AER vs. Gross?

Options
Hi,

Can anyone explain what exactly the difference is between AER and gross interest?

ING always advertises its AER rate (which is higher than its gross rate), whereas other banks may have a gross rate equal to the AER...

I'm thinking in particular of ING vs. Nationwide. The former pays interest monthly (AER 5%), whereas the latter pays it annually (Gross 5%). Which is actually better?

Cheers,
Rik

Comments

• ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Rik – Perhaps Martin Lewis can write an article answering this commonly asked question. Or maybe he can invite an article to be written by one of the bank or BS workers who contribute comments to this forum. It could be linked on the left, in the Banking + Savings & Investments sections.

By some interpretations it can seem misleading that some financial institutions boast an AER rate, fooling many potential customers into assuming "5% AER" offered, say, by ING Direct is equal to "5% gross" offered by Nationwide for their e-Savings a/c. In fact ING's true equivalent is 4.89% gross. (All banks & BSs quote this in a minor way in a/c info.) Personally, I always compare only gross rates.

5% AER on an a/c paying interest monthly (eg ING Direct), instead of the more usual annually, is actually more like 4.8% divided by 12, per month. It's made up to 5% by earning interest on the interest (known as 'compound interest') – ie if £1,000 is invested, after 1 month it's earned approx £4, so £1,004 is invested from that time until the next month is up (assuming no withdrawals).

5.40% gross is currently offered by Birmingham Midshires (a division of Halifax plc) for their Internet Easy Access Savings a/c. This includes a bonus for the first 12 months. (At or before the anniversary, customers may decide to move some or all their £'s elsewhere, when that bonus expires.) One linked external a/c is allowed, so the customer can easily make partial withdrawals. (My family is waiting to learn from this site's contributors how many days it takes, in their experience, to move £'s in this way – I loathe earning nil interest while £'s are in-transit!)

5.10% gross is offered (nil bonus tricks) by Norwich & Peterborough BS for their online savings a/c. Instant transfers from that can be done online to the Society's cheque a/c, and BACS transfers from there to any number of a/c's with other financial institutions.

I'm assuming you've already invested some of your money in a Mini Cash ISA (eg. up to £3,000 allowed in this tax year). Also, are you investing some of your money in regular, monthly savings a/c's, as advocated by Martin Lewis? Maybe you already know about Abbey's new Fixed Rate Monthly Saver (offering 6.50% gross), Halifax's Regular Saver (6% gross) and Derbyshire BS's Regular Savings a/c @ 5.85%. For instant access, up to £2,500 could earn 5.37% gross (advertised as 5.50% AER) via Alliance & Leicester's Premier Plus Current a/c, if you can move £1,000 in (& out, if you want!) each month.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Annual Equivalent Rate is defined here. (Thanks to MJSW)
    http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=135&a=1575
    THis should be clear enough for most people. However it is only an introduction to the subject.
    There is a bit more info here.
    http://www.bba.org.uk/content/1/c4/19/88/127255.pdf

J_B.
  • europa
    Options
    Thanks very much for your help guys!

I have actually just signed up for B&M's 5.4% a/c. Once it's up and running, I'll be happy to post the time it takes for a transfer to or from the a/c.

I haven't really thought about mthly saver a/cs (mainly because of the lack of instant access), but am now planning to look into it...

Cheers again!

:) Rik
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    THe AER takes account of "the time value of money"
    I might give some body £1 at the end of each month or £12 at the end of a year.
    In each case the gross amount received is £12. But the £ you get at the end of month one can itself earn interest in the remaining 11 months etc etc.
    In fact, making one or two reasonable assumptions:-

1% per month gives an Annual Equivalent Rate of 12.68%. The gross rate is 12%.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • thekc
    thekc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi all,

I don't get why AER and gross are different when the interest is payed annually,

http://www.kaupthingedge.co.uk/our-products/interest-rates.aspx

fixed term account, 36 months. The gross is 7.67% (w/o tax) and AER is 7.15%. Could someone give me an example to illistrate why they are different (my brain likes maths =])? As a student not working i don't pay tax.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They're different because the AER is the equivalent rate that you would get if the money was paid annually accounting for all compounding (or lack of in this case).
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    I thought AER = gross if interest is paid annually!?
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,800 Forumite
    Options
    With KE fixed term deals the interest is not paid anually it is paid into the acoount at the end of the deal.
    See http://www.kaupthingedge.co.uk/Includes/PDF/tandcs.pdf
    paragraph 22.1.1
    This means that for terms less than 1 year the AER is greater than the gross.
    For terms of 1year AER and gross are equal and for terms longer than 1 year the gross is greater than the AER.

Nigel
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    thekc wrote: »
    Could someone give me an example to illistrate why they are different
    AER illustrates what the interest rate would be if it was compounded once per year. Since there's no annual compounding with the 3 year term (interest is paid on maturity), interest is accrued daily at a higher rate. For example, assuming a £1,000 deposit...

£1,000 x 1.0715 x 1.0715 x 1.0715 = £1,230.20 (where 1.0715 is the AER multiplier)

£1,000 x 7.67% = 76.70 interest per year, and because there's no annual compounding, a 3 year term would therefore give 3 x £76.70 = £230.10 total interest.

Add this to your £1,000 deposit and you have £1,230.10
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Options
    superstar wrote: »
    I thought AER = gross if interest is paid annually!?
    Yes, but the term deposits with KE are paid at maturity, not annually. As such, it swings the other way, and the AER is less than the Gross rate.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure