Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > February 2009 Grocery Challenge (Page 55)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
February 2009 Grocery Challenge
Views: 80,010
# 1081
nmlc
Old 18-02-2009, 8:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all

Scotsaver - I live in the Fens (near the Wash in the East of England), the work here is mostly low paid or agricultural. The nearest big city is Peterborough or further to the East Kings Lynn. Lots of people have moved here as house prices are low, but of course jobs (if you can find one) pay much less than the national average - there's always a catch isn't there!
Hoping still to be around budget but now looking less likely as needed milk and yoghurts were on offer in Mr L yesterday (should be 2.96 down to 1.50 for a pack of 6 corners - well in date to 15 March). Will still try to come in at budget though.

Have a good day everyone, keep going, you're all an inspiration.

Keep safe.
nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nmlc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1082
mrs-moneypenny
Old 18-02-2009, 8:22 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

managed an NSD yesterday and we had a belated meal out as we didnt go at the weekend so DH paid for that .

hoping to get some baking done later but that will mean i need to buy eggs so ill check the funds for the week before i decide if thats a go or a no
grocery challenge November budget 400 spent 298.32
read your books challenge-currently on-the magic of christmas
xstitch challenge 63 celtic noel
14 in 2014 challenge completed 20/14
2014 wooligan stuff - 29 hedgehogs, 24 bead bags 10 yellow ducks 23 baby hats 3 poppies
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mrs-moneypenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1083
Changingme
Old 18-02-2009, 8:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Small spend yesterday just 3.75 will need milk possible Friday or if can hang on main shop Saturday I have 50.75 left so fingers crossed.
Save 4500 in 2014
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Changingme For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1084
Disflop
Old 18-02-2009, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Well done you - and no wonder you are pleased with yourself!
Just given me a wake up call though- there are only 2 of us and no hamster (!) and I spend much more than your usual 80, so there's a challenge for me!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Disflop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1085
Barneysmom
Old 18-02-2009, 9:47 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Well done to op, what an achievement!

I love Cornflakes and have them for supper - or porridge.
Barney is my border collie.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Barneysmom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1086
belfastgirl23
Old 18-02-2009, 10:19 AM

Just a little line to say I somewhat overspent on my budget at the weekend - spent around 30 when I intended to spend no more than 15. Still well within the budget for the minute - have spent 83.39 in total out of 120 budget. I think for once I might come in reasonably well under. And the cupboards are groaning!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to belfastgirl23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1087
laineyc
Old 18-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well done. No wonder you're chuffed.
GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to laineyc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1088
laineyc
Old 18-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bought milk and bread. With half-term and 4 boys at home, we keep running out. The boys are having friends round for dinner. I will give them fishfingers and salad. I have defrosted bolognaise sauce for OH and I. Tomorrow, I will need to go to the butcher. My freezer is nearly empty which means I have plenty space for my shopping on Friday. I reckon I will be about 50 over but I am happy with that since it was my first month and I needed to find my feet. I need to bake some fairy cakes this afternoon. I think I will make double and freeze some. The novelty of all this baking is wearing off but Iwill persevere.
GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to laineyc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1089
justpeyton4now
Old 18-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well done Silaqui That is fabulous!

Can you tell me what type of things you plan for tea etc? I desperately need to cut down on the grocery budget and despite meal planning, haven't gotten it down to 80 per month.
Take the first step.
Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
Just take the first step.
~MLK, Jr~
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to justpeyton4now For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1090
Valley's girl
Old 18-02-2009, 11:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well done that's brilliant keep the good work up.
Best wishes
ally
Official DMP Mutual Support Club Member No 30
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Valley's girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1091
Penelope Penguin
Old 18-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silaqui View Post
I have only spend 54 this month on groceries and household stuff . There are 2 of us and a hamster and my usual is around 80 per month. It's not yet the end of February but according to my meal plans we have everything we need so no need to go shopping again.
Just really pleased with myself, sorry for the self-congratulatory thread!
X
Well done - I'll add this to the Grocery Challenge thread where people try to keep to grocery budgets they can afford.

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1092
sazzledazzle
Old 18-02-2009, 12:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Spent 3.00 last night on chips to go with what is left in freezer, tartare sauce ( a luxuary but cant have battered fish without it ) and bottle of juice. That should keep me going till payday on Friday when I can do a proper shop.
MAY NSD's

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sazzledazzle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1093
Miss Liquorice
Old 18-02-2009, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

belfastgirl - I'm just about neck and neck with you at the moment, 82.43 (as far as I can work out!) out of 120. And that included dominoes and wine on my flatmate's birthday, and a big bottle of Southern Comfort for last saturday, yum!

I've mealplanned and I seem to have enough food in for me to last into March... just need to buy lots of veggies for the guineas! But then I am always tempted when I go into food shops. We'll see how that goes...
Trying to MSE my live-in boyfriend!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Miss Liquorice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1094
newlywed
Old 18-02-2009, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzledazzle View Post
Spent 3.00 last night on chips to go with what is left in freezer, tartare sauce ( a luxuary but cant have battered fish without it ) and bottle of juice. That should keep me going till payday on Friday when I can do a proper shop.
A jar of tartar sauce is 35p in Lidl
Grocery Challenge August = 220 (in my dreams!!)
DMP support thread (member #32)

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to newlywed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1095
elizabunny
Old 18-02-2009, 1:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsaver View Post
elizabunny - could you please post your Oxtail Stew recipe, I've started shopping at the Butchers and noticed that they sell Oxtail so would love to give this a go, especially if I can turn the leftovers into Oxtail Soup as this is OH's favourite Soup but too expensive.

Have a good day everyone.
Hello everyone

Hi Scotsaver -this is my receipe for Oxtail stew:-
4 Pieces of Oxtail
About 4 Med. Potatoes peeled and cubed
About Quarter Swede peeled and cubed
1 Parsnip peeled and sliced
1 large Onion peeled and sliced
About Half to threequarters Pint of Boiling Beef Stock
1 Half Tsp. Dried Rosemary
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper Seasoning

I layered everything into my slo-cooker with the Oxtail pieces evenly spaced around the dish, added the herbs and seasoning and then poured the boiling Beef stock over the top.

I cooked my Stew in the slo-cooker on high for about 6-7 hours, but I'm sure you could achieve the same result by cooking slowly in the oven (just keep an eye on the liquid)

When everything is thoroughly cooked this way you find the Oxtail meat just falls off the bones. I was able to reserve some of this meat and also some of the veggies and stock for Oxtail soup (Although I will need to add more stock to this as I used some of the liquid to make a rich gravy for the stew by adding a few granules to thicken it)

I think when I make the soup, I will bring to the boil the reserved meat, veggies and stock and then simmer everything for about 15-30 minutes and then liquidize it.

Hope this helps
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.

Last edited by elizabunny; 18-02-2009 at 1:40 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to elizabunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1096
Aril
Old 18-02-2009, 1:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello
Poundland has a 1.5kg bag granulated sugar for surprisingly 1. Works out at 67p per kg.
Thought it might be of use to someone on the challenge. Am off to get some shortly myself!
Aril
Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Aril For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1097
Reverbe
Old 18-02-2009, 1:37 PM

Sadly up from 13 .64 today - got some treats from M & S - cranberry & orange hot cross buns, fairtrade hedgerow jam and a roast chicken pie for dinner tomorrow and spent another 12.22 in Tescos which included a lot of value stuff and I note their value pancake mix at only 8p... Curry sauce has gone down now to 13p! but still no stocks of pasta, rice or stock cubes..

was feeling soooo good at holding at 13.64 til today and for a long while was Zero spend until 15th still that includes stockpiling of value tea, curry sauces, pancake mix and other bits to take advantage of price cuts on value items

actually EDIT to recalculate as the candle is not what I count as groceries...
What Would Bill Buchanan Do?

Last edited by Reverbe; 18-02-2009 at 2:16 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Reverbe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1098
nickynoo08
Old 18-02-2009, 2:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Afternoon all, my app food order came today with my 36 tins of soup plus others bits n bobs, just need to find somewhere for it all to go now:rolleyes:. I should only need milk and veggies for the rest of the month now.
Only 10 days to go can she do it????
Make 10 a day Jan 62.60/310 saved 0 (Running total - 62.60 made and 139 saved)
VSP #133 9.79
Loan @ 1/1/11 6300.44 2558.41
Fresh start, just me and my lovely boys
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nickynoo08 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1099
PurpleSkies
Old 18-02-2009, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Did a big 20ish shop at the weekend, got to the till & realised I'd left my money off voucher at home! That's the 3rd time I've gone shopping without it! Good thing it doesn't expire until November!

Must remember it next time. Although not sure when I'll be going shopping again as my brother has moved back home so left me a whole bag of food he wasn't going to use before he left.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PurpleSkies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1100
russetred
Old 18-02-2009, 2:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Crikey I've just caught up from page 42 and I was only away for 2 days!
Caramia1812 I feel so sorry for your situation I hope things improve for you soon.
Mrs M I hope you're feeling better soon.
Mummyyof5 Apologies if this is the blindingly obvious advice but I wash everything inside out which means the clothes only fade on the inside,especially good with black/dark clothes like jeans.
I havn't spent much this week as I was away gallivanting on a cheap break with the russetred brood.
I made lentil soup from the chicken bones and veg scraps from last night's tea which was delish today.My lot must be getting used to my ways by now as DD ran to get a bowl for the bones when I was dishing out tea.Off to make a cheese and spring onion potato bake to go with pork chops now.
ANNUAL GC 610.14 /3760

"Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to russetred For This Useful Post: Show me >>