A Different Browser

Options
Rex_Mundi
Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I've not long ago come accross the Avant Browser. I've downloaded it and had a play. I've got to say I'm impressed. There are some very nice features with this browser, and it seems very fast. The flash animation filter may be very useful for those of you on dial up. You can block these and save downloading the ads with the rest of your web page.

The browser is completely free and has no spyware/adware attached. Even better it's only a 1.33MB download, so even if you have dial up access it shouldn't take too long.

For anyone worried about spoiling Internet Explorer. You can use this as well as IE with no problems. I use Firefox, Netscape, Opera, IE and now Avant with no problems. Download it for free HERE

These are some of the features.

Flash Animation Filter: More than 85% of all flash animation on web pages is advertising. These flash files are pretty large, and normally take up to 90% of the size of the page you're visiting. With Avant Browser you can save this bandwidth by blocking the download of these flash files with just one easy click. Avant Browser also provides options to block downloads of pictures, videos, sounds and ActiveX components. With these options users can control their bandwidth and speed up page loading.

Built-in Pop-up Blocker: Easily eliminate unwanted pop-up pages automatically with just one click.

Additional Mouse Functions: If you click a link in the web page with the middle mouse button, the link will be opened in a new window in the background. And there are two handy mouse gestures in Avant Browser. The first allows you to navigate backward one step by holding the right button down and then clicking on the left button simultaneously. The second allows you to navigate forward one step by reversing the buttons used: hold left, and click right.

Multi-Window Browsing: Browse multiple web pages simultaneously. All opened pages can be easily stopped, refreshed, closed or arranged with one click.

Real Full Screen Mode and Alternative Full Desktop mode: When you enable Full Screen Mode, all you see is the webspace, with no toolbars or other clutter. They are simply autohidden! Move your mouse over the top or bottom and find the toolbar and tab bar respectively. Avant Browser also provides Full Desktop Mode, which is the same as Full screen mode, but differs in that your windows task bar stays visible.

Built-in Yahoo/Google Search Engine: Avant Browser provides a built-in search engines, Yahoo and Google. Built-in search engines enable user to search for web pages, images, groups, directories, news, lyrics and software in Internet. International users will be glad to know that you can set avant to utilize any of up to 64 google mirrors by default!

Full IE Compatibility: Avant Browser comes with all Internet Explorer functions, including Cookies, ActiveX Controls, Java Script, Real player and Macromedia Flash. IE bookmarks are automatically imported into Avant Browser.

Records Cleaner: With Avant Browser, you can easily keep your privacy by deleting Typed Addresses, Auto-Complete Passwords, Cookies, History of Visited Web Sites, Temporary Internet Files and Search Keywords.

Safe Recovery: If Avant Browser is closed improperly, all open web pages are saved and will be automatically reopened at next startup.

Skins: Express your creativity by making a skin for Avant using a custom, easy to use program called Avant Browser Skin Factory, or use any of the many and varied skins made by other users.
How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Fish

Comments

• avi_3
    avi_3 Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I agree. It is an excellent browser. Have been using it since month.
  • T4i
    T4i Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm trying now..... :T
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So am I and I am most impressed.

John
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I heard that it is I.E with a different front end, if this is so won't it have the same vulnarabilities as I.E? I'm trying to find out before I try.
    Peter
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • spook
    spook Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    From the FAQ...
    How does Avant Browser work?

Based on services provided by Microsoft Internet Explorer, Avant Browser renders and navigates HTML.
    and also...
    Is Avant Browser a secure browser?

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer. Avant Browser supports all SSL secured websites. Avant Browser's encryption length is the same as Internet Explorer's.

Not sure I want to install something that's 'as secure as Internet Explorer' :eek:
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For anyone that's worried about the security while using this browser. The easiest thing to do is turn off the activex and java permissions. Just click tools and disable them. It wont make much difference (if at all) to most web pages. If you need to turn them on and trust the site you are viewing. It is easy to reverse the changes you've made. Switching off these features should keep you fairly safe. It seems that most of the nasties out there use activex exploits to install themselves on your computer. This is the reason that IE lets so much bad stuff install in the background because they are switched on by default.

I'm still very impressed with this browser. It wont take over my default browser (Firefox), but this will do as a very good alternative to using IE for the sites that need it. For such a small download this browser is very feature rich. I really like the extra mouse features and also the fact that you can configure it so easily. Settings like the activex and java are easily changed, unlike IE where they are hidden in advanced options.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will try that sometime... only just got Opera though so still getting used to it.

When using Opera each page loads bit by bit - is that the browser, my settings or site or what?

Also I can't work out how to import Mozilla address book or contacts to Opera - how can I do it?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • bert
    bert Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Mozilla Firefox is defenitely the best web browser at the moment.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, have to disagree with that!

I decided to have a look at the Avant and it is MUCH easier to get going on than Firefox or Opera. I'm very impressed so far. I like the look of all the extra features on it too. Also it's confirmed that I've got about:blank - I noticed it yesterday and looked up info but gave up after reading forums of how hard it is to get rid of. This browser makes it clear that it's there.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Well I switched from Avant to Firefox. And I havent gone back.

Avant is a nice extension to IE. Firefox is a brilliant customisable and SECURE alternative to IE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure