PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cookers. Not the cheapest way

Options
I`ve been doing a few sums

I`ve just been comparing SP prices (per quarter) on the swalec band and gas comes in at 2.990 per kwh for the first 1143 units 2.334 for any more

electric is 15.217 per kwh for the first 225 units then 7.325

That throws the slow cooker concept out of the window. I have really good pans which use the absolute minimum heat to simmer and I think I`ll be doing slow simmer casseroles on my gas hob for a couple of hours from now. Slow cooker is on for at least 6-8 hours

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With me I see it as time is money. I also have an electric cooker. I can make a pan full (I have a 6.5 litre slow cooker) of bolognese which makes about 12/14 portions in mine at least, I don't have a pan this big. I don't need to constantly watch it saving me lots of time. I can leave it on while I am out which also saves me time. I can use it safely when the boys are in as they can't reach it unlike a pan on the hob.

Suppose depends what works for you. Also it depends what watts the SC uses and what gas the cooker uses when on. The power used by a SC is said to be similar to that of a lightbulb.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kittie, how much does this work out moneywise then? I have no idea when you talk about kwh's etc!

I agree with lil_me, time saving is the main reason I use my slow cooker. I seem to be able to chuck everything in so much quicker in the morning than have to prepare something in the evening after work, I think I must slow down as the day goes on lol!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To work out how much an appliance uses you must have three values:
    · The power rating or wattage of the appliance. This is found on the appliance.
    · The time the appliance is on for.
    · The cost per unit.
    APPLIANCE WATTAGE ÷ 1000 = KILOWATTS
    KILOWATTS × (TIME APPLIANCE IS ON FOR IN MINUTES ÷ 60) = kWh's
    kWh's x COST PER UNIT = TOTAL RUNNING COST OF AN APPLIANCE
    FOR THE TIME IT WAS ON FOR
    Calculations below are based on the Home Energy Tariff, with cost per unit
    of electricity = 10.69p
    VAT = 5%
    EXAMPLE: 100 watt light bulb on for 24 hours
    (100 ÷ 1000) × (1440 mins ÷ 60) = 2.4 kWh or units used
    (2.4 kWh × 10.69p) = 26p + VAT = 27p
    This means that it costs 27p to use a 100 Watt light bulb for 24 hours.
    EXAMPLE: Equivalent energy saving light bulb (20 Watts) for 24 hours
    (20 ÷ 1000) × (1440 mins ÷ 60) = 0.48 kWh or units used
    (0.48 kWh × 10.69p) = 5p + VAT = 5p
    This means that it costs just 5p to use an equivalent low energy light bulb for 24 hours.
    As you can see using a low energy saving light bulb in place of an ordinary light bulb will save you 22 pence every 24 hour period your light is on.
    You can calculate all appliances in your home using this formula.
    * Cost to run an appliance has been rounded to the nearest whole number

My SC is 300 watts (quite a high one I think compared to many) so divide by 1000 to find Kilowatts = 0.3kw
    Multiply by time used in hours, approx 4-5 so say 5 hours gives 0.3*5=1.5kwh
    Multiply this by your cost per kwH unit which is either 15.217 or 7.325 then gives

22.8255 pence (at highest rate) or 10.9875 pence (at after 225 rate)

So that's what my SC would cost to run for 5 hours in your home kittie. I don't know how much gas your cooker uses to simmer.

It's not a simple case of multiplying what amount of time an appliance is on for by the cost per kwH as all appliances use different amounts of power.

I think the wattage used by an electric hob would be much higher but have never cooked on gas so don't know. Can't find the manual for mine or I would have a look.
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my slow cooker is rated at 170 watts. Times that by hours

eg 170 X 8

=1360 watts

divide by 1000

so that equals 1.36

this is the number that you multiply by the cost of electricity. In my case it is 1.36 X 15.217

***you will find your slow cooker rating on a tab which is probably underneath***

which is 20.7 pence. That is the cost of electricity when using my slow cooker for 8 hours on high

For that cost I can use 6.9 kwh of gas

My pans are le creuset triply and they simmer nicely on the absolute lowest gas setting. The longest simmer casserole I would do is 2 hours so I will definitely be using gas this way

I am not debating the time/cost factor and if I were working or out for the day then I would use my slow cooker

I just thought that a lot of people have been sucked into using a slow cooker when that is not the best money saving option
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have never had a sc so can't comment on cost to run, but I have had an electric rice cooker for about 5 years and it would be the last 'gadget' I would get rid of...you put in washed rice, add water and turn on, go away and come back to perfectly cooked rice every time. It has a 12 hour timer and automatic keep warm facility, so can go on timed in the morning and be ready when you want it. As someone else said it is the time saving that I use it for, not so necessary now but when we were all out all day it was wonderful. I would think that the same formula would apply to the SC
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    use my method to calculate. I taught physics so am used to easy ways of getting info across to children
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Edited my post several times

So far have found only watts used when medium (gas) hob is on full which is 2000 watts, electric is 1200watts also would depend on the individual cooker. So electric uses treble the power, gas uses 6.6 times the amount. Still hunting for estimated wattage used when on low.
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am not debating the time/cost factor and if I were working or out for the day then I would use my slow cooker

Fair play, you are probably right then. I've never considered the money/energy use of either before, I only benefit from the SC as I work full time and enjoy slow cooked food. I do admit that I prefer the taste of hob cooked food, although I prefer the texture of SC'd food!!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wish I knew how many watts my hob uses lil-me but my pans even simmer on the smallest ring on the lowest setting. I did my sp readings this morning and only used £7.41 of gas in the last two months and that includes hot water and hob cooking and £41.57 of electricity

Of course electric does include fridge/freezer, tv lights and oven plus the small appliances but I know I can save more by cooking casseroles on the hob

I`ve also got a hob steamer that goes into all the pans so I`ll look into steaming next. I`ve got a big magimix steamer and I can get a full meal in there ie rice, fish, veg but I do often use it just for veg.
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My cooker the large ring uses 1600watts, I don't know how much this reduces when on lower as it just gives one figure, but can't see it being hugely as the power is still there to provide a very high heat. Going off this 1.6 Kw, to use my hob for 5 hours would cost me over three times the amount it would to use my slow cooker.

Got a friend to look in her manual for her gas cooker and hers states 2000watts on the small ring, 3000watts on the large ring. It doesn't give a gas usage when on low or high just states those figures.

If it therefore used an average of 2000watts, or close to it, it would use 6.6 times the amount of fuel the slow cooker does, so about 10kwh but as gas is cheaper it would cost £0.29 to use it for 5 hours. Still higher than a slow cooker if these figures apply which are the only ones I have to go on until I can find further info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure