Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    MSE Martin
    Did you know? You may be able to drive someone else's car on your insurance.
    • #1
    • 13th Feb 06, 12:33 PM
    Did you know? You may be able to drive someone else's car on your insurance. 13th Feb 06 at 12:33 PM
    Did you know? If you've got comprehensive insurance you may be able to drive someone else's car.

    I'm cheaply insured to drive my little Smart car, but this weekend I drove my friend's Mercedes sports car on my policy at no extra cost. That's because many comprehensive policies include a 'third party all-cars' allowance letting you drive other cars on your own policy.

    Rough Guidance: though check your policy as it may differ from the standard

    • Not all policies have this. So you need to call and check whether it's included in yours.
    • This is only third party cover. So if you crash into anything it won't cover the car you're driving. However if you crash into someone else it will pay out for their car or any injury to them.
    • It isn't designed as an every day policy. Insurers rightly caution against using this as an every day policy as the cover this as you have more limited cover. I would consider it primarily as a useful optional cover for times when you 'need it' rather than an every day type of cover. Most interestingly as you're covered for any car it is one way to get insurance to drive a much higher category car.
    • Can it be used as a cheap way to insure yourself for an expensive car? Technically, providing you don't own the car, there's usually nothing stopping you doing this on most policies, however insurers frown on it and if they find out will often try and make you pay to be added as a second driver on that insurance. I would caution against this as a policy, both because insurers are looking at blocking this cover (as so many people are doing it) and because the cover it providers is so limited as many are doing it.
    • When it doesn't apply. Most policies don't accept this as cover if i. you own the car ii. any other insurance covers you when driving it iii. the car is hired iv. your own car is no longer driveable/repairable
    If you are looking to cut the cost of your insurance see Car Insurance Cost Cutting System for easier ways.

    Click reply to discuss this
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 14-02-2006 at 2:34 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at

    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,167Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

  • Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

  • RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

  • Follow Martin