Ends 10.6.07 Google Checkout £10 off £30 spend- act now!

Options
What's the deal?

To promote its new payment service, Google's offering £10 off any order of £30 or more from selected web retailers, when you pay via 'Google Checkout'. This can be used every time you spend on it, not just as a one off; even if you're buying again from the same retailer (though a fair usage policy applies so you don't go overboard). It ends Midnight Sunday 10 June 2007.

What's it good for?

The £10 discount is available at a whole range of web stores (see Google's selected list), but the really competitive ones all tend to be in the electronics and gadget fields - such as the already-rather-cheap tech retailers ebuyer, Aria and SVP.

I've picked a few products from these sites which seem to represent excellent value when bought through checkout. Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg; if you've spotted something (in stock) which should be in here then please click reply to post it below.

Top Picks (the price listed includes the Google discount):
  • 4GB iPod Nano under £100 delivered at ebuyer. Checkout brings the cost down to £97 inc. free delivery in a range of colours are available. Also, the 8 GB version is available for £125, and the 1 GB iPod shuffle can be had for under £40.
  • Umax Divx DVD player with built-in Freeview tuner £42 delivered at SVP. Also featured in the weekly tip, this box allows you to watch free-to-air digital TV as well as regular DVDs, and DVDs with Divx computer video files on them. For more info click the link above.
Filler items

If you need to make up a few quid to push you over the £30 mark so you qualify for the discount, consider these:
  • AA/AAA Batteries 12 for 94/97p at ebuyer. Batteries always come in handy, so if you don't need anything else, and you're a couple of quid short of 30, they're a good bet.
How can I get the discount?

It's simple, if you already use any other Google services, you should be able to sign in to this one using the same login details, then you'll only need to add your card details. If not, you'll need to get a Google Checkout account. The £30 applies to the pre-postage price.

Ensure you've a sufficiently safe password when signing up for this service- after all, now Google will be storing your payment details, not just your junk email.

Other MoneySavers' recommended retailers offering this promotion (add your suggestions below):

Inkredible printer ink
The Menswear Site
The Ink Factory (also offers 17.5% Quidco cashback)
MemoryBits Memory Cards
If you've found any of the products above cheaper, or any better Google Checkout deals, please click reply and post them below.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am looking to buy a ipodnano through this google payment scheme. Does anyone know if any of the merchants are also available on the cashback sites such as quidco or pigsback?
  • snkz
    snkz Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    that is not a full list. "Below are some of the stores that accept Google Checkout".

Most of the gems are on sites not listed! e.g. jonmalco.co.uk for some wii games at great prices (site authenticity verified by me, my orders turned up yesterday.)
  • grhm
    grhm Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    But what about your credit card protection?

Google take "eMoney" from your card to pay for the items - if you don't receive the goods would you still be able to get your money back from your cc company or do you have to try and get it back of Google?
  • snkz
    Options
    credit card company afaik. But google checkout means you are insured anyway so debit cards are covered too.
  • rare_stuff
    rare_stuff Posts: 867 Forumite
    Options
    Another good retailer that has the £10 off orders over £30 is http://www.inkfactory.com/ So a good time to stock up on printer ink, etc.

I also believe most of these retailers have cashback arrangements with quidco, (though I have been wrong once or twice in the past ;) )
    Do You Twitter?
    Why not follow me and find out what I'm tweeting about!
  • Mister_E
    Mister_E Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Can you use this for multiple orders?
    Not on the same day but say a day apart?
  • batvink
    batvink Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Don't assume every retailer in the list has £10 cashback enabled. I have Google Checkout installed on my site, and it doesn't trigger the cashback. I asked Google, and they say it's up to their marketing team who gets it and who doesn't. The marketing team never responded.

Don't blame the retailers if it goes pear-shaped! If it's not applied before you pay, you won't get the cashback!
    Thanks in advance,

Steve V
  • k0sh
    k0sh Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good site for PS3 games with google checkout?

Thanks.
  • snkz
    Options
    Mister_E wrote: »
    Can you use this for multiple orders?
    Not on the same day but say a day apart?

I have used it with minutes in between, always works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure