Too Sick To Work, cant claim Esa

Options
sagethecat
sagethecat Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 1 May 2016 at 1:47PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi,

I'm after some help and advice, hope someone can help.

Does anyone know if I can apply for JSA while being signed off by the doctor??

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sagethecat wrote: »
    I phoned DWP to ask when I could apply for ESA, and told I could apply (about 2 weeks ago)

I have since received a letter stating that I'm not eligible as I do not have enough NI to qualify for contributions based ESA, then only asked if my husband works full time, therefore I do not qualify for income related ESA.

So...where does that leave me??

You'll need to look at claiming PIP.
  • Brighty
    Brighty Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly the same situation my wife is in, worked full time all her life, had a couple of light years due to having kids, goes back to to work, signed off sick, not enough NI for contr ESA, I work, so no income based ESA, no JSA as she's not looking for work. Nothing, you get nothing, and you'll not get anything ever again unless you go back to work for 2 years to get your NI record back up to scratch.
    In our case, our son got awarded middle rate care disability allowance soon after, so my wife qualifies for carers allowance, but if it wasn't for that, we'd have got nothing either.

Brighty
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview

The above might be worth a look.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have since received a letter stating that I'm not eligible as I do not have enough NI to qualify for contributions based ESA, then only asked if my husband works full time, therefore I do not qualify for income related ESA.

Does anyone know if I can apply for JSA while being signed off by the doctor??
    JSA will use the same NI contributions years as ESA so if you do not qualify for contributions based for one, you will not qualify for contributions based of the other.
    as well as PIP, have a look at benefits that are based on household income, tax credits, housing benefit etc. depending on your husbands income you may get some help but there is nothing to specifically replace your wages
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    How much does your partner earn?
  • sagethecat
    sagethecat Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2016 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I will try to remember to respond to all of you. here goes.

I made a claim for PIP which was successful in Feb this year, I now receive Highest rate for mobility and Daily Living. But this money is used for the purpose for which it is intended a car-mobility and things to ease my daily living.

Brighy, its interesting to hear that someone else is left in an awful situation, there must be so many people in this position. I cant believe the system allows this to happen

When I spoke to the CAB earlier this week, he said there was an unnamed group the Job Centre/DWP are aware of that people like myself are put into when we have limited capability for work due to health. When ESA wont take us for whatever reason. Has anyone else heard of this

Thanks again for all your replies, hope ive covered it all
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    I wasn't asking your partners income to make a dig at you. I was asking to see if you would be entitled to tax credits and child benefit, which you are. As well as your PIP so not a case that you can't claim anything, just that you can't claim ESA.

Are you receiving both tax credits and child benefit?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I feel your pain. I get no money but just ESA credits towards my state pension.

Even if you'd got ESA it would only have been a year unless you were in the support group.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • sagethecat
    Options
    Sorry Darksparkle, i didnt mean to come acrosss rude, i was just under pressure for time, with a small child and all.
    My tax credits have been wrong from the beginning, so given, taken away, given and taken away. All by DWP errors. I think i we will get some tax credits, but we are taking the option to put our child in two mornings a week so i can rest, which is what i need to recover and renew. But we will not get any working tax credits as my husband earns too much appariently!!??
    Thanks Torry Quinne it is frustrating when you try to do the right thing and get penalised for it. One year would have been better than nothing. Sometimes i feel im being forced to work when i simply cant. I think we will have to muddle through until my PIP end s ot is renewed and see what happens next.
    Thanks all for taking the time to give me the info. Much appreciated.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Sorry Darksparkle, i didnt mean to come acrosss rude, i was just under pressure for time, with a small child and all.
    My tax credits have been wrong from the beginning, so given, taken away, given and taken away. All by DWP errors. I think i we will get some tax credits, but we are taking the option to put our child in two mornings a week so i can rest, which is what i need to recover and renew. But we will not get any working tax credits as my husband earns too much appariently!!??

I understand. I have a 3 week old!

Yes he earns too much for WTC but you should still be getting CTC. As on PIP you can also get help with childcare.

Call them and go through all your circumstances to make sure they have everything up to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure