HELP! Can we go to Florida with a former convict??!!

Options
A few months ago I booked a family holiday to Orlando with wife, 4 kids and her parents when I later found out in casual conversation that my father in law spend a week in prison for non-payment of poll tax about 25 years ago. I knew nothing about this when I booked, but I remember being asked if any of us had a criminal conviction which I said no to (not sure if it was a criminal offence but I think it was).

We go in September - do you think he can go? Do we need to contact the passport office to find out?

Comments

• talksalot81
    talksalot81 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Options
    Given it is early enough, Id get in touch with the passport people, though I would personally be wary that this might flag up his name when it might otherwise have been forgotten. I believe that he wouldnt necessarily be stopped from going altogether, just may be obliged to get a visa to allow him in. Though in all honesty, a minor crime so many years ago may be of no concern to anyone (but this is america so i guess its best not to second guess!)

Adam
    2 + 2 = 4
    except for the general public when it can mean whatever they want it to.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually it is serious, according to US regulations dad does have to get a visa and that means filling in the form, handing over lots of money, getting an interview with the US embassy in London and then - hopefully - getting a visa.

But this process does take several weeks especially as dad has to get details about his convictions prior to the interview

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/add_crime.html

But now the only hope is that the UK authorities haven't got dad's crimes on file and that therefore the US authorities won't knw he's been convicted. He's also going to have to lie (which is an offence in itself) on the Visa Waiver form.

If he is detained in the US, then he'll be sent back at his own expense AND he won't be allowed into the US for at least a decade and it will affect trips to other countries as well

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html
    Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), certain serious communicable illnesses, those who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP. Such travelers must apply for special restricted visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they may be refused entry into the United States.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/add_req.html
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    The US Department of State website gives typical times to get a visa here.

If he were caught out at the border, the consequences might be considerably more unpleasant than suggested by Alan. They include: being detained for up to forty eight hours; being shackled and given minimal food or water, while detained; having no contact with you, legal representation or anyone else from the outside world, while detained; before being sent back to the UK. The authority's position would be one of: he is a criminal for trying to enter illegally; he is not a US citizen, he is not even officially in the US, and therefore he has virtually no rights.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Uncle_Cuddles
    Uncle_Cuddles Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a criminal offence though? He was never arrested, just summonsed to the local magistrates court, was fined for non-payment of poll-tax, told them he couldn't pay, so was sentence to a week inside instead.
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a criminal offence though?
    No. So, no visa is needed. I don't think describing him as a former convict was entirely helpful, though ;). Given the potentially dire consequences of getting it wrong, I suggest you get this confirmed via your Citizens Advice Bureau.

It would have been perfectly possibly to have ended up with a criminal conviction, in a slightly different situation. If he had ended up in prison for failing to provide requested financial information at the liability order hearing, it would have been a criminal conviction.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    Options
    To the US government he has served a jail term, therefore he is a criminal.

Visa definitely needed - assuming that the details have been recorded by the UK authorities and the US has access to them
  • zodiac
    zodiac Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    That really sucks, let us know how you get on
    I remember when this was just a little website! :money:
  • Baz-Bee
    Baz-Bee Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    This is back on the old question again.

To be safe the answer has to be get a VISA. Will cost about £60 and normally asts as long as your passoport is valid.

However, I would say the chances of him getting stopped by US Immigration are the same as winning the lottery. We all have a chance, but know that it is unlikely to be us.

Firstly you would not have to lie on the Visa Waiver Form (I-94W) that you fill in (normally on the plane). The question that it asks reads:

“Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?”

If you read it properly and also look up the definition of “turpitude” you will realise that most minor offences are not covered by the question. I know the Yanks are a bit strange when it comes to words and phrase, but even they could not come up with such a wordy and verbose question if all they wanted to ask was “have you ever been arrested and/or convicted of any offense”? Could they?

Furthermore, how do you think they would know whether anyone has a been arrested or has conviction? The UK and US authorities do not routinely exchange information excepting that relating to international crimes, terrorism and similar. And in any case the UK system is so useless they have probably lost any trace of your relatives file anyway. And, even if they did still have and US also had it how do you think they would be able to associated the person in the file with the person entering the US? Your Passport does not contain your address only name, DoB and place of birth. So trying to associate a 25 year old convictionwith someone with just that basic info would be nigh on impossible.

My advice is do not worry about it, tick the NO box on the Visa Waiver Form and enjoy your holiday. If you are travelling as a familly they will not give you a second glance.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Baz-Bee,
    Bravo, I agree 100% with what you say, and it should to be stated again and again. Too many people get misleading advice and go to a lot of unnecessary trouble and expence obtaining a Visa that is not needed.

This subject usually generates a response; see the other current thread on this subject. More usually it is the opinion(totally unsuported by any regulation)that any traffic offence that goes to court means you need a visa.

It also often seems to produce unhelpful, and in my opinion incorrect, statements such as alanrowell’s

“To the US government he has served a jail term, therefore he is a criminal.
    Visa definitely needed”

e.g. a personal interpretation of the regulations stated in an authoritative manner.
    Or perhaps alanrowell can produce a regulation to support his statement?

As you say the only question you need to answer is that on the I-94W which you quote in full. The other thread gives links that show examples of crimes that involve moral turpitude; and these are serious crimes. Even manslaughter and a fourth conviction for driving under the influence are not crimes involving moral turpitude.

It seems to me the man in question can quite clearly answer ‘No’ to the relevant question on the I-94W.

Personally I do not recommend that anyone should lie on the I-94W and in this case he is not lying. However what possible chance is there of the US authorities finding out(even if they wanted to) about a 25 year old case involving non payment of a fine for a civil offence.
  • Uncle_Cuddles
    Uncle_Cuddles Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I think it is too tight timewise to apply for a visa now, so he is just going to go for it. Some of the comments I have seen on the internet are ott, particularly no one has ever heard of anyone being pulled up except a "friend of a friend".

I'm a bit paranoid but my wife and her dad aren't particularly worried. They'll waltze through and they'll pick up the shifty looking sweaty bloke (me)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure