Don't be afraid to haggle!!

I'm currently working in Norway alongside another guy from the UK. We both get paid pretty much the same, stay in the same hotel and go to the same few restaurants.

When I first booked into the hotel, I asked to speak to the manager and told him I'd be here for several months and could he do me a better deal on the rate. He said he couldn't reduce the rate but gave me a couple of nights stay for free. I then blagged free bread and salad in the evening, so now tend to have sandwiches for dinner. I mentioned this to my colleague and he looked at me as though I was a weirdo!

I have now just negotiated free TV for the next fortnight (and it costs £10 a day, so quite a good deal) because "I've been here a while and have recommended the hotel to other colleagues". Again, my colleague laughed and said I was "unbelieveable". When I suggested he do the same, he said that he wouldn't lower himself.

The thing is that I must be saving about £6 every evening, have saved £100 with the 2 complementary nights stay and about £90 on the TV package. All because I wasn't ashamed to ask.

I'm the same when I go shopping in the UK, much to my wife's embarrassment, and have managed to get stuff thrown in for free or the item itself discounted. Mrs D always senses a haggle coming on and quickly slopes off :rolleyes: , leaving me to it. This is much better than her old approach which was to burst out in embarrased laughter and slap me on the arm, totally ruining my pitch! :rotfl:

Do any other MSE blaggers receive the same treatment by the pals, colleagues or spouses?

threadbanner.gif
Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
[strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73

Comments

• GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    I'm ashamed to say that I haggle as well. I seem to get away with lots of freebies as well, I've got a cheeky smile and I always ask nicely and 9 times out of 10 I'm successful.

It's got the to stage that people actually ask me to accompany them for their big purchases.
  • Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    Why would you not haggle? I've saved loads, and no harm asking - they can only say no and you're no worse off then are you.
    Good for you - I think your colleague's the one who's daft.
    You're right though, some people won't do it, and think it's in some way odd, I think it's odd to want to pay more than you have to!
  • Tustastic
    Tustastic Posts: 2,096
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I applaud all your haggling Dithering Dad and I would stand proudly by while you did it if we were related.
    However, big however, I am the non-haggler in a large clan of hagglers. Not exactly embarrassment; I just don't know how to do it - the words don't come. I don't mind trying it if it's for work or for a friend.
    My bargains come off the internet. Well, Freecycle mainly ;)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MoneySavingExpert Forum Team
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    GirlRacer wrote: »
    I've got a cheeky smile and I always ask nicely and 9 times out of 10 I'm successful.

Ah, the old "flirt haggle" ploy. I'm a bit rubbish at this one. I find that a good smile or wink gets the ball rolling, but when I perform the classic combination of gentle pat on the sales assistant's bottom and appreciative nod and raised eyebrow towards their cleavage, I end up losing my discount.

No matter how many times I use this strategy, it fails. Does anyone know where I'm going wrong? Should I pat harder or something?

*confused*
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try undoing your flies! Works for me! :beer:
  • smilermonkey
    smilermonkey Posts: 98
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I love haggling! The last thing I got was some headphones thrown in when my dd bought herself an electric guitar, a saving of £16 and an essential as far as I was concerned;)
    "grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can and the wisdom to know it's me"

Debt at highest £18249
    DEBT FREE SINCE APRIL 29TH 2007
    :T :T :T
  • steve700
    steve700 Posts: 312 Forumite
    I'm the same when I go shopping in the UK, much to my wife's embarrassment, and have managed to get stuff thrown in for free or the item itself discounted. Mrs D always senses a haggle coming on and quickly slopes off :rolleyes: , leaving me to it. This is much better than her old approach which was to burst out in embarrased laughter and slap me on the arm, totally ruining my pitch! :rotfl:

That did make me laugh - Thanks :rotfl:
  • sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    I can't haggle, I get embarrassed. I made my daughter haggle once though, she was 11 at the time and she wanted a bag in spain. She haggled and managed to get it cheaper so maybe I should just send her to the shops.

However, I do love a bargain, and I am not ashamed to go for a cheaper option! My OH is embarrassed when I mention to our 'richer, childless' friends about my bargain hunting. He thinks I am obsessed with saving pennies (which of course I am) and he thinks it is something to be ashamed of. And he comes from a family of bargain hunters.

But well done DD for haggling with the hotel.
    Quality is doing something right when no one is looking - Henry Ford
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Bunnyinthelights Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    I'm ot much good at it but my Mom is brilliant as is my DH. He is great-he'll just walk away and they end up chasing him to give him stuff! When he bought is moorcycle he got a free helmut, gloves and rainproof suit! (He had to come home without the bike then they called him back and said YES!)

Well done DD-I think it's brilliant!
    Bunny x
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    I always ask for a discount if possible but to be honest I havent really brought that much to haggle about over the last year.

My mum is the one. Dominic Littlewood eat your heart out!

Washing Machines, Dryers, Matressess, Freeview Boxes.. infact everything that she canto be honest. This stuff wasnt even for her but for my cousins but she cant stop herself. She gets hefty discounts or gets them to throw in freebies.

I am not ashamed as this as long as the shop keeper is happy then what is the problem?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure