PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Nettle recipes- Food from the wild.

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Moderator
    Options
    Now that all is explained can we ALL leave it at that PLEASE.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thankyou Franky for the original post.......

I used to make nettle soup with my mum, but when she died the recipe went too, going to give yours a go.

Only thing is, I won't take my kids with me to gather nettles.......I still cringe with embarrassment at memories of school friends seeing me and mum picking them. In my adolescent mind I thought they must think we were really really poor!

Pink
  • franky
    franky Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    have you tried the nettle soup yet Pink :)
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not yet Franky,

Hoping to give it a go on monday or tuesday......if it ever stops raining!

Do you know if it freezes?

Pink
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    Remember to wear gloves when picking but Nettles don't sting when cooked!
    Nettles are very nutrient rich and of course - [glow=red,2,300]free[/glow]! Don't gather them beside  roads where they will have been contaminated by traffic fumes. If you have them in your garden and keep cutting them you get a regular supply of fresh leaves,

Ingredients:

2 tbs of oil

1 onion, chopped

3 tbs of flour

2 cloves garlic, chopped

3 handfuls of freshly picked and washed young nettles

2 cups soya milk

2 cups water or stock

salt and pepper to taste

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil  for a few minutes then stir in the nettles until soft. Stir in the flour and gradually add the soya milk and water or stock, stirring all the time. Add seasoning and liquidise.

Does anyone know what nettle soup tastes like? If its possible to give a description,

On a similar note my friend gave me some nettle tea bags, knowing I like fruit tea. She had bought them for herself but couldn't bring herself to drink them. Well they've been in th cupboard unopened for the past 3 months. After seeing this thread, I'll have to make the effort to at least try them.

Thanks
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No idea what it tastes like but while searching I found this.............................
    "The best for soups and salads are the youngest upper two or four leaves. Do not make this soup after June as nettles then start to form oxalic acid and can cause tummy ache."

http://personalchef.uk.com/Recipes.html

but then I found this.................
    "They have the punchy, iron-rich taste of spinach with a zesty kick that comes from the silicic and formic acid in their sting. "
    so presumably it tastes like spinach ;D

http://www.rivercottage.net/food/products.jsp?food=products
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's impossible to describe, puddytat........and mine is a long gone memory.......

If I remember rightly it had a 'kick', if you know what I mean.........well actually I don't really know what I mean, think it was a sort of peppery taste.

I think if you enjoy green leafy veggies you will probably enjoy this.

Now.........assuming rain stays off.........where to go?

Somewhere not polluted by traffic,

And somewhere with high nettles.........ie those not piddled on by dogs!

Pink
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    Thanks Trafalga and pink winged. Hmmmm peppery taste - that doesn't sound too bad.

The problem is now where to find the nettles???

Thanks again
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks again Franky,

Sunshine here all day, so went to pick nettles.......local out-door museum, so no traffic fumes and very few dogs piddling (my two main concerns).

It brought back many childhood memories for me, but better still all three of my children enjoyed it, especially my youngest (four) who was delighted by the idea of eating nettles and not being stung!

So tea tonight was;

nettle soup with home-made wheaten bread, followed by home made apple pie..........and to my shame :-[ tinned custard!

I recon if I'd made my own custard the meal might just have rivalled the 'Feed 6 for £1.62' thread........though then again maybe it wouldn't, because there are only five of us!

Pink
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my aunty used to make nettle soup and i am sure the one we used to have seemed like peppery mushroom soup, but naybe that was only cos it was creamy.

it's been nice watching this thread grow (unlike nettles) :)
    Blah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport