AOL correct connection settings - contradictory information provided by the support.

Options
It is confusing what are the correct broadband connection settings. The information provided by the AOL technical support is contradictory (even the same person provided me with two different answers during the same Live Help session - see below). Also when asked apparently too difficult questions they just dissconnect (without giving cutomer any time to react) ending the live help session - that happened twice today (and there have been only three sessions, the third one was disconnected due to dial-up connection hang up).

Some examples:

[...]
20:30:24Peter001You need to click Apply and restart the router for changes to take effect.
20:31:34System Peter001 has left this session!
20:31:34System The session has ended!

Another session:

21:25:28System Pankaj K has joined this session!
21:25:28System Connected with Pankaj K
21:25:28System Welcome to AOL Live Help. How might I be of service to you?
21:25:38Pankaj K Thank you for contacting AOL Live Help. My name is Pankaj.
How may I assist you today?
21:27:40You Hi!
21:27:48Pankaj K Hi
21:28:31You I have been disconnected when discussing the issue previously.
I already know that AOL connection is down due to a problem on your side.
21:28:47You I also received your e-mail with proper modem settings
21:29:27You But in that e-mail I do not see what should be Multiplexing
method
21:29:47You My modem-router automatically detects and sets the line
connection as follows:
Encapsulation: PPPoA
Multiplexing method: VC-BASED
MTU Size: 1458

But actually I had a bit better speeds when I set it manually to:
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Multiplexing method: LLC-BASED
MTU Size: 1492

21:31:16You A year ago you told me to set it as PPPoA, now the e-mail which I received from you today says about PPPoE and MTU 1400 (why so low?), but not a word about multiplexing.
21:32:59Pankaj K I apologise to inform you that due to a major maintenance
work being performed on AOL servers lots of members are facing this issue
and the issue will get resolved in next 24 hours time, if the issue still
persist after 24 hours please come to Live Help so that we can assist you
further on.
21:34:24You OK. So was it planned maintanence or some unexpected troubles
(what kind?)? However, I am now asking about the issues regarding the line configuration
which are not connected to the current down time.
21:34:49You Can you advice about the correct multiplexing method?
21:35:39Pankaj K Earlier AOL used to support WEP method but it was later
changed to WPA Method.
21:37:32You So which setting quoted above is correct, the first one?
21:38:29Pankaj K The first one
21:40:20Pankaj K You can get more details by visiting the Keyword : WPA
21:40:39You So why the e-mail, which I received from you says about PPPoE
as AOL setting and MTU 1400 (and does not say anything about multiplexing
method)?
21:40:50Pankaj K Is there anything else I can help you with?
21:41:25You Yes, cannot you see my question above?
21:41:41You Part of your e-mail:
21:41:46You 3. Once you have accessed the router's configuration settings
click WAN Setup on the menu under the Advanced heading. Change the MTU
size to 1400 and click Apply.
4. Click ADSL Settings on the menu under the Setup heading. Change the
Multiplexing method to LLc based, change the VPI to 0 (zero) and the VCI
to 38. Click Apply.
5. Click Basic Settings on the menu under the Setup heading. Change the
Encapsulation to PPPoE. Enter your AOL email address in the Login box.
Enter your AOL password in the password box. Click Apply.

21:41:50Pankaj K I hope you have got the information you were looking for
now.
21:43:03You I still do not know what is the correct setting due to
the contradictory information.

21:44:10Pankaj K Could you please let me know the name and make of your
Wireless router?
21:44:57You netgear DG834G
21:47:40Pankaj K Multiplexing method should be LLC-Based
21:48:12You and the rest?
21:48:40Pankaj K Rest are what you already know.
21:49:22You PPPoA or PPPoE and what MTU?
21:50:00Pankaj K PPPoE and MTU 1400
21:50:48You So the information you provided me with earlier on that it is PPPoA has been incorrect?
21:51:10Pankaj K That was supported earlier but not now.
21:53:04You But you told me "the first one [meaning PPPoA]" and "Earlier AOL used to support WEP method but it was later changed to WPA Method", so it seemed the other way round? BTW, why is it only 1400? The standard MTU is 1492.
21:53:41Pankaj K For further information, please call our technical support
department on 0844 499 5555 (8am to midnight). See
http://help.aol.co.uk/article/20060802100909990002 for details of call
charges. Thank you.
21:54:14You Can you please explain why I have slow connection speeds (when
I have a connection) like only 4000 kbs at night, and only 360 kbps at
evenings.
21:55:11Pankaj K We are experiencing a temporary problem with this issue
and our technical team is already working to fix the problem as soon as
possible. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and we look forward for your co-operation in this regard.
21:56:49You The slow connection speeds are not connected to the current
issue, as I have such speeds most of the time, since you upgraded my line,
only at first month it was sometimes 6,5 Mbps, and last weeks not more than 4,5 Mbps, and at evenings ca. 360.
21:59:21Pankaj K The records show that your account was recently upgraded
to 8 Mbps connection.
21:59:51Pankaj K It takes 10-15 days to stabilize the line speed.
22:00:52You I never have 8 Mbps, despite the fact that that is the speed
with which my router connects. The highest ever was 6,5 Mbps, but in
recent weeks only up to 4,5 Mbps, and at evening always 360 kbps.
22:01:28You It has been already many more days than that (over 2 months).
22:02:45You Besides the router seetings always show 8 Mbps connection, but
that is what I have never achieved in the real downloading speeds, and I am only 300 m from the exchange.
22:04:31You Some examples of my connection speeds:
22:04:34Youhttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1202417642846
12015004.html
22:05:17Youhttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1202924360295
94212004.html
22:05:54Youhttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1203276228669
26431261.html
22:06:19Youhttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1205716768605
28919305.html
22:06:38Youhttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1203276228669
26431261.html
22:06:57Youhttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1202765094786
8784509.html
22:07:39You Always the modem-router says that it is connected:
22:07:58You DownStream Connection Speed 8192 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
22:09:02Pankaj K Downstream speed that you have mentioned means that you
are getting a speed of 8 Mbps.
22:09:50You That what the modem says, but I never ever get speeds even
close to that speed, as you can see from the test charts links above.
22:11:32Pankaj K For further information, please call our technical support
department on 0844 499 5555 (8am to midnight). See
http://help.aol.co.uk/article/20060802100909990002 for details of call
charges. Thank you.
22:12:13Pankaj K Thank you for calling into AOL Live Help, please come back
to us if you have any further queries. Goodbye : )
22:12:13System Pankaj K has left this session!
22:12:13System The session has ended!

AOL e-mail:

Subject: Complete install Netgear DG834G
Date sent: Wed, 19 Mar 2008

Dear AOL member,
Thank you for contacting AOL. Did you know that you could find answers to many AOL questions at AOL Keyword: Help? To access any AOL Keyword, just type it into the browser address bar at the top of your AOL desktop. Advice on using the internet, email, technical and security issues, and billing information - including changing your account details online - are all available 24 hours a day.
Following our telephone conversation, here is the essential information necessary to connect to the AOL service using a broadband router.
Physical setup
In order to maintain a stable broadband connection it is important that the physical connections (cables and hardware) are set up correctly. The following guidelines will result in the best connection to AOL:
1. The broadband filters (small white boxes) that were in your broadband pack must be connected to all of the phone sockets that are in use in your home. These filters separate the broadband signal from the voice signal that travels along your phone line. If these filters are not fitted to every socket in use directly (before any splitters/adapters/extension leads that are in use) AOL cannot guarantee a stable broadband service.
2. Your broadband router must be connected to the DSL socket on the broadband filter that is connected to your master telephone socket using the RJ11 cable supplied in your broadband pack or a similar cable not more than 10m long. If this is not the case, AOL cannot guarantee a stable broadband service. The ethernet cable that connects your router to your computer can be up to 100m long.
3. All other telephony equipment (phones/faxes/alarm systems/Sky boxes/dial-up modems/extension leads/ splitters) must be connected to your phone line through the phone socket on a broadband filter. If this is not the case, AOL cannot guarantee a stable broadband service.
4. If more than four telephone sockets are in use, AOL cannot guarantee a stable broadband service.
For more information on the physical setup for AOL broadband, please click here
Configuring your Netgear DG834 broadband router
In order to initially configure your router, it must be connected physically to your computer.
Once the router is connected to the computer using an ethernet cable and is powered on, follow these instructions:
1. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer or Safari) and enter http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar. Press enter on your keyboard.
2. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. The username is admin and the password is password. Note: if you receive any other message, please refer to AOL Keyword: Help.
3. Once you have accessed the router's configuration settings click WAN Setup on the menu under the Advanced heading. Change the MTU size to 1400 and click Apply.
4. Click ADSL Settings on the menu under the Setup heading. Change the Multiplexing method to LLc based, change the VPI to 0 (zero) and the VCI to 38. Click Apply.
5. Click Basic Settings on the menu under the Setup heading. Change the Encapsulation to PPPoE. Enter your AOL email address in the Login box. Enter your AOL password in the password box. Click Apply.
Screen name information:
When entering your screen name/username on your router it must follow the four rules below:
1. You must enter your screen name in lowercase letters.
2. Your screen name must be your master AOL email address, ie your [EMAIL="screenname@aol.com."]screenname@aol.com.[/EMAIL]
3. Your screen name must not contain any spaces.
4. The screen name must have General (18+) parental controls access (not Mature Teen, Young Teen or Kids Only).
Password information:
When entering your password on your router it must follow the three rules below:
1. The password must be between six to eight characters long (ie if it has nine characters or more, you will need to change it. You can do this at AOL Keyword: Password).
2. The password must consist of letters and numbers only (ie no special characters, such as ! £ ? % and spaces).
3. The password must only be in lower case.
Your router will now be connected to the AOL network. Opening another Internet Explorer window will allow you to access the internet by entering website addresses into the address bar and clicking Go.
For information on how to configure AOL to access the internet using your router connection see the last section of this email.
Configuring your Netgear DG834g broadband router's wireless settings
If you are planning to use your AOL broadband wirelessly, it is necessary to set up wireless security so that other people in range of your router cannot use you broadband connection wirelessly without your knowledge.
Before continuing with these steps you should already be able to access the internet using a wired connection between your computer and router. If you cannot, then refer to the earlier sections of this email.
1. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer or Safari) and enter http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar. Press enter on your keyboard.
2. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. The username is admin and the password is password. Note: if you receive any other message, please refer to AOL Keyword: Help.
3. Once you have accessed the router's configuration settings, click Wireless Settings on the menu under the Setup heading. It is advisable that you change the Name (SSID) setting to something that is easily recognisable to you.
4. Change the Channel setting to 01.
5. Click the circle next to WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key).
6. In the Network Key box enter a password for your wireless network. Make a note of this.
7. Click Apply.
Your router's wireless settings are now configured. If you intend to create a wireless connection to the router, move on to the next section of this email.
Configuring your wireless adapter (Windows XP)
In order to create a wireless connection from your computer to your router, a wireless adapter must be installed on your computer.
On some computers this will be built in, on others it is a USB or PCMCIA device. For step-by-step guides on how to install AOL supported wireless adapters click here. As well as the wireless adapters listed AOL also provides support for Intel Centrino-based laptops.
In order to successfully complete the following instructions you must have completed the previous section of this email. You must be able to access the internet using a wired connection (when a wire is connected) between your router and computer, and you must have configured the wireless settings of your router.
1. Ensure that your wireless adapter is installed, plugged into your computer (if it is not built in to your computer) and powered on if it has its own power button (the location of a power button will be shown in the manufacturer's literature). Most laptops with built-in wireless adapters will have a wireless on switch.
2. Click Start, then Control Panel (switch to Category view on the left-hand menu if available) and double-click Network Connections.
3. Locate the Wireless Network Connection and right-click it. Click View Available Wireless Networks.
4. Highlight your network and click Connect. This will be the network name entered during the previous steps of this email.
Note: If your network is not displayed, click Refresh Network List. If you receive a message similar to "Windows cannot manage this wireless connection", click Advanced Settings. Click the Wireless Networks tab and tick "Allow Windows to manage this wireless connection". Click OK and begin this section again.
If "Windows cannot manage this wireless connection" still appears, click here for tutorials on how to configure AOL supported wireless adapters using the manufacturerâ™s software. If you are attempting these steps using a wireless adapter not listed here, further support will be provided by the manufacturer of the wireless adapter.
Configuring your wireless adapter (Apple Mac OS 10.3 &10.4 & 10.5)
In order to create a wireless connection from your Mac to your router, an internal Airport adapter must be installed on your Mac.
In order to successfully complete the following instructions you must have completed the previous section of this email. You must be able to access the internet using a wired connection (when a wire is connected) between your router and computer, and you must have configured the wireless settings of your router.
1. Click the wireless icon in the top right hand corner of the screen (fan shaped icon).
2. Your wireless network name (as noted during previuos steps) will be listed in a popup menu. Click on your wireless network.
3. Enter your network password (as noted during previous steps). Click OK.
Configuring AOL to connect using a router (Windows only)
In order to successfully complete these steps you must be able to access web pages using Internet Explorer. If you cannot, please refer to earlier sections of this email.
1. Open AOL and click Connect options. Click Create a Dial-Up location.
2. Select Broadband/Other ISP and click Next.
3. If prompted enter your AOL password.
Remember
There's a dedicated team of customer service representatives trained to answer your questions from 8am to midnight, seven days a week on 0844 499 5555. See AOL Keyword: Support Me for details of call charges.
Kind regards,
AOL Broadband Member Services.

AOL 9.0 VR is smoother, faster and safer than ever before - and it gives you more tools to use the internet the way you want. Video Instant Messenger and AOL Talk IM allow you to see and hear your friends online as you talk to them, using a webcam and microphone - at no extra cost.
AOL Broadband is provided by TPH Services Sàrl, registered in Luxembourg under number B 122 040 with a corporate address at Batiment Green Office Park, Parc d'Activite Syrdall, 6,L-5365 Munsbach, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure