Servicing for a Peugeot 307?

Options
Hi, I hope someone can help.
It's a long story but basically I split from my partner last year and he bought the jointly owned car from me, a peugeot 307 2002 (52 REG), 1.6, 5 door. I have now moved overseas. I had the car for the last few months I was in the country because I needed it for work, but I let him borrow it whenever he needed to. I also left him money to get it serviced after I left, which he did, but through Peugeot themselves. This cost 250 pounds alone:eek: , then they said it needed another 800 pounds worth of work :eek: :eek: . I was extremely suspicious, partly because I got it MOT'd right before I left and all it needed was a lightbulb, and it was driving very well, although with a squeak every now and then. I got him to get them to break down the costs, and I am still very suspicious, but here it is:
(L=labour, P=part cost)

Front brake pads L = £52.56 P = £36.90
rear brake pads L= £54.00 P = £32.30
Timing belt worn L = 101.25 P = £82.90
Aux drive belt worn P = £11.80
pollen filter blocked L = £13.50 P = £10.29
wishbone bush split L = £67.50 P = £48.96
The squeak L = 38.75 P = 8.32

L = £327.56 P = £231.47 Total net = £559.03 + VAT = £656.86

£656.86 + £120 (tyres) = £776.86

The thing I am most interested in is are these reasonable labour costs? They have told him it will all be done in one day. I know the parts are available far cheaper on the internet, for example brake pads are nearly half the price.

My ex-partner wants me to pay half as it was 'wear and tear while the car was jointly owned'. I don't really think he is trying to rip me off, but he knows nothing about cars (but you can't say that to men!) and I think they are completely taking the mick, and I wouldn't be taking it back to them if I had the choice. Things like the 52.56 for labour for the front brake pads - what is 56p worth of labour? I think when he asked for a breakdown they worked backwards from the total they'd already given him.

Also, they have told him this is stuff that needs to be done 'urgently' but I feel a lot of it is maintenance items. The brake pads and tyres are not dangerously worn at all, completely within safety limits still, a month after I handed it over, and he was told they would wear out 'in a few months'. Also, the car has quite low mileage, about 40,000 so it's not very 'worn' for a 5 year old car.
:confused:
Any ideas?

Comments

• steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sounds about right really

cant really afford to take a chance on the cam belt can you

wishbone bush could be left till its mentioned on a mot

brakes...well dealers depend on you being scared for your safety so they nearly always mention brakes as 99% get em done ....you could ask how worn the pads are and how many miles are left on them
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These prices are a bit too.. low:confused:, sound like a good deal , cam belt alone can cost around £200 to replace on a Pug307, very reasonable and genuine prices for the brakes etc' I know we had a 307 for 2 years (terrible reliability issues, however got shot of it now driving a Rover 45 which is 10 times better and reliable even tho it is a bit older) :T
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    My take on this is that as he will be getting all the future benefit from the service work then he should foot the bill, I think by paying for the work you have had done, you have already more than paid your share. Now that really is a moneysaver for you:T
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Erm, shop around.........

Front and rear pads should be no more than £25 for the lot.
    Have the belts checked by another garage.
    Pollen filter - hoover it out.
    Wishbone split - have it done.
    Tyres - shop around - see other threads on here about tyres.

Do it this way and save about £500
  • goldspanners
    Options

I know the parts are available far cheaper on the internet, for example brake pads are nearly half the price.

for dealer prices these look ok. but as others have said shop around,get the cam belt and aux drive belts done at your dealer as these can be done together on the one labour charge as the aux belt would need to come off to do the cam belt,even though it only has 40k on it,it has still been under strain and tension for 5 years so get this done,the price they have quoted is good for this,i doubt you would get it much cheaper with genuine parts.
    get the brakes checked elsewhere,and find a cheaper labour rate than this,it should take around an hour and a half to do all pads,dont put "cheap pads" on it,they will nedd changing again in 6 months.
    the wishbone bush part price looks a bit hefty,ask the person who deos your brakes about this.
    tyres- check https://www.blackcircles.co.uk choose your tyre and find a local fitting station near you on thier website,the price you see is the price you pay.good discounts,i wouldnt expect to pay around £50 per tyre fitted for a half decent one.
    ...work permit granted!
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just looking at the prices - the parts seem ok to be honest (advise against £25.00 for pads all round - cheap and they will be, can't be so cheap on brakes, they'd be c*ap).

The labour seems ok'ish - could do better - labour wise re pads, half hour front and half hour to do rear. So looks to me (sums permitting) that they are charging around £100 an hour and that's a bit dear to be honest - but that is dealer prices.

Personally? You've split now, bit of goodwill - split the cost, and move on - you' ll probably feel real good for the gesture x (Just so long as it ends there and you're not asked to contribute to something else....!)

Be happy x
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Just looking at the prices - the parts seem ok to be honest (advise against £25.00 for pads all round - cheap and they will be, can't be so cheap on brakes, they'd be c*ap).

Far from it...

I work in the motor trade and that what I pay for them from main dealers...

The general public are great at being mugs tho lol.
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    The price for the pads is a ripoff. You could source them yourself from eurocarparts for a lot less than that.

£83 for a timing belt? Made of gold is it?

Pollen filter blocked on a 5 year old car? Leave it. So long as air is blowing into the cabin, its fine for now.

£50 for a wishbone bush :D £50 is fine for a wishbone, but for a rubber/poly bush? They're having a laugh.

Do yourself a favour, if you want all those things repaired, source the parts yourself, and not from a dealer that probably has polished marble floors.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have the car in your posession you can usually check the pad thickness yourself. Take off the wheel and look at the caliper with the disc behind it. There is usually a viewing window that lets you see the thickness of the material left on the pads. Repeat for each wheel, tightening up the wheel bolts nice and tight when replacing the wheels. The manufacturer will have set specifications on the minimum thickness they should be, but bear in mind they want to make money on them. I would hazard a guess that 2mm+ should be fine. If you can't be arsed with taking the wheels off, it could be worth asking the garage the minimum thickness level and asking how thick yours are.

If he is harsh on the brakes and drives it like an idiot then this is likely to have contributed to brake pad wear and wearing of the wishbone bush, so it's not 50/50 in that case. Also he probably drove it most? But with the agro you'd probably have getting those two facts into his head, it's probably easier to give him what he wants and send him on his way.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Some soft !!!!! that I know took his car in for a new tyre cos it was bald......... While it was in there they pointed out that the front pads and discs were worn along with the rear pads and discs, front shockers were duff and the exhaust needed replacing...

All of which he said "Oh ok then, do it..."

£1000 later he's now moaning...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family