Plant sale

My local council are having a plant sale tomorrow, has anyone been to one of these?

I'm guessing they'll be selling off all of the old plants they've dug up from islands and embankments???? I'm hoping to pick up a few bargins, even to stock up my garden for pennies :D

It got me thinking that other councils must do this sort of thing around this time of year with the spring flowers and again in autumn with the summer flowers?? So check and see if your council are doing something similar, you might pick up a bargin :D

I found out from a big sign on a roundabout right next to the big local park (where the sale is being held) the sign only went up Weds or Thurs so they are giving short notice, might be worth phoning your local council and asking.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)

Comments

• mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Our council used to give them away free (we got loads of tulip bulbs one year) but they now sell them off. Generally they are plants like tulips and daffs, or primroses, but obviously some slightly more exotic on occasions! I've not been to buy any so don't know how much they are, but judging by the queues when these plant sales are on - they must be very cheap! :D
    Mink
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bought most of the shrubs in my garden from the council nursery. They are mostly leftovers from council planting. The ones they dig up are given away as they dig them up.
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    How i would laugh if you turned up tomorrow and they were having a different sort of plant sale...

That second hand roadsweeper will look great in you front garden next to that rusty JCB...
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Not heard of this before, sounds like a good idea though - you'd better take a wheelie shopper for all those bargains :D
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    iainkirk wrote:
    How i would laugh if you turned up tomorrow and they were having a different sort of plant sale...

That second hand roadsweeper will look great in you front garden next to that rusty JCB...

:eek: never thought of that, I'd never fit one of those on the back of my bike :eek: :rotfl:

Thanks for all the tips, I'm going to take a huge bag (or borrow a shopper from somewhere) and I'm going to get there really early to beat the crowds (or to run off quietly where no-one can see me incase they are selling JCB's)
    Chris25 wrote:
    Not heard of this before, sounds like a good idea though - you'd better take a wheelie shopper for all those bargains :D

As it's only round the corner, I might take my wheelie BIN, I'd get loads more in that :rotfl:
  • I went to one of these when I lived in Humberside. They were selling masses of plants, mostly ones that had been raised from seed and they hadn't needed all of them to do the embankments etc. The were also a fair few bigger plants that had either come out of the town hall or had been grown for a job they were no longer required for. In fact I remember filling my double buggy with plants for about £5, including a massive cheese plant. I had been eyeing up an identical one at the local garden centre the week before but it was over £30 for that size :)
  • ritaing
    ritaing Posts: 89 Forumite
    I live in Bradford and Peel Park are having a sale of surplus stock bedding plants shrubs conifers & heathers at growers prices.

Sat 18th June 10.00 - 4.00
    Sun 19th June 11.00 - 2.00
    Mon 20th June - Fri 24th June 10.00 - 4.00.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Well, I went to the sale on Saturday and it was fantastic, I bought too much to carry back to the car in one trip and it was only parked about 2 mins walk away :eek: the council were running little golf buggies to the car park for FREE for everyone who couldn't carry what they had bought :T

I bought some really exotic looking plants (don't know the name of some of them but they looked nice :D and were cheap. Just off to search the internet for some pictures to identify them) I spent all day yesterday planting them. Only one I know was a canna lilly, I bought 2 for £4.50 (total price for 2), they are £7.99 EACH in my local garden centre :beer:

In total I bought 7 really big mature plants and spent the grand total of £12.

They had bedding plants and stuff too which were going for about 50p but I've got lots of these I've grown from seed.

So, if you want some plants for your garden, ring your local borough council and as them if they are having a sale, you might pick up some brilliant bargins. icon14.gif

My only tip is be there early and be prepared to queue. I got there 5 minutes after it opened and it still took me an hour to get to the tills. I should have been there 15 mins BEFORE.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    My local council have a nursery at the back of us. In fact just 20 feet from me is a plastic greenhouse that they sell plants all year around to the public. There isn't that much choice, these are mainly plants which are are surplus to requirements. They also do hanging baskets to order but they tend to only do then late in the season once there baskets/tubs are done for the holiday resort.

They use to just sell plants couple of times a year in plant sales but now they don't do this, as I said they sell them in greenhouse to members of the public all year around.

They also sell compost and ground down tree bark last time I looked it was £1 a bag which they shred on site.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,553
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Slightly off at a tangent, may I pass on the excellent Seed Swap idea which Newmarket Library operates? It's such a good idea - no idea if other places do it, but this Library, in a dated unsympathetic re-build site, is enlightened and encouraging of all sorts of community initiatives. People leave surplus seeds(if they have them) in a box at the counter and are positively encouraged to take what they want in exchange.
    Worth suggesting in your local Branch?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure