DONT install messenger PLus

Options
shrek101
shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
My xxxxxx kids have installed this xxxxx thing on two pc's. Messenger Plus containers spyware that infects your pc with a toolbar, a taskbar and hijacks your browser. I have spent the last 2 hours with various anti spyware to try and rid this xxxxware off the pc. I have got to the stage where I can throw the pc out of the window, its that bad. I tried the usually spyware stuff and its rid it off some enteries but it juts keeps coming back for more. The only solution is a reformat.

I tried MS spyware, Hijack this, spyroot, serach and destory and many other and serach on the net for a solution but alas it doesnt apepar to be a real solution to rid this thing off the pc. The toolbar contains links to p[orn, gambling and other activities not suited for kids.

I hate the company LOP they are XXum. Even on there web site the removal/uninstall prgram is according to AVG infected with a virus.

Just a warning, kids, pc, internet just dont go

I also and very careful what I install, and always have latest updates, virus, firewall etc etc.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you

Comments

• lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Do we have the same product? mine's from
    http://www.msgplus.net/
    and it doesnt appear to have spyware or any of the problems above

it may be a different thing as I cant find any reference to LOP?
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you read the FAQ on their website it is very clear :

Messenger Plus! comes with an optional sponsor program that you can decide to install or not during the setup (which is the same whether it's a new installation or an update. The question is always asked and nothing is ever selected by default). This program will show ads from time to time on your computer, will add a search bar in Internet Explorer and will also change your start page. In NO case this sponsor is mandatory or dangerous. If you don't want it, simply refuse the sponsor agreement during the setup and you will never hear about it again. If you installed the sponsor by error, just launch the uninstallation program of Messenger Plus!, choose if you want to uninstall the sponsor only or Messenger Plus! and the sponsor, follow the instructions and reboot your computer.

Important: if you wish to get rid of the sponsor program, you must uninstall Messenger Plus! from the Add/Remove Programs window. If you start deleting files on your own you will prevent a full system restore as some of the files copied by the sponsor are backups of your original configuration files. Also, never attempt to use programs such as Microsoft Anti-Spyware to remove the sponsor. Doing so would permanently damage the sponsor's restore data and would make the uninstallation much harder than it should be. You don't use third party programs to remove your other programs, the sponsor is no different.

I have had no problems whatsoever with Plus - it is great. I chose not to install the sponsor program.
    To infinity and beyond!
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    'I chose not to install the sponsor program.'
    Ah, me too. Wondered why mine was fine!

More help here: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/lop.htm
  • shrek101
    Options
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/june-2003/3.php

I didnt install it msyelf the damn kids did I am going to reformat the two pcs and romove teh whole rubbish I am so angry with this awful company and I hope that they rot in hell.

• shrek101
    Options
    Theres lodas od infor like I said I spent teh alst few hours trying to rid the computers of this but it keeps coming back and apparenrently it behaves dffferently on each pc so it can reside in different registry enties.

Thsi has nothing to do with MSN the program delibraetly install spyware

http://www.techmonkeys.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=706

• shrek101
    Options
    Well if its been me I wouldnt have opted in for it, but kids being kids they just instled it. They never have the option to install it again thats for sure. When it does install its almost impossibel to rid itself. I am not a nobb on pc, I am very careful what I install and how I use it, but unfortunately I cant always monitor what my kids do.

• danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This sounds similar to a Yahoo add on that infested my pc with spyware - took ages to get off system! Something to do with SmileyCentral or a similar thing? Bribe the unsuspecting with wonderful free smileys icons etc and then load tons of adware/spyware in the small print..I'm surprised MSN allowed this association.
  • shrek101
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    'I chose not to install the sponsor program.'
    Ah, me too. Wondered why mine was fine!

More help here: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/lop.htm

Thats one of the toolbars that installs but it wont go, even on two pcs, one I didnt use any spyware on, only unistall in add/remove on one fo them and another add/remove and various spyware programs.

Oh and ths unsstall program Lop supply is riddled with a virus according to AVG.

The loop unstall on lop.com web site according to AVG has swizzor.4.c trojan

• Howells
    Howells Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    According to the Change Log:
    Thanks to my new subscription to the Windows Error Reporting system, I've been able to locate and fix a couple of bugs affecting a percentage of my user base. Too bad the guys from the MS Anti-Spyware team are not as cooperative as the guys from the MS Winqual one as everybody would benefit from the results (because yes, MS Anti-Spyware still cripples the uninstallation program of the sponsor, preventing users from removing it from their system).
    I think this might fix your problem before you do a format!!

Basically disable Microsoft Anti-Spyware, then do an uninstall, then enable Anti-Spyware again.

Also in there formums on the website, there is a sticky on how to remove it correctly (including if you have tried to remove it yourself).
  • calibrax
    calibrax Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    shrek101 wrote:
    I didnt install it msyelf the damn kids did I am going to reformat the two pcs and romove teh whole rubbish I am so angry with this awful company and I hope that they rot in hell.
    Why be angry with the company? It's not their fault. It's quite clear when installing that you don't have to accept the sponsor program. The company makes a useful product, and it's only free because they have a sponsor. Your kids are the ones you should be angry with!
    shrek101 wrote:
    I am very careful what I install and how I use it, but unfortunately I cant always monitor what my kids do.
    In XP you can set up your kids on an account with no administrator rights. This would prevent them from installing stuff. Of course, if you are using something like Windows 98, that's not much use to you... ;)

My personal opinion is that if you can't monitor what your kids are doing, then they shouldn't be on the 'net... let's face it, they could be doing much worse than installing the odd bit of spyware...

Steve :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport