MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Robbie kick up a fuss?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Robbie kick up a fuss?

After the New Year celebrations, five lads are struggling to find a cab with enough space to take them all home. After a bit of patience, Gary hails two cabs and decides Mark & Robbie should get in one and everyone else in the other. As each cab's charging £60, Robbie, holding back the tears, thinks it's not on that he'd be paying £30 to get home, compared to Gary's £20, and declares he'll never forget if the total bill for both journeys isn't split equally.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Liam roll with it?
Is Del a plonker for flogging Wiis on eBay?

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    four of them should play £30 at the time of the cab journey, then say Gary hasn't contrubuted yet so he should pay each of the four £6 so it all end's up that each has paid £24 towards their ride home - nice and simple.

But isn't it the case that the one who sits in the front always pay :beer:
  • Not very MSE - surely the five of them could get into one cab???:grouphug:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • If they live together, they should each shell out £24. If they don't, they should still club together.
  • No he shouldnt kick up a fuss!!! IT'S ONLY A TENNER!!!
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    tallgirld wrote: »
    No he shouldnt kick up a fuss!!! IT'S ONLY A TENNER!!!

Its 50% more than the others would be paying !! They should all chip in before the journey and pay the same
    :hello:
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    If he's old enough to go out drinking he's old enough to make sure he can afford the expense of going out (which includes getting home). These things had a habit of evening out anyway-and the next time he may very well be one of the three rather than one of the two. If it was going to be split evenly it should have been discussed earlier in the evening not later when everyone has had a few drinks and just want to get home not stand at the roadside debating it.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • tallgirld wrote: »
    No he shouldnt kick up a fuss!!! IT'S ONLY A TENNER!!!

NOT even a TENNER - The difference between sharing and not sharing, is only SIX POUNDS!!! :confused:
  • Soft $#!£ - If it bothers him that much, the other four should pay £30 each!
    PS. You would get me a) going into town (ridiculus prices & BOOM BOOM BOOM) b) never heard of a bus?
    Advice is cheap! Hence their is a lot of it about!
    Try not to be a victim!
  • bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    He's saving £30 on the price of a cab home by himself, and the other four could fit in a cab by themselves . . .
    It's only £6 over the cost of splitting equally and £10 over the cost of the others.

They're his friends, it should go without saying that the £10 extra he paid is remembered by his friends, and repaid the next time by the others buying the first round or giving a bit more to a different taxi, not by handing him £6.

Trusting your friends to engage in a bit of give and take is a large part of friendship. Going on about them doing you out of £10/£6 will only annoy people and end up costing you more in the long run.
  • Den
    Den Posts: 432
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bandraoi wrote: »
    They're his friends, it should go without saying that the £10 extra he paid is remembered by his friends, and repaid the next time by the others buying the first round or giving a bit more to a different taxi, not by handing him £6.

Trusting your friends to engage in a bit of give and take is a large part of friendship. Going on about them doing you out of £10/£6 will only annoy people and end up costing you more in the long run.

I like the way you put it. :beer:
    Have you got something to share - Do it.
    When you don't know - Ask.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport