PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low G.I, Cheap, Old Style Meal Ideas??

Options
Is there even such a thing?

Im in the middle of possibly being diagnosed with PCOS for which I appear to have all the text book symptoms and also suffer with terrible anxiety and depression which i am have treatment for.

It has been suggested to me that i try eating low G.I foods.

Im on a diet anyway and have lost a stone so far but have quite a way to go.

My main concern is that we only spend £80 a month on food for 2 of us and i could possibly allow £10 extra a month but with my added costs of prescriptions and all out other finances that is maximum.

Most of our meals now are based around potatoes, pasta & rice and im guessing these arent great?

We also buy lots of yellow sticker items which we base our meals around.

So, im looking for some cheap, low G.I, OS meals mainly main meals but ideas for lunch could be helpful too (though usually we have leftovers).

Ive tried to search but couldnt find anything so apologies if this has been asked before.

TIA
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Comments

• LondonDreamer
    LondonDreamer Posts: 725 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2011 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Try searching for low carb instead of low GI, it's a very similar concept since it's carbs that tend to be higher in GI and should give you some more results.

I have PCOS. It's best to limit starchy items such as bread, potatoes, rice and pasta but this isn't always practical. What I do is ensure that this is always brown/wholegrain and give myself a much smaller portion than everyone else. Mr T have a fairly cheap bag of brown basmati rice in the international foods section, it's about £3 for 2kg or try an oriental supermarket if you have one nearby. Then bulk out the rest of the plate with seasonal veg and pulses, which are usually cheaper. Most soups are great low GI meals, and are cheap and quick.

Congrats on the weight loss so far. :T
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Switch all your white carbs to whole brown ones and buy more seasonal and on offer veg. Dried pulses are good and very cheap. It shouldn't cost you much more. Also stop buying any processed/junk food, this will save you some money too. The food hospital on c4 did an episode treating someone with pcos which could give you some food ideas but it wasn't very mse.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • narabanekeater
    Options
    Hi there. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2002 after not being able to concieve. I decided to change my diet to low carb 'ish' and have gone on to have 3 children and virtuslly no PCOS symptoms. Ive also lost quite a bit of weight in the process. Low carb doesnt have to be expenisive. You can still eat veggies and cheaper meats such as bacon and eggs
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2011 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Just less starchy carbs and more fibrous ones. Potatoes are lower GI than pasta, sweet ones even more so. Wholegrain cereals, brown bread (in moderation.) Good for you for trying to change your diet to improve your health! I picked up a book in a charity shop called The PCOS Diet Book, gave it to my SIL as she suffers with that so I'll ask her if it's any good. The bits I read looked pretty good, maybe you can get in on Amazon?

ETA - yes you can and it has some good reviews

narabanekeater - re your signature, great weight loss, but you do know there's 14lb in a stone? (Sorry, I can't help it, I was born pedantic!) Feel free to join us on the Old Style weight loss thread...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you for your tips im really grateful

narabanekeater congratulations on your 3 kiddies, it gives me hope :)
  • narabanekeater
    Options
    LOL Ragz shall I confess to not knowing how to change my signature? ive lost 3 stone now and into size 12s still a bit more to go though another stone I think but that will give me a buffer zone.
    Chirpy I promise theres hope. I was only 22 at the time we wanted our 1st DD. Id always been big but wanted to loose a bit for my wedding in the Sept by the Dec I was expecting DD.
    DS was a suprise for us and very welcome as I dont have periods and my recent blessing was a shock lol but the best shock ever. Dont be affriad to consult your GP for supposrt.
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • chirpychick
    Options
    LOL Ragz shall I confess to not knowing how to change my signature? ive lost 3 stone now and into size 12s still a bit more to go though another stone I think but that will give me a buffer zone.
    Chirpy I promise theres hope. I was only 22 at the time we wanted our 1st DD. Id always been big but wanted to loose a bit for my wedding in the Sept by the Dec I was expecting DD.
    DS was a suprise for us and very welcome as I dont have periods and my recent blessing was a shock lol but the best shock ever. Dont be affriad to consult your GP for supposrt.

well done on your weight loss (i also dont remember how to change signatures lol)

luckily i have now found a wonderful GP who is really good and nice :)

we have been TTC for 5 years now so really want to do everything i can to give us the best chance possible :) hence why im looking into changing my diet as ive read so much to support low GI and PCOS.

Im in the process of running my cupboards down for a fresh start in the new year :)

Say you wanted to have cottage pie, would you just do it the normal way (maybe use quorn mince as its high protein and less fat) and use sweet potato mash?

i only learnt to cook this year so now having to use things that id not normally use is a bit of a kick in the teeth but hopefully worth all the effort!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Excellent advice LondonDreamer.

Another PCOS sufferer here with an addiction to sugar to boot...which is just about the worst food I could eat! The only food that flicks my "happy" switch in the same way that sugar does is coarse brown bulgar wheat. I usually buy it in bulk from a local Turkish supermarket (my nearest is TFC which has branches all over London - a fascinating emporium of goodies) as the big 4 sell this in tiny bags at stupid prices. You could probably access the Sth Londn stores w/o too much difficulty of you plan to come into town at some point.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I'm on my way out the door...

But get a book called 'Collins Gem: GI'

Do not buy brown, its as bad as white.

I have PCOS and Insulin resistant. I had trouble concieving, and when I did i lost my babies. I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks after this diet (im still on it) and I've lost 8 and a half stone too.

Tomorrow I will give you loads of information and help.

Get the book (£2.99 @ Amazon) it'll help you make the right decisions about food.

You want to eat granary bread, wholewheat pasta, wholewheat basmati rice and limit potatoes (eat skins on)

Yes it can be done old style... and costs can be kept low. We have £50 a week for 2 adults, 1 child and 4 pets.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • chirpychick
    Options
    I'm on my way out the door...

But get a book called 'Collins Gem: GI'

Do not buy brown, its as bad as white.

I have PCOS and Insulin resistant. I had trouble concieving, and when I did i lost my babies. I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks after this diet (im still on it) and I've lost 8 and a half stone too.

Tomorrow I will give you loads of information and help.

Get the book (£2.99 @ Amazon) it'll help you make the right decisions about food.

You want to eat granary bread, wholewheat pasta, wholewheat basmati rice and limit potatoes (eat skins on)

Yes it can be done old style... and costs can be kept low. We have £50 a week for 2 adults, 1 child and 4 pets.

I just brought this using my £3 i earned from doing surveys as the reviews look great!

I like you have also lost babies so particularly inspired by what you have said.

I also need to lose just under 8st

thank you very much, i look forward to what you have to say tomorrow.

congratulations on your baby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills