We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

[text deleted by forum team]

Options
Deep_Ocean
Deep_Ocean Posts: 553 Forumite
edited 31 January 2011 at 12:28PM in Consumer rights
This is a consumer warning more than anything else!
I purchased a scooter from a company called Direct Bikes at http://www.scooter.co.uk/ about 4 months ago. I have ridden about 100 miles on it, as I only use it to commute to my local train station rather than pay the £3.60 bus fair each day.
Within the 4 months the entire metalwork on the scooter has began to rust away. I have contacted them regarding this issue; they requested photographs which I sent to them. After viewing the photos they concluded that it was due to lack of maintenance. I have kept the bike covered whilst at home but whilst parked up at the train station I think it is a ridiculous statement that they expect it to be covered. As it was not covered they claim that is voids the warranty.

I will be filing a claim against them
[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance; You must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, or trust me, you haven't a chance.

Comments

• Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    Options
    Really? I must tell mine, ive been riding it around for just under 3 years, done 30k plus miles and its still running fine.

It sounds like a lack of maintanance to me aswell, just because you keep it covered doesnt mean you have been looking after it.

I suppose you were riding around on the gritted roads recently without washing it down after? that cant be good for the metalwork.....

Being rusty isnt covered by any bike warranty that I know of.

Did you take all the recommended steps when first getting your scooter, like changing all the oils and other liquids, gong over it with loctite apraying all exposed metal with wd40 or other stuff to help repel the water? I bet you didnt ;)

If you did it would happily plod along for years, I suggest you visit https://www.chinesescooterclub.co.uk where you will find hundreds if not thousands of happy chinese scooter owners.

Either they are all liars or you havent done something right :)

Those that do have problems are usually those who see the price and just think its a jump on and off scooter, they arent, they require alot more upkeep than the more established brands, but get it right and it will still go strong for years.
  • Deep_Ocean
    edited 31 January 2011 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Well it looks like I must have been unlucky then :)

I have ridden 75KM and no more, it is less than 4 months old, it is nothing to do with grit, it is the fact that the metalwork cannot withstand moisture. Perhaps it should have been kept in my house, only ridden in nice warm weather, and wiped down with a towel everday to ensure no damp had got to the metal work. But if this is the case then perhaps I should have continued to use my pushbike which I have had for seven years and is able to resist the rust. My pushbike has managed 7 years of being parked up without a cover on whenever I have cycled to places, not a hint of rust. Perhaps Chinese imports are usually excellent quality and perhaps they have a fantastic repuatation. On this occasion the quality in inferior and I am afraid that I have zero confidence in Chinese imports as a consequence. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
    If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance; You must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, or trust me, you haven't a chance.
  • exup
    exup Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    push bikes arent motorbikes - for one thing they don't have hot exhausts.
    My Triumph had a page in the manual advising the owner to wash it down after EVERY journey.
    Its not just Chinese bikes, you have to be careful with even the big Japanese 4 - especially Kawasakis which wll have rusting exhausts after just a couple of months if you are not careful.
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
  • Deep_Ocean
    edited 21 February 2011 at 10:45AM
    Options
    I received a written letter from Direct Bikes in response to my notification of legal action against them They warned me that if I write any further reviews I will be prosecuted. They enclosed a copy of this article in the forum which made me chuckle. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Interestingly enough, I didn’t have to look far before finding an episode of Watchdog.

If you wish to buy from [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] Direct Bikes at scooter.co.uk you will be interested to watch this short clip from BBC Watchdog.

It would seem that a number of unhappy customers have taken Direct Bikes to court, despite being successful with their claims, they are yet to pay their settlements.

:money:
  • WelshPaul
    Options
    i wouldn't ride any Chinese bikes, from what i have read they are death traps!
  • drussellh
    Options
    Prosecuted for writing reviews? What next?
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really? I must tell mine, ive been riding it around for just under 3 years, done 30k plus miles and its still running fine.

It sounds like a lack of maintanance to me aswell, just because you keep it covered doesnt mean you have been looking after it.

I suppose you were riding around on the gritted roads recently without washing it down after? that cant be good for the metalwork.....

Did you take all the recommended steps when first getting your scooter, like changing all the oils and other liquids, gong over it with loctite apraying all exposed metal with wd40 or other stuff to help repel the water? I bet you didnt ;)

If you did it would happily plod along for years, I suggest you visit www.chinesescooterclub.co.uk where you will find hundreds if not thousands of happy chinese scooter owners.

Those that do have problems are usually those who see the price and just think its a jump on and off scooter, they arent, they require alot more upkeep than the more established brands, but get it right and it will still go strong for years.

Come off it, how could you maintain a scooter like this if it is able to rust in just 4 months.

Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that you spray it with WD40 all the time.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options

If you did it would happily plod along for years, I suggest you visit www.chinesescooterclub.co.uk where you will find hundreds if not thousands of happy chinese scooter owners.

I really have not heard anything so ridiculous in all my days. Is he supposed to keep it covered while riding it in the rain as well?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    exup wrote: »
    push bikes arent motorbikes - for one thing they don't have hot exhausts.
    My Triumph had a page in the manual advising the owner to wash it down after EVERY journey.
    Its not just Chinese bikes, you have to be careful with even the big Japanese 4 - especially Kawasakis which wll have rusting exhausts after just a couple of months if you are not careful.

Oh please, I have been riding motorcycles for very nearly thirty-five years. I have never experienced such a thing. I would clean them usually about once a week, sometimes less frequently. I have never experienced rust on the scale the OP is describing. I wonder what my car should look like; I haven't cleaned that in six weeks.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • WelshPaul
    Options
    My Yamaha has been sitting outside the front of my house for the past 18 months from new, uncovered in all weather. Snow, Rain, Ice, Fog, Sun etc....

In all fairness it starts first time every time and has virtually no rust on it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport