PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breakfast Cereals

Options
I'm looking for a cheap but healthy breakfast cereal because I go through the stuff so quickly.

I currently eat Shredded Wheat because it seems to be the healthiest cereal but at £1.98 a box which only lasts a week, it's a bit expensive. I'd love to buy a big bag of muesli but the trouble is the sodium and/or sugar content is too high on the ones I've checked.

I do eat Porridge occasionally but it's too much hassle twice a day!

So does anyone know which cereals are healthy and also cheap?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I think it has to be porridge for cheap and healthy. My kids love it but it's not practical for our rushed school mornings. I make it in the microwave - even for 2pints it's only a few minutes and one lot of stirring. I make it every day for my hens though!

Shredded Wheat is supposed to be the healthiest commercial breakfast cereal. Sainsburys used to do boxes of mini shredded wheats the size of Shreddies and they used to be cheaper than Shredded Wheat. Not sure if they still do them.

We have Shredded Wheat,Weetabix, Shreddies and Muesli (all Lidls or Asda's own). First the Shreddies go, then the Weetabix and Muesli. The Shredded Wheat is only eaten because there's 'nothing nice left'.

And ... why 'twice a day'?
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm on a low salt, low fat diet and the best ones for me are Shredded Wheat and porridge. I think Fitness is ok too. I didn't know till recently that there's as much salt in cornflakes as crisps.
  • soon2bjobless
    Options
    You can grind down porrige in the food processor and make like instant ready break - cooks a lot quicker.

Porrige is lovely cooked in the slow cooker overnight but you do have to make a big amount of it or it doesnt work properly.

I also eat Somerfield own make bran flakes and they are lovely.
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • coffeeandfags
    Options
    I use Lidl bran flakes. Im sure they are well under £1 a box.....and funnily enough the kids love em too! Also keep me nice and regular!

coffeeandfags
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could you not make your own muesli? I'm sure it must be loads cheaper - and you know what's gone in it! :)
    Mink
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Daisy wrote:
    I'm looking for a cheap but healthy breakfast cereal because I go through the stuff so quickly.

I currently eat Shredded Wheat because it seems to be the healthiest cereal but at £1.98 a box which only lasts a week, it's a bit expensive. I'd love to buy a big bag of muesli but the trouble is the sodium and/or sugar content is too high on the ones I've checked.

I do eat Porridge occasionally but it's too much hassle twice a day!

So does anyone know which cereals are healthy and also cheap?
    Try Lidl's Special Luxury Fruit Muesli, no salt or sugar in that and quite cheap at around £1.50. It does have a lot of fruit/nuts in it so why not try buying some large flake porridge oats from your health food shop (78p 1kg) and mixing those with the muesli to make it stretch a little further.
    I don't really know why you bother to cook porridge if you're in a hurry why not try adding milk/yoghurt and a bit of fruit and save energy and time by eating it without cooking it. I add a tablespoon of ground linseed to mine to increase omega3 intake.
    Eating uncooked large flake porridge oats is in line with the advice from the GI diet book. Becuase it's not been so processed or cooked it takes longer for your body to absorb the nutrients and therefore leaves you feeling satisfied for longer.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we make bananna porridge for breakfast. basically done in microwave with water then once cooked add a mashed bananna! Easy, quick, cheap and healthy!
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    As Ted suggested above, I don't cook my porridge. I put porridge oats, milk and grated apple together and leave it in the fridge overnight, or enough for a couple of days. In the morning I put chopped dates, dried apricots, whatever soft fruit I have lying around, banana or some nuts and honey. I think it was in a Jamie Oliver book. It is lovely!
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, I'm really impressed with all your suggestions.

Great idea to make my own muesli. I think I'll check out the one in Lidl first to see what sort of things I want in it.

Mmm, mashed banana in porridge sounds nice. Someone elsewhere said they put sultanas in which sounds nice too. Does porridge made with water taste okay? I've always used milk. I'm definitately going to try the uncooked version with apple etc.. Also, are all makes of porridge oats the same? Aren't they all 'instant'?
    Magentasue wrote:
    And ... why 'twice a day'?

Er.. is it just me or do other people have cereal for their supper too?
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Daisy wrote:
    Er.. is it just me or do other people have cereal for their supper too?

Blimey that's bought back some memories! I used to when I was young(er) but haven't done that for years :D

*And no I'm not ancient, lol
    Mink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family