Travel Insurance for 79 year old Dad???

Options
Help needed please?

I am taking my parents to Rome and although Mum has no problem getting Travel Insurance, Dad is 79 and therefore many companies will not insure him. Can anyone recommend any companies to try?

Thanks in advance,
Bee

Comments

• newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    When are you going? My Nan is 81 and has had trouble getting travel insurance, but she managed in the end, and is now on holiday in Spain.....unfortunately I dont know which company she used!!
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • beebutterfield
    Options
    We are going for 3 days next week. I managed to get him insured with SAGA, cost £46 for both him and mum, so they are both sorted!
    I would recommend them, they insured him even though he has been ill recently, very helpful and resonably priced in my opinion.

Bee x
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Help needed please?

I am taking my parents to Rome and although Mum has no problem getting Travel Insurance, Dad is 79 and therefore many companies will not insure him. Can anyone recommend any companies to try?

Thanks in advance,
    Bee

Try THIS PAGE from this site, Martin also mentioned it on todays Jeremy Vine show on Radio2
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    My nan uses egg for her travel insurance - she's 82
  • Pinseyt_2
    Options
    I found a few companies insured the over 65s and 70s but many did not insure pre-existing medical conditions. My dad is 74 and had a heart attack 5 years ago - the best quote I received was from Marks and Spencer travel insurance which covered him for a fortnight trip to Hong Kong for £130 (£70 was for the medical condition). The staff at the call centre were really helpful and on the ball too (for a change!) I found Saga and Age Concern to be prohibitively expensive (>£500)! Hope this helps - good luck with your hunt!
  • Clare11
    Clare11 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    May I suggest https://www.direct-travel.co.uk
    They do not "penalise" anyone with a pre existing medical condition. My husband had a heart attack and his travel insurance was the exact same as mine! They are certainly worth the try!

They can be contacted on 01903 812345 to discuss the pre existing medical condition as questions have to be answered.

And their policy sending is fantastic. I had our policies in just a few days!
    Every penny is a prisoner.......
  • winder_2
    winder_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    My parents in their 70s were told to try Help the Aged for travel insurance. The person who owns the travel agent they use gets his insurance through them and they gave mum & dad a competitive quote.
  • jaffa
    jaffa Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Try Age Concern.
    My Mum and Dad both in their late 70's and both with pre-existing medical conditions found they were the only place they could get an annual policy to include the USA.

Pinseyt - M&S who we've used in the past wouldn't cover for the medical conditions - but I suspected that this was because they needed cover for USA but if your parents were covered for Hong Kong this probably wasn't the case....
    Obviously varies from case to case :confused:
  • Jeff121
    Jeff121 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try CIS (co-op), my parents both have medical conditions, one parent over 80 the other 77. So long as they have not been told not to travel CIS are OK with medical conditions. Annual European joint cover cost my parents £120. The phone number for CIS Insurance is 08457 46 46 46
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jeff121 wrote:
    Try CIS (co-op), The phone number for CIS Insurance is 08457 46 46 46

The geographical number is 0161 8328686
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories