IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Eye Test at Boots
Closed Thread
Views: 156,134
# 1
MSE Martin
Old 02-05-2006, 1:33 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Free Eye Test at Boots

What is it?

It's possible to get a free eye test at Boots by joining the Boots Health Club online (which is free to join).

How does it work

You sign up at http://www.bootshealthclub.com/healthclub/signup.html fill in your details and included in your welcome pack is a free eye test voucher (usual cost £20).

What's the catch?

The Boots health club is a marketing scheme, it's aim is to grab your email and then send you online and offline marketing about Boots in order to generate your loyalty. This means there is no 'tick the box' not to receive mailings button. However you can still cancel your membership once you've had the free eye test.

Another quick note, amongst the details it asks you for is your mobile phone number, yet there's no need to enter this (it should stop any 'marketing texts').

Martin

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Last edited by MSE Archna; 02-05-2006 at 1:46 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
bellybabe
Old 02-05-2006, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't forget, though, that if you live in Scotland, eye tests are now free for everyone!

BB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellybabe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Heinz
Old 02-05-2006, 5:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

And D&A are still doing them - no catches.

http://www.danda.co.uk/opticians/pro...sp?campaign=20
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
franked
Old 02-05-2006, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quality people, quality ;o) Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to franked For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
loisamelia
Old 02-05-2006, 7:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

shame i had mine done a week ago then
they did gove me 25 worth of advantage points when i bought my glasses there and it was buy 1 get 1 free on the glasses too so not too bad i suppose
# 6
stardust2000_uk
Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellybabe
Don't forget, though, that if you live in Scotland, eye tests are now free for everyone!

BB
How do we get this? I need new lenses for my glasses and had an eye test a year ago but want another just to check that the prescription's still ok
# 7
medianige
Old 03-05-2006, 9:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking eye tests

Interesting but true: if you work on a computer as a substantial part of your employment, or if tasks you do require you to use a high level of concentration when transferring/inputting data to a computer, your employer is obliged under health and safety legislation to pay for an annual eye test.

Check the HSE website for exact detail.

If your optician says that you need glasses SPECIFICALLY for computer work (i.e. not just for reading or driving or general wear), your employer is also obliged to part pay for the glasses. They can nominate specific opticians or even bring eye-testing on-site.
Regards

Mark
# 8
leaphaze
Old 03-05-2006, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianige
Interesting but true: if you work on a computer as a substantial part of your employment, or if tasks you do require you to use a high level of concentration when transferring/inputting data to a computer, your employer is obliged under health and safety legislation to pay for an annual eye test.

If your optician says that you need glasses SPECIFICALLY for computer work (i.e. not just for reading or driving or general wear), your employer is also obliged to part pay for the glasses. They can nominate specific opticians or even bring eye-testing on-site.
Yes, that's what I did. Reduced the cost of a pair of glasses for work from 60 to 10.
Wearing my other one today.
# 9
Pamelamac
Old 03-05-2006, 4:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Martin
What is it?

It's possible to get a free eye test at Boots by joining the Boots Health Club online (which is free to join).

How does it work

You sign up at http://www.bootshealthclub.com/healthclub/signup.html fill in your details and included in your welcome pack is a free eye test voucher (usual cost 20).

What's the catch?

The Boots health club is a marketing scheme, it's aim is to grab your email and then send you online and offline marketing about Boots in order to generate your loyalty. This means there is no 'tick the box' not to receive mailings button. However you can still cancel your membership once you've had the free eye test.

Another quick note, amongst the details it asks you for is your mobile phone number, yet there's no need to enter this (it should stop any 'marketing texts').

Martin

What a wonderful tip - I have joined today - I have been putting off getting an eye test for ages - Thanks
# 10
Pamelamac
Old 03-05-2006, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

What a wonderful tip, I have been putting off getting an eye test for ages. I have joined Boots Healthclub today. Thanks:
# 11
miss_angie1
Old 03-05-2006, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Brilliant, I have just signed up. I was meant to go to specsavers last week but had to cancel my appt at the last minute so this free eye test through Boots is fantastic!! Thanks MSE!!!
My mantra is "Never pay full price!"
# 12
Celtic
Old 03-05-2006, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Free eye tests for over Fortys !

If your mother or father has been ever treated for glaucoma,
You are automaticaly allowed free eye tests on the NHS at any optician once you reach forty !
Were all Dooooooooomed !
# 13
odowdchr
Old 03-05-2006, 6:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianige

Also...sort it out before you go. You normally have to take a form from work that the optician completes for employer's H+S records. It's no good asking for the money back if you've already been and had the test done independently (as muggins here found out..)
# 14
rob_dewing
Old 04-05-2006, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Re the free eye test if you're over 40 and parents had glaucoma - I was asked the glaucoma question by an optician and 'inadvertently' said yes cos I confused glaucoma with cataracts - my Dad had the latter. They've never checked it and I go on getting a free eye test evey year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob_dewing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Mantrib
Old 04-05-2006, 4:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You don't appear to have to enter an e-mail address or mobile number to enroll...
# 16
carpy
Old 04-05-2006, 7:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

do you get pressured into buying new glasses/lenses when you have these 'free' eye tests?
# 17
Carter74uk
Old 04-05-2006, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Eye Test

I would certainly advise everyone to take advantage of any offer of a free test. I had a routine test recently and was shocked to be diagnosed with glaucoma (I'm 31). Luckily I visited an optician who was extremely thorough and tested for this but I have been on other occasions over the years and no other optician has done so. The above is particularly true if there is a family history or you are short-sighted. I understand that males of African-Caribean ethnicity are also at a higher risk.

I would urge anyone who has noticed any problems to get seen as soon as possible. I occasionally noticed a slight loss of periperhal vision or tiredness in the evenings which I always attributed to eye strain.

The good news is that in most cases, while it's not reversible, it is treatable.

So go on, check yourself out!
Val
# 18
alikat
Old 05-05-2006, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy
do you get pressured into buying new glasses/lenses when you have these 'free' eye tests?
No, they shouldn't as they are not allowed by law. I had a free eye test at Boots just after christmas, as very suddenly, I couldn't read small print etc. I made it clear I was going to shop around, with no problem. I was prescribed veri focals which I did not buy in boots as I explained during eye test that I spent long periods of time at a laptop, but with a TV in the same room & when I borrowed my partners reading glasses they were excellent for working at laptop but glancing in long vision with reading glasses caused me headaches.
# 19
lisyloo
Old 05-05-2006, 3:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Just tell them you are on your lunch hour, or meeting someone, or have to be somewhere but you would like to come back another day.
If you are charming and pleasant then they are not going to want to upset a potential customer.

Being charming really does get you a better result than being evasive.
# 20
GTG
Old 05-05-2006, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Just tell them you are on your lunch hour, or meeting someone, or have to be somewhere but you would like to come back another day.
A friend of mine tried this one and the opticians assistant said "that's fine" at which point she smiled and placed his perscription in a filing cabinet saying "I'll keep the perscription safe here, we don't want it to go missing and then have to charge you for a test, do we?
Closed Thread