PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is my breadmaker playing up?

Options
Hi, I've always bought hovis white bread mix and it gives me the biggest tastiest loaf.
However, the last two weeks every loaf ive made has been half the normal size and very dense in texture.
Ive phoned hovis and they have checked the batches but they say all is ok and to be fair, i have bought the bread mix from different shops and its still not good.
Do you think it could be my panny thats gone wrong? I bought it from costco about a year ago so i know they will refund/exchange if its faulty
Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

Comments

• Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like it is to do with the yeast, try making a diffrent loaf to see how it goes.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • nibs
    nibs Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its a bread mix that i use so all ingredients are in the pack, thats what makes me wonder if its the b/m :confused:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nibs wrote: »
    Hi, I've always bought hovis white bread mix and it gives me the biggest tastiest loaf.
    However, the last two weeks every loaf ive made has been half the normal size and very dense in texture.
    Ive phoned hovis and they have checked the batches but they say all is ok and to be fair, i have bought the bread mix from different shops and its still not good.
    Do you think it could be my panny thats gone wrong? I bought it from costco about a year ago so i know they will refund/exchange if its faulty
    Thanks

Could it be the same problem I had? See HERE (SD253 throwing a wobbler) half-way down the page.
  • nibs
    Options
    Yes waggle dancer that sounds exactly the same problem. I've had one good loaf out of 12. I use the same pack of mix every day (amazing taste) and I'm now thinking its a fault with the panny.
    Did you get a new one, if so what make?
    thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I got a new Panasonic, a SD254, £69.99 from Amazon.

I was going to get one from Lakeland as I was going to be passing one of their shops but it seems they only stock the Kenwood breadmaker now.

I love my Panny but I'll be a bit miffed if this one doesn't last longer than the other one. I like to get at least 5 years out of my gadgets.

I am suspicious that the problem lies with the heat sensor as there didn't seem to be anything mechanical amiss.
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well.....we had something similar but it was quite intermittent. Hubby is in charge of our Panny so I was getting this from him. There seemed to be a couple of problems with ours, occasionally it didn't mix properly and I think that was when the paddle wasn't quite engaged properly (as in he hadn't ensured it was properly clean so it didn't sit on the spindle).

BUT we had a phase of a number of loaves that were small and dense. We binned the old yeast (tried it with hand made bread and it was no good their either) and I made OH get the recipe out and measure everything properly.

Ours has now fixed itself so it does appear that it was user error in our case. If you're using a mix then the only factor to consider is the water content - are you sure you're putting in the right amount of water? Have they changed the instructions?

Costco have the Kenwood breadmaker on special at £63 at the moment if anyone is on a BM hunt.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mine began as an intermittent problem so I tried different yeast/flour, changing the amount of ingredients, it was very frustrating.

I just lost faith in it when I began to only get one good one out of four as I need a BM I can rely on.
  • nibs
    Options
    So, do you think it could be either the paddle not kneeding the dough properly or maybe a heat issue? Either way i think ill take a trip to costco and see if they'll change it for me. Thanks for all the replies.
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's the paddle you'll see that the bread isn't mixed properly we had this sometimes but more often the bread was consistent - but small and dense!

I don't think our Costco has Panny's at the moment only the Kenwood.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • 7stephenson
    7stephenson Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 8 October 2009 at 10:19AM
    Options
    nibs wrote: »
    Thanks

I had the same problem but using Sainsbury breadmixes. I thought my breadmaker had gone wrong after producing two "brick type" loaves. I was not very happy as it is only 19 months old, so yesterday I rang the Panasonic helpline. Tel 01 344 862108. They said that there was a problem with some of the breadmixes (mainly Tesco and Sainsbury) as there was not enough gluten in the flour due to a bad harvest. :confused:

I then rang Sainsbury and they had no idea about the gluten problem but will look into it and ring me back in a few days.

When talking to Panasonic, I said I had a Hovis white bread mix but it had gone past its expiry date of September 09. I was told it would be all right even on the fast bake and she was correct. The loaf turned out perfect. :T

I am just amazed that there has been nothing in the press about this gluten problem as surely it must affect bakers throughout the country! I am not sure whether the problem is with this years harvest or last years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport