PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

apples storage

Options
i am luck enough to have loads of apples growing, both cookers and eaters, and of superb quality and taste, and it seems a shame to let them drop off and rot. i have been stewing apples for the past couple of days and freezing them for pies in the winter,(plenty of space in my brand new freezer), nearly every one of my neighbours and friends, and more have helped themselves, but last winter i resented the fact that i was buying apples in the supermarket when i also had a good crop last year, but again there are loads this year, however i've never known how to store them properly.
i have a large brick outbuilding so storing them would be no prob.

any suggestions would be appreciated
Give blood - its free

Comments

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we have a lot of apples everyyear, I wrap each apple in newspaper and then put them in a carboard box in our shed, you have to make sure the apples are perfect..no bruises or blemishes,they should last for months.
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    Mum used to wrap cooking apples in newspaper and store in the loft during the winter (dark and cool). You need to check them over every month or so as a few will inevitably go off, but most will last the whole winter.
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    My mum used to store apples too. You need to make sure that they don't get frosted.

I'm currently looking into food dryers/dehydrators.

OH loves dried apple either on shop bought or as part of home made muesli mix. He's also into lots of other dried fruit for breakfast. So we thought drying might be a good way of storage, once it's dried you just need to keep it like any other dried food.

We've tried drying on trays in our normal oven, but it doesn't work so well, and probably expensive on electric so not really moneysaving.
  • cath-w
    cath-w Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know the type of apple trees you have? If so you can get a good idea of how long the apples will store for. I have two varieties, (1) which does not store and needs to be eaten immediately and the second variety can be stored right through the winter until March.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Another alternative for storing cooked apples when the freezer is full is to bottle them.

You don't have to only use preserving jars. I've exhausted my supply of Kilner Jar lids so am now recycling sauce and pickle jars quite successfully.

The advantages of bottling are there is no ongoing electicity storage cost as with freezers, there is no loss if you have a power cut and the fruit is available for use as soon as the lid comes off.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • betterbargains4u
    Options
    I have a glut of cooking and eating apples, and want to know what is the best way to store them and how long I can expect them to last for?
    When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apples keep really well, and for months if you can keep them somewwhere cool and dry - garage or shed is good. But you need to make sure the apples you are storing are in good nick - bruised ones won't keep.

I wrap mine in newspaper and keep them on trays. Some do go wrinkly but they are generally ok for baking/sauces etc.

You don't mention them, but pears can be stored too.
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We always used to store our apples in the garage on shelves lined with newspaper. Make sure that they don't touch each other, though, because if one has any rot on it, it can ruin all of them. They keep for months and months.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    watch the eating apples though, some of mine are james grieve and they dont keep very long
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    cant you stew them down in a pan with water and sugar then cool and freeze ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure