What happened in 1977? - Making up a hamper

Its my DH birthday later this month when he will be 30. I have bought the majority of his presents, but want to do him a 1977 hamper, but one that doesn't cost too much.

I've been through Wikipedia for that year and got lots of ideas of what happened in the news and so far have bought:

Star Wars DVD
The Clash Album
INXS Album
Sex Pistols Album
Minature Concorde (first London-New York concorde flights launched)
Minature Porsche 928 (launched)

I know it was the Queens Silver Jubliee, but not sure how to mark this and Elvis died, so not sure how to mark this either as don't want to buy another CD really, so ideas please? :confused:

Can anyone else think of things that happened in 1977? I have no idea as my parents hadn't even met then, never mind me being alive. :rotfl:

I would also like to wrap all this up in appropriate paper for the era, but not sure what was popular back then eg on TV, etc.

Thanks muchly for any help.

Comments

• LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    How about an (imitation) silver tiara for the Jubilee, and an Elvis burger/sandwich? If you Google it, you should find the ingredients of Elvis's favourite snack.

Your DH is the same vintage as mine, by the way!
  • djtonyb
    djtonyb Posts: 629
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977

gives a breakdown of all the year's events
    Fat and proud lol
  • aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    didn't marc bolan die that year as well, bit morbid i know, sorry!!
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731
    Forumite
    djtonyb wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977

gives a breakdown of all the year's events

As I stated I've already been and looked, but it appeared to be a bit more American orientated that UK.

Thanks for the other ideas so far, keep them coming.
  • ferrarigirlie
    ferrarigirlie Posts: 4,691 Forumite
    what about the song that was number 1 when he was born, make a newspaper with cuttings that were in the news that day :)
    £2008 for 2008 member No.414
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051
    Forumite
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1977/gallery/index.shtml

This is an interesting site. Click down the orange bar at the side for some answers to your questions.
    I remember 1977 as i was 9. Also remember our teacher who was a numbers freak getting all excited of the 7th july because it was 7/7/77.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    I was born on February 24th but I'm not sure how you'd show that? ;) :rotfl:

C xx
  • linzibean
    linzibean Posts: 437 Forumite
    It was the Jubilee year, but also the year of God Save the Queen. Is he a punk fan lol??
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    I was born on February 24th but I'm not sure how you'd show that? ;) :rotfl:

C xx

That makes you exactly one day younger than my daughter!
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    For what happened - I think you have a fair bit covered, as to what to get - I just put 1977 into the eBay search, and got over 5800 items - a lot will be things like first day covers, coins etc, but you might find some interesting bits - maybe his team won something big that year, or there'll be a vintage toy he'll remember.

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure