Schoolhol`s not yet started, feel stressed

Options
Am I the only one who dreds the school hol`s?

Just about manage to cope the rest of the time, but the thought of the hol`s fills me with dread.

I am a sahm, and still, find it hard to do everything, in the hol`s it`s a nightmare, I`m not house proud at all, but all the mess does get to me sometimes. OH is not bothered about having his tea ready or house being tidy.

Any tips to help me survie?
JAN Grocery Challange £200
Spent £154.88

FEB Grocery Challange £175 21-1 to 20-2
Spent to date £49.13

Comments

• Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Think of us teachers, we have around 30 children every day to organise into tidying up!
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Prudent wrote:
    Think of us teachers, we have around 30 children every day to organise into tidying up!

But to be fair...they seem to listen to us teachers in a way they don't at home!

The amount of parents I've had ask me if I'm speaking to them about their child is a picture.

OP-have you got a list of things to do which are free, but get the sprogs out of the house, therefore no tidying? Kite flying, picnics, sending them round to visit a friend...are just a few off the top of my head?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spend as much of the day outdoors then the house doesnt get messy
    get signed up for playschemes now because they fill up fast
    check your local museums and galleries which may have workshops
    get together with other stressed mums for a picnic - it is cheap and the more kids there are the easier it gets
    I did a timetable last year for the hols and the kids chose one 'special' thing each week, it may have been a trip to the museum (free) or a bike ride (also free) you can of course engineer this so the choices are things you want them to choose! ;)
    They went to a local playscheme in the mornings quite a few times, as it was subsidised it was cheap. Are you in a sure start area? They have lots of activities you could go to if you have younger kids.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    On the days I don't work, I take it in turns with other mums to have their kids for the day. When they've got friends over, they pretty much entertain themselves, or we go over to the woods and build camps etc. The more they have over, the better it seems to be. We also have an arrangement, whereby they bring their own packed lunch with them - less hassle for the mum who's doing the looking after, and the kids all think its great to have a picnic at someone elses house/woods wherever!

Then, the best bit, you then have the favour returned, and so get a day off - or in my case, I go to work!!! But at least I haven't forked out for a playscheme.

Good luck swizzlebabe, and lets hope this is the start of the promised heatwave, and loads of days outside!!!
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sons school shuts lunchtime tomorrow as they have half day holiday. In the afternoon I am taking them swimming at the big fun pool as it operates a 2 tier pricing structure (cheap) term-time and (expensive) school hols time.

As not all school in borough will be shut it'll be the cheaper price. Next week I'll use the free swimming vouchers I've got (from sons swimming lessons) to go to the local pool. We'll all get in free as I don't pay for daughter as she's under 5.

I've found out that next terms topic at school is transport,so that gives me some ideas. Walk along the canal to see some narrowboats and a trip to the museum.

Daughter goes to private nursery half day a week so will put son in a holiday playscheme at same time she's there and use this as my tidy up time.

I like sarahsavers idea of a timetable and will do it for the 6 week hols.

How old are your children swizzlebabe? As we might be able to give you more ideas.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If its any consolation i think we're all in the same boat. What makes it worse for me is that ive got MrJudi off work too.

All i will hear next week will be MrJudi wittering in one ear, Cartoon Network in the other, Drum and Bass from the bedroom upstairs and my 19 year old drama queen daughter who works part time screeching at the top of her voice to make her voice heard.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Judi wrote:
    If its any consolation i think we're all in the same boat. What makes it worse for me is that ive got MrJudi off work too.

All i will hear next week will be MrJudi wittering in one ear, Cartoon Network in the other, Drum and Bass from the bedroom upstairs and my 19 year old drama queen daughter who works part time screeching at the top of her voice to make her voice heard.
    Snap :eek: cept my drama queen is 13 :D
    Bulletproof
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Us teachers and teaching assitants are glad of the break! I'm getting away with OH to a five star hotel (he's paying, he earns far more!!) and leaving my two kids behind with their grandparents, (well one's 18 the others 14 so more young adults).
    My mum reckons I need a break from kids, so parents, ou have em this week, we have em for 46 weeks a year!
    LOL!!!!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Whatever county you live in, that county will have a Wildlife Trust. And they have days for kids - they even do birthday parties where the kids don't need a party dress! Pond-dipping, mini-beasts, all the things that kids like because it involves getting muddy and dirty! And using up energy, doing things in the fresh air, coming home tired, and sleeping well.

Have a look at this: http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index.php?section=watch

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    troo wrote:
    Snap :eek: cept my drama queen is 13 :D
    mine's only 7
    she painted modelling paints and nail polish on her carpet today
    i am NOT happy
    Luckily next week dd is on holiday with her dad (he's not the dad of the boys btw b4 anyone asks why hes not taking them all) , youngest ds is in school (prep school - no holidays!) and older ds is in a playscheme, though I am taking a day out of work to take him somewhere on a train, seeing as he misses out most on mummy time, bit of a 'malcom in the middle' poor kid;)
    the playscheme is at the kids' school, from 8.30 til 5.30, and only costs £4.50 a day, tax credits pay for 70% of the cost:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts