GNER train journeys for a fiver. Fare enough!

Options
30 October 2007
What's the deal?

Eastern UK train operater GNER is selling off-peak travel tickets for just £5 each way across its entire network, which includes stations between London in the South and Inverness in the North.

Journeys must be booked before Sunday 4 Nov for travel between now and Sunday 27 Jan '08 (although tickets between 19 & 27 Jan aren't on sale until 1 Nov). Take a look at GNER's network map for information of all the stations it serves.

Nab tickets for a fiver each

Using GNER's ticket booking website, enter which of its stations you want to travel to and from plus desirable dates and times; a list of available tickets and their prices will then appear.

Friday and Sunday travel is limited (and some weekend journeys will experience engineering work delays) and as the offer's only available on a selected amount of seats per train, the more flexible you are with dates and times, the more likely you'll be able to secure a cheap ticket (also avoid selecting open returns)

The promotion excludes travel on 17-22, 27-28 & 31 Dec, plus 1-5 Jan, and once tickets are purchased, refunds or amendments can't be made. Also, children under five can travel for free if they don't need a seat.

Additional Ts & Cs of the promotion are available on GNER's site.

Doesn't include the departing/destination station you want?

Have a read of the Cheap Train Tickets article, which is overflowing with tips and sneaky tricks that'll slash the cost of train journeys throughout the UK.

Martin

PLEASE REPORT WHAT £5 JOURNEYS YOU FIND IN THE THREAD BELOW

PS. This deal was originally spotted by MoneySaver CleoTheCat below. Thanks for the top spot! This post has been inserted to provide a researched and more detailed explanation for MoneySavers coming from the weekly e-mail.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• CleoTheCat_2
    Options
    GNEr are selling off tickets for £5 one way for journeys between 30 October 2007 to 27 January 2008 on their East coast routes. Obviously there are terms and conditions and they are only available on certain trains but worth a try if you are planning a train journey during that period.

try:- http://www.gner.co.uk/gner/seatsale/SeatSaleOct07.htm
    Hope this helps someone!
    CtC :D
  • STAR_BUCK
    Options
    Yeah I got 2 return tickets for london to york for a grand total of.... £20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoo hoo!
  • BigDaddyBlue
    Options
    Brilliant.

THANKS!!!
    And remember folks... A cubicle is just a padded cell without the padding!
  • AlanUdale
    Options
    VIRGIN have been selling cheap seats for some time the only problem is trying to reserve a seat they seem to over sell the availability.

It's better to pay a little more and know you have a seat.
  • carole.uk
    carole.uk Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Options
    as anyone seen £5.00 tickets from leeds to london or leeds to bristol, for around the new year, on the GNER site i can't seem to find any £5.00 tickets
    IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!!:j:money:
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like they are about £10 Leeds - London and then £17ish to get back on a weekend in Jan.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • MUNCHKIN89
    Options
    GNER are trialling a branbd new website accessed on the link below. It's much easier to find the £5 fares. Once you've entered you're journey details, click on teh box that says £5 singles adn you can see whaich trains are avaialbel for the whole day. Also they haev a new 'find the lowest fare' button that shows the cheapest outward and retuen fare combination, either two singles or a return

http://tickets.gner.co.uk/gner/en/JourneyPlanning/GnerWebTISHomePage
  • Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    carole.uk wrote: »
    as anyone seen £5.00 tickets from leeds to london or leeds to bristol, for around the new year, on the GNER site i can't seem to find any £5.00 tickets

I can only find tickets for £20 :(
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
  • carole.uk
    carole.uk Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Options
    thanks have tried but still no luck thanks again
    IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!!:j:money:
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    YAY! SUCCESS!!! Thanks!

Doncaster to London 4th Dec for a fiver each, plus same return + £20 for 2 adults plus 1 free child - bargain! Seemed to be quite a lot of availability as well, with quite a few dates and times.

BUT I couldn't find it at first using the link on Martin's post above - instead go to:

www.gner.co.uk/five

and half way down the page there's a link that says you can only book it through that. Worked for me!

Also managed to book the Harrods Santa's Grotto for the same day, so seems there's availability for that too. A real bargain day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure