PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Turning cheap vodka into expensive tasting vodka

Options
I just posted this in reply to a cheap Brita water filter in another thread but i realised people might not know about it, appologies if its been posted before.

Anyway with the aid of a Brita Filter Jug you can turn cheap nasty vodka into nice expensive tasting vodka by filtering it 2 or 3 times.
There is a site here showing a group of people trying it and their results.

Have fun :)

Comments

• amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Wazza, you are now one of my gods.

Thank you for this :D
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to only buy Vladivar vodka and never liked any cheap and nasty ones. However, I tried Spar's own vodka and really, really liked it. It hasn't got the tang to it that other vodka's have. Its very smooth and drinkable. I even did a blind taste test with 3 other vodka drinkers I knew and they all preferred the Spar one to the Vladivar. So cheap doesn't always mean nasty.

This is a good tip though, Wazza. I would never have thought of doing that!
  • Serenity
    Serenity Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    Options
    Another good tip is to keep it in the freezer :rolleyes: It gets rid of the taste. This was picked up in a student dorm.. I don't drink vodka normally :D
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here is a previous thread on filtering vodka :D

Have done this every time now - MIL has never sussed. She just thinks we always buy Smirnoff ( the bottle lives on a shelf in the garage until she visits :rotfl: )
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! This is all news to me. Must have a go *hic* ;-)
  • aimeelister
    Options
    Fantastic, I know what everyones getting for their pressies this year, now to do a raid on Tescos or Asda to buy their value vodka.
    Thank v much for the post!

I wonder if this also works for Gin?????.........
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    there was also ideas put forward in a previous thread (i believe it was christmas/gift making thread) about ways of flavouring vodka to make it more interesting (though i suppose it depends on whether you're drinking it straight or as a mixer - i doubt toffee flavoured vodke would go that well with coke. then again :think: :D ..!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I mentioned this weeks ago when another OS mse on this board asked about the difference between cheap and expensive vodka.

I said yes the more expensive would have been filtered more times and would be made from ingredients.

And told them to try filtering them cheap stuff to make it smoother.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    [Cross-posted and confused]

In my home town there's a place called Bar Soviet that sells about 30 flavours of vodka, some real weird stuff in there!

Chocolate-mint is definitely my favourite! :)
  • alikat_3
    alikat_3 Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a vodka drinker myself but carrying on from Serinity, some years ago my mother had a Russian Student staying in her home, who told her always to keep the Vodka in the freezer which she does & it doesn't freeze either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport