 27,617 Posts
    • 70,139 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 30th Oct 09, 10:26 PM
    • 30th Oct 09, 10:26 PM
    My father has been sold a £600 bath lift by Nationwide Mobilty
    Sadly it slips because the suckers under the lift slip on the non-slip surface of the bath.
    The company will not take it back because he didn't reject it within 7 days of his ordering the item (it took 10 days to arrive!)
    They appear to be a particularly unhelpful company and they are not in a trade association.
    Originally posted by Garetha
    Definitely get in touch with Trading Standards.

The company are trying to fob off your Dad by mixing up two things. The 7 days they quote is if you change your mind about the order. He wants to send it back because it's not fit for purpose - quite a different thing!
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 30th Oct 09, 10:33 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    • 30th Oct 09, 10:33 PM
    • 30th Oct 09, 10:33 PM
    Thank you all
    I've just filled in a detailed form to Consumer Direct.
    I gather Trading Standards won't accept problems until CD have seen it.

Nationwide Mobility seem to be a very uncaring company to be supplying products to a vulnerable section of the community. My brief contact with them was horrendous.
    • Keith585
    • By Keith585 31st Oct 09, 1:52 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 17,737 Thanks
    Keith585
    • 31st Oct 09, 1:52 PM
    • 31st Oct 09, 1:52 PM
    Have you thought about contacting the BBC watchdog programme?, they often get involved in things like this
    Life is not all about money - we just believe so
  • dmg24
    • 31st Oct 09, 2:08 PM
    • 31st Oct 09, 2:08 PM
    Have you thought about contacting the BBC watchdog programme?, they often get involved in things like this
    Originally posted by Keith585
    Watchdog will not get involved until a consumer has tried to resolve the problem themselves.

OP, you are correct that you need to contact CD before TS.

Did your father ask the retailer advice on whether the item would be suitable, or did they just buy it without seeking advice? Did your father make the retailer aware that his bath had this special surface, or is this type of surface pretty common now in baths? These questions are very important in determining if the retailer is in breach of SOGA.
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 31st Oct 09, 3:57 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    • 31st Oct 09, 3:57 PM
    • 31st Oct 09, 3:57 PM
    Watchdog will not get involved until a consumer has tried to resolve the problem themselves.

OP, you are correct that you need to contact CD before TS.

Did your father ask the retailer advice on whether the item would be suitable, or did they just buy it without seeking advice? Did your father make the retailer aware that his bath had this special surface, or is this type of surface pretty common now in baths? These questions are very important in determining if the retailer is in breach of SOGA.
    Originally posted by dmg24
    The salesman looked at the bath and then advised them to buy the particular model.
  • dmg24
    • 31st Oct 09, 4:23 PM
    • 31st Oct 09, 4:23 PM
    The salesman looked at the bath and then advised them to buy the particular model.
    The fact that they visited your father at home and gave advice would be very strong evidence that the retailer is in contravention of SOGA, as the item is not fit for the specified purpose.

Hopefully Consumer Direct will provide you with a template letter to send to the retailer. If not, post again on the Consumer Rights board and someone will supply you with one. If the retailer still will not play ball, you can issue a small claims action against them. Based on the information provided, your claim will be very straightforward.
    • Antispam
    • By Antispam 31st Oct 09, 4:35 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 3,454 Thanks
    Antispam
    LOL watchdog

as Jim Royale would say"my @rse"

Besides Watchdog is ruined now due to one hour long and beast from hell hosting it

Best route is sale of goods act
  • CutTheJargon
    My father has been sold a £600 bath lift by Nationwide Mobilty
    Sadly it slips because the suckers under the lift slip on the non-slip surface of the bath.

Please, does anyone have knowledge of Nationwide Mobility?

I have a bit of experience with a manufacturer of bathlifts, though not the ones sold by Nationwide Mobility. We and/or our agents offered an evaluation/assessment where we would go out to the home and ensure the product was right for the customer. As there are so many types of bath available, it is important to do this to make sure the bathlift suited the bath. Unfortunately, some agents tend to only offer the bathlift with the most profit in it for them, which means less choice for the consumer.

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer of the bathlift, as I have occasionally seen faults on rubber suckers that have prevented them from sticking correctly. They may be willing to send you some replacement suckers or recommend something else. We would do this even if we had not directly sold the bathlift, as the agent would have purchased it from us originally. It would also be useful for the manufacturer to know which of its agents are less than helpful!

If £600 was paid for it then I can assure you that Nationwide has made enough profit to at least try and resolve your issues.
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 5th Nov 09, 6:05 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    Had an Email reply from Consumer Direct advising sending a recorded delivery request for refund under 'Sale of Goods Act 1979', and giving them 14 days. :rolleyes:
    We shall see if Nationwide Mobility is prepared to change their mind in their dealings with a sick old man or are they just out to fleece the vulnerable? I suspect the later!

By the way! The salesman returned, declared the lift to be working - but left them a leaflet on a £1,800 bath lift which would 'certainly work in their bath'
    Last edited by Garetha; 05-11-2009 at 6:10 PM.
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 8th Dec 09, 12:14 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    Sent a recorded delivery letter to Nationwide Mobility at Farnborough and Royal Mail tracking shows it was delivered.

If anyone knows the name of a director of Nationwide Mobility it would be useful.
    Paul Morris (Director of Nationwide Mobility) has now replied to my request for a refund.
    He says "No!"
  • dmg24
    Has he given a reason for his refusal? If no valid reason, I would issue a small claims action.
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 8th Dec 09, 6:51 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    Has he given a reason for his refusal? If no valid reason, I would issue a small claims action.
    Originally posted by dmg24
    They only accept returns if you cancel within 7 days of ordering - i.e. statutory rights
    The fact that the bath lift doesn't work is of no interest to Nationwide Mobility

Avoid Nationwide Mobility

Consumer Direct advise further letter to the company asking for a refund again
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 8th Dec 09, 7:10 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 81,578 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Can you explain how it's slipping please, OP.

I have a bath lift and they are quite heavy, so not sure how that would happen.

I have a long rubber bath mat and the suckers don't stick to that, but the lift still doesn't slip in the bath, so I'm not sure how, or why your father's one would?

Edited to add: even before I had the long bath mat, the rubber suctions would sometimes not stick to the surface of the bath, but not all four suction cups. Mine's an aquatec, if that's any help. Due to the weight of the chair, and it's position in the bath, it didn't slip, because my weight would also push down the suction cups IYSWIM.
    Last edited by pipkin71; 08-12-2009 at 7:15 PM.
    Dreams really can come true!
  • dmg24
    If you are confident that it is not fit for purpose (given that the equipment was recommended as suitable for your bath) you need to send a Letter Before Action notifying them of your intention to issue a small claims action. There is no need to mess around with anymore letters than this (I assumed that was what CD had already given you, but presumably not if they are suggesting you send another one).

If CD are not helpful in writing a letter, come back to us and I'll put one together. If I don't respond on here post on the Benefits board, someone will find me!
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 8th Dec 09, 11:25 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    Can you explain how it's slipping please, OP.
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    It's not a slip - it just doesn't attach to the bath through the suckers - so it's very unstable. I wouldn't want to use it if I needed one.
    My father used the word 'slip' but it's him that was slipping not the bath lift.
    Last edited by Garetha; 09-12-2009 at 7:50 AM.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 10th Dec 09, 10:24 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 81,578 Thanks
    pipkin71
    It's not a slip - it just doesn't attach to the bath through the suckers - so it's very unstable. I wouldn't want to use it if I needed one.
    My father used the word 'slip' but it's him that was slipping not the bath lift.
    Thanks for replying Garetha.

Have you had a look at the seat? Do you see that it slips? How does your father slip, on it? How is it unstable, as it is boxed in by the sides of the bath on three sides? Does it slide forward at all?

Sorry for all the questions, just that if you take this further, you will need to prove that the seat isn't safe. In all honesty, despite the suction pads not always making contact with the bath, the seat is too heavy to slip, plus, given that three sides are boxed in, it could only slip forwards, and - on my seat, at least - it is too heavy to do that, especially when the weight of the body is also on there, IYSWIM.

Can you try it out? Could it be that your dad just doesn't feel confident in using it, and worries because the suctions don't make contact with the bath?

Can you go into the bathroom and raise the seat straight out of the bath? It may be that only a couple of the suctions aren't catching. If you can lift the seat straight out, do put this in your complaint, so that they know that none of the suctions are working as they should be. However, I would suggest that you test the seat too, in case it is the fact that your dad doesn't feel confident using it, and it is fit for purpose, other than that.

If the seat does slide forward when in use, or puts your dad in any danger of injury, then clearly it isn't at all safe to use.

Good luck with it all
    Dreams really can come true!
    • elektra
    • By elektra 20th Jan 10, 5:10 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    elektra
    Did you get a resolution/refund ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

2,441Users online

Martin's Twitter