Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jan 09, 1:15 PM
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge 28th Jan 09 at 1:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

Pink isn't around at the moment, so I've ok'd with Penelope Penguin to start off the new thread. We start with Pink's usual opening posts.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone

Rosieben xx
    Last edited by rosieben; 28-01-2009 at 1:31 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Page 55
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 18th Feb 09, 8:19 AM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 28,786 Thanks
    Morning all

Scotsaver - I live in the Fens (near the Wash in the East of England), the work here is mostly low paid or agricultural. The nearest big city is Peterborough or further to the East Kings Lynn. Lots of people have moved here as house prices are low, but of course jobs (if you can find one) pay much less than the national average - there's always a catch isn't there!
    Hoping still to be around budget but now looking less likely as needed milk and yoghurts were on offer in Mr L yesterday (should be 2.96 down to 1.50 for a pack of 6 corners - well in date to 15 March). Will still try to come in at budget though.

Have a good day everyone, keep going, you're all an inspiration.

Keep safe.
    nmlc x
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 18th Feb 09, 8:22 AM
    • 12,448 Posts
    • 153,003 Thanks
    managed an NSD yesterday and we had a belated meal out as we didnt go at the weekend so DH paid for that .

hoping to get some baking done later but that will mean i need to buy eggs so ill check the funds for the week before i decide if thats a go or a no
    grocery challenge November budget 400 spent 376.28
    read your books challenge-currently on the Charm bracelet
    xstitch challenge 63 Christmas stocking
    15 in 2015 challenge 12/15
    2015 wooligan stuff - 12 squares, 6 prem hats, 2 pairs mittens 3 blankets, 24 bead bags
  • Changingme
    Small spend yesterday just 3.75 will need milk possible Friday or if can hang on main shop Saturday I have 50.75 left so fingers crossed.
    Save 4500 in 2014
  • Disflop
    Well done you - and no wonder you are pleased with yourself!
    Just given me a wake up call though- there are only 2 of us and no hamster (!) and I spend much more than your usual 80, so there's a challenge for me!
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 18th Feb 09, 9:47 AM
    • 9,457 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Well done to op, what an achievement!

I love Cornflakes and have them for supper - or porridge.
    Barney is my border collie.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 18th Feb 09, 10:19 AM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 15,108 Thanks
    Just a little line to say I somewhat overspent on my budget at the weekend - spent around 30 when I intended to spend no more than 15. Still well within the budget for the minute - have spent 83.39 in total out of 120 budget. I think for once I might come in reasonably well under. And the cupboards are groaning!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

• laineyc
    • By laineyc 18th Feb 09, 10:34 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    Well done. No wonder you're chuffed.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 18th Feb 09, 11:13 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    I bought milk and bread. With half-term and 4 boys at home, we keep running out. The boys are having friends round for dinner. I will give them fishfingers and salad. I have defrosted bolognaise sauce for OH and I. Tomorrow, I will need to go to the butcher. My freezer is nearly empty which means I have plenty space for my shopping on Friday. I reckon I will be about 50 over but I am happy with that since it was my first month and I needed to find my feet. I need to bake some fairy cakes this afternoon. I think I will make double and freeze some. The novelty of all this baking is wearing off but Iwill persevere.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
  • justpeyton4now
    Well done Silaqui That is fabulous!

Can you tell me what type of things you plan for tea etc? I desperately need to cut down on the grocery budget and despite meal planning, haven't gotten it down to 80 per month.
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • Valley's girl
    Well done that's brilliant keep the good work up.
    Best wishes
    Official DMP Mutual Support Club Member No 30
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 18th Feb 09, 11:51 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 132,559 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I have only spend 54 this month on groceries and household stuff . There are 2 of us and a hamster and my usual is around 80 per month. It's not yet the end of February but according to my meal plans we have everything we need so no need to go shopping again.
    Just really pleased with myself, sorry for the self-congratulatory thread!
    Originally posted by Silaqui
    Well done - I'll add this to the Grocery Challenge thread where people try to keep to grocery budgets they can afford.

Penny. x
    Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
  • sazzledazzle
    Spent 3.00 last night on chips to go with what is left in freezer, tartare sauce ( a luxuary but cant have battered fish without it ) and bottle of juice. That should keep me going till payday on Friday when I can do a proper shop.
    MAY NSD's

• Miss Liquorice
    belfastgirl - I'm just about neck and neck with you at the moment, 82.43 (as far as I can work out!) out of 120. And that included dominoes and wine on my flatmate's birthday, and a big bottle of Southern Comfort for last saturday, yum!

I've mealplanned and I seem to have enough food in for me to last into March... just need to buy lots of veggies for the guineas! But then I am always tempted when I go into food shops. We'll see how that goes...
    Trying to MSE my live-in boyfriend!
  • newlywed
    Spent 3.00 last night on chips to go with what is left in freezer, tartare sauce ( a luxuary but cant have battered fish without it ) and bottle of juice. That should keep me going till payday on Friday when I can do a proper shop.
    Originally posted by sazzledazzle
    A jar of tartar sauce is 35p in Lidl
    Grocery Challenge August = 220 (in my dreams!!)
    DMP support thread (member #32)

• elizabunny
    elizabunny - could you please post your Oxtail Stew recipe, I've started shopping at the Butchers and noticed that they sell Oxtail so would love to give this a go, especially if I can turn the leftovers into Oxtail Soup as this is OH's favourite Soup but too expensive.

Have a good day everyone.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    Hello everyone

Hi Scotsaver -this is my receipe for Oxtail stew:-
    4 Pieces of Oxtail
    About 4 Med. Potatoes peeled and cubed
    About Quarter Swede peeled and cubed
    1 Parsnip peeled and sliced
    1 large Onion peeled and sliced
    About Half to threequarters Pint of Boiling Beef Stock
    1 Half Tsp. Dried Rosemary
    2 Bay Leaves
    Salt & Pepper Seasoning

I layered everything into my slo-cooker with the Oxtail pieces evenly spaced around the dish, added the herbs and seasoning and then poured the boiling Beef stock over the top.

I cooked my Stew in the slo-cooker on high for about 6-7 hours, but I'm sure you could achieve the same result by cooking slowly in the oven (just keep an eye on the liquid)

When everything is thoroughly cooked this way you find the Oxtail meat just falls off the bones. I was able to reserve some of this meat and also some of the veggies and stock for Oxtail soup (Although I will need to add more stock to this as I used some of the liquid to make a rich gravy for the stew by adding a few granules to thicken it)

I think when I make the soup, I will bring to the boil the reserved meat, veggies and stock and then simmer everything for about 15-30 minutes and then liquidize it.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by elizabunny; 18-02-2009 at 1:40 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • Aril
    • By Aril 18th Feb 09, 1:19 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 14,562 Thanks
    Poundland has a 1.5kg bag granulated sugar for surprisingly 1. Works out at 67p per kg.
    Thought it might be of use to someone on the challenge. Am off to get some shortly myself!
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2015
  • Reverbe
    Sadly up from 13 .64 today - got some treats from M & S - cranberry & orange hot cross buns, fairtrade hedgerow jam and a roast chicken pie for dinner tomorrow and spent another 12.22 in Tescos which included a lot of value stuff and I note their value pancake mix at only 8p... Curry sauce has gone down now to 13p! but still no stocks of pasta, rice or stock cubes..

was feeling soooo good at holding at 13.64 til today and for a long while was Zero spend until 15th still that includes stockpiling of value tea, curry sauces, pancake mix and other bits to take advantage of price cuts on value items

actually EDIT to recalculate as the candle is not what I count as groceries...
    Last edited by Reverbe; 18-02-2009 at 2:16 PM.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • nickynoo08
    Afternoon all, my app food order came today with my 36 tins of soup plus others bits n bobs, just need to find somewhere for it all to go now:rolleyes:. I should only need milk and veggies for the rest of the month now.
    Only 10 days to go can she do it????
    Total debt 9000
    2015 will be our year
    • PurpleSkies
    • By PurpleSkies 18th Feb 09, 2:11 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    Did a big 20ish shop at the weekend, got to the till & realised I'd left my money off voucher at home! That's the 3rd time I've gone shopping without it! Good thing it doesn't expire until November!

Must remember it next time. Although not sure when I'll be going shopping again as my brother has moved back home so left me a whole bag of food he wasn't going to use before he left.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 18th Feb 09, 2:13 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    Crikey I've just caught up from page 42 and I was only away for 2 days!
    Caramia1812 I feel so sorry for your situation I hope things improve for you soon.
    Mrs M I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Mummyyof5 Apologies if this is the blindingly obvious advice but I wash everything inside out which means the clothes only fade on the inside,especially good with black/dark clothes like jeans.
    I havn't spent much this week as I was away gallivanting on a cheap break with the russetred brood.
    I made lentil soup from the chicken bones and veg scraps from last night's tea which was delish today.My lot must be getting used to my ways by now as DD ran to get a bowl for the bones when I was dishing out tea.Off to make a cheese and spring onion potato bake to go with pork chops now.
    ANNUAL GC 1129.12 /3300

"Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @arlenephillips: I use mine. Hate making long calls on mobile.

• PS the pigs in my new profile pic are not a political comment (read that as you will!)

• New profile picture for the first time in two years - older, and finally given in to putting a jacket on.

• Follow Martin