PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Korma Curry Recipe anyone?

Options
I got a large pack of reduced mushrooms this morning because dd loves them. DD has a cold and I have read the spices in a curry are good for a cold. She likes only likes korma. Does mushroom korma taste ok? Any tips?
Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=456767&postcount=38
    This is curry queens curry sauce, and it is wonderfull!!! Well worth trying.
  • Judi101
    Judi101 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

does anyone have a chicken korma recipe please? My DH wants me to make him curry and I thought at the same time I would try it on my DD who is 11 months so its got to be fairly mild. DH reliably informs me that Korma is (I dont like curry) but cant tell me what else goes into it other than chicken and a korma sauce prebought!

I've had a look at the recipe's on here but cant find what I am looking for. If possible I'd like to get one I can make in the slow cooker that has nutrition values so I can check the salt content etc for the little one.

Can anyone help?
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    There are some on this website

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/quickchickenkorma

Hope this helps. Korma is a really mild creamy curry, lovely, but full of calories !
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    not as authenthic, I do a v mild and easy peasy korma for the kids with either left over roast chicken, or raw pieces. easy to cook in a frying pan or SC.

just use Patak's korma paste :) it's on special offer at tesco ATM 99p a jar, paste is miles better than sauce, really dense,goes a long way,so it's cheap as well as easy.

just add a couple of tablespoons to the pan.
    then a little water, cook,
    then add ground almonds ( or desicated coconut if preferrred) to thicken and plain yog, heat through.
    [SIZE=-1]www.pataks.co.uk/

nutritonal info
    bear in mind you only use a bit (50g?) for whole dish.

hth
    [/SIZE]
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    Curry Queens recipes are great. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=100759&highlight=curry+night
    Making the base is a bit time consuming, but well worth it. My kids found the korma a bit sweet but loved the second recipe.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    might sound silly but is there a 'cheats' way of making chicken korma ( apart from a tin)

what mean is there a short cut with the ingredients and spices etc.... but still get the same result....

an example is like the thousand island dressing instead of making it from scratch......you just mix tomato sauce..... mayo .....and a bit of salad cream.... and hay presto..... thousand island sauce/cocktail sauce done.....

also if you know of any other cheat recipes for things like...sweet and sour etc.....

thanks......
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :confused: Only way to cheat is a jar but they are icky anyway, yak, I love a Korma but tried every type of jar and none were nice at all, now I make them myself, they are lovely if I do say so myself.

I use the curry secret for recipes, but ones on this site are about the same
    http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/rsc/maindish.htm if you make a big batch of the curry sauce base and freeze it, it makes the next few curries much easier, plus the base stuff I find is a bit smelly when cooking the onions, ginger etc :rolleyes:

Sweet and sour there is so many varieties, http://www.letscook.co.uk/sweetsour.html fairly straight forward, http://www.everydaycook.com/recipebox/dips/sweetsoursauce.htm few more ingredients but looks like it will be nicer
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »
    I use the curry secret for recipes, but ones on this site are about the same http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/rsc/maindish.htm if you make a big batch of the curry sauce base and freeze it, it makes the next few curries much easier, plus the base stuff I find is a bit smelly when cooking the onions, ginger etc

Can't find a proper recipe on this link, if you have time, could you PM the basic recipe to me, thanx
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Asda in the North West have started selling a curry sauce brand called Pasco. It's under their local produce section, I think it's made somewhere near Crewe.

It's fantastic - the ingredients read like a recipe book, not some laboratory concoction. And it tastes like proper Indian restaurant curry.

It's only £1 a jar - much cheaper than a takeaway.

EDIT: It's actually made in Wigan and it won a prize in the North West Fine Food Awards.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »
    Asda in the North West have started selling a curry sauce brand called Pasco. It's under their local produce section, I think it's made somewhere near Crewe.

It's fantastic - the ingredients read like a recipe book, not some laboratory concoction. And it tastes like proper Indian restaurant curry.

It's only £1 a jar - much cheaper than a takeaway.

EDIT: It's actually made in Wigan and it won a prize in the North West Fine Food Awards.

what my dilema is..... that i try not to shop in supermarkets.. i try and buy things in local shops etc.... i did slip a few months ago... and found myself starting to frequent supermarkets more....so dont really want to go into asda.. otherwise i will spend loads and keep on going back ...lol......but it sounds nice ...
    Work to live= not live to work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport