PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat Healthily for £1.93 a day BigBarn Article

Options
Saw this interesting article, it is a weeks menu with shopping list, pricing and recipes.

http://www.bigbarn.net/food/articles/?articleid=195
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.

Comments

• needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very nice , interesting, shame we haven't got a big barn near us.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the link - really interesting
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good grief it'd take me a month to eat that little lot!

And about two years to eat that many breakfasts.

:)

Good article though - a nice find thanks :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    needmoney wrote:
    Very nice , interesting, shame we haven't got a big barn near us.
    Big Barn is a site that tells you where your nearest farm shops,organic delivery,farmer's markets etc are.You just type in your postcode ;)

Good article,thanks Jordylass :)
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    That looks delicious! Especially the breakfast mix - I've been looking for inspiration in that area.

The costings and quantities are to serve 2 (for £1.94 a day EACH). Luckily for me (only cooking for myself) most of it looks freezable. Must give it a try!

Does Bigbarn publish these things often? I'm only asking because this particular menu looks like it's going to go out of date soon in terms of the use of seasonal ingredients. I'm hoping one which focuses more on spring and summer veg will be along soon.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I looked at that, but came up against the usual obstacle that I can't find food that cheap where I live. Lamb breast in Asda was at least £2!

Oh well, swings and roundabouts - living in London means there are certain foods I can get cheaper/easier than some people.
  • wonderfullife_2
    wonderfullife_2 Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, we'll be off to a farmer's market on saturday now.
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    I read "Breakfast of champignons with organic milk" and thought.....eeeeuuuuurrrgh!

:embarasse

~x~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow thanks Jordylass - looks like a great site - I've listed it under my favourites :T
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Thanks, interesting menu - couldn't find any puddings :eek:
    Someone should forward this to the NHS - they spend more than this amount per head per day and manage to produce uneatable food :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure