Orange charges to pay your monthly bill

Options
Hi folks,

Just got my latest Orange bill through (monthly contract) and found a note stating that as from next month they will be charging an administration charge of £3 per phone per month if I don't switch to direct debits. Terms and conditions state that I am responsible for extraordinary costs incurred in administering my Account, but I don't see how this can be classed in this category.

Having been stung several times by direct debits going wrong, I am loathed to set another one up.

Can they do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• lofty_2
    lofty_2 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    As far as i know every phone operator does this, Its because credit/debit cards have processing fee's where as dd doesnt afaik, Correct me if im wrong.

Hope This Helps
    Nice to Save. To save it's ____
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think, but don't quote me on this, you can go into an Orange shop and pay your monthly bill by other means and they will refund you the £3 admin fee. However you should double check that with an Orange shop.

BTW many places now do this (i.e. charge if you don't pay by DD). Also if you do pay by DD you are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee, which you are not if you pay be debit card, cash, cheque, bank transfer, etc.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • narol
    narol Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    pay my vodafone by cheque
  • steveh2001
    steveh2001 Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dwsurrey wrote:
    Hi folks,

Just got my latest Orange bill through (monthly contract) and found a note stating that as from next month they will be charging an administration charge of £3 per phone per month if I don't switch to direct debits. Terms and conditions state that I am responsible for extraordinary costs incurred in administering my Account, but I don't see how this can be classed in this category.

Having been stung several times by direct debits going wrong, I am loathed to set another one up.

Can they do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

I got my bill in a few days ago and didnt get this :S That is bad news to be honest as i liked reviewing my bill and paying via credit card over their website!

They better not charge me for next month!
  • amancalledchip
    Options
    cant see what the problem is

I pay by DD.
    They send me a bill, then about 2 weeks later take the money out.
    I get plenty of time to review it first
  • matrix999
    matrix999 Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got my bill for today and no mention of this charge???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure