PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HM Cheese scones

Options
Have had a quick look through mega index but can;t find a recipie for them.

After being without the use of an oven for 18months I am making the most of having one.

I used to make delish cheese scones but can;t find the recipie I used to use.

I have found a few on websites, but I prefer to ask you lot as I know you guy's are real people - lol

Thanks in advance
L
It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Here is one from the Be-Ro website.
    http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm
    HTH!!
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Rub 2oz of butter into 8oz of self raising flour. Add pinch of salt and 3 oz grated cheddar 9and pinch of mixed herbs if you like). Stir and then add enough milk to bring the mixture to a firm dough. Roll out to about 1.5cm thick and cut into rounds, taking care not to "twist" the cutter or they won't rise properly. Glaze with beaten egg and cook at 210 for 10 - 12 mins until brown.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another tip to help any cheesy baked goods, add a teaspoon of dry mustard powder. It helps enrich the cheese flavour ;)
  • glenstan
    glenstan Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    here is the farmhouse kitchen cook book recipe
    4 oz plain flour
    1\2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1\2 teaspoon salt
    1 oz margarine
    4 oz oatmeal
    2 oz grated cheese
    a little milk
    sift together in a bowl the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt
    rub in the fat, mix in oatmeal and cheese
    add enough milk to form a stiffish dough
    turn dough onto a floured board, knead lightly, roll out quite thick and cut into rounds
    put scones onto a greased baking sheet
    bake in hot oven gas 8, 450f , 230c for 12 mins
    :hello:What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made these this am. Used the Be-ro recipie and they are lovely.

I would reccomend adding a little extra cheese - i'm a cheese monster!! Also as I had no mustard powder, I used Cayenne pepper to give it that extra kick.

Also I doubled up on the ingredients so that i could deliver some to my friends mum who kindly gave us their old oven (mine broke about 18months ago) and also take some to my mum's for after lunch!

Just cooking some raspberry and white choc muffins now!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use the same recipe as Noozan. When I was without an oven for over a year the things I missed were roasts, roast potatoes, homemade cakes and cheese scones. the first batch tasted the best as I hadn't had any in so long.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • KathrynPenguin
    Options
    I had half an onion finely chopped to my cheese scones and this makes them extra yummy!
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Oh darn, I should have come here before I made cheese scones last night. Mine didn't rise!!! (or they did, a paltry amount!)

I twisted the cutter, thinking that would help release the scone from the dough around it. Doh!!!!!!!!

I will be forced to make another batch without twisting.

I used Mary Berry's recipe for a cheese scone round, but made individual ones - she says the dough should be 1cm thick for scones, before baking. Sounds to me from this thread as though they should start a little thicker than that - any thoughts?

(recipe included 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper!! They certainly have kick! If not height).
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OK - I've flicked throught the indexed thread of recipes and can't seem to find a recipe for cheese scones.

I am pretty [STRIKE]crap[/STRIKE] rubbish at baking. But my Bf keeps reminiscing about how his mum makes the best ever and they are his comfort food - hmmmm.

Anyway - I thought I'd have a quick go at them if they're easy enough - think I have all the necessary ingredients - flour, butter, milk, cheese and baking soda or bicarb???? Is that it? Just don't know about quantities and baking times/temps.

TIA
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi elisebutt65,

As we have another thread on cheese scones, I have merged yours with it as it helps other Old Style readers to find all the recipes in one thread. As always posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family