NTL 250 Modem & BB speeds - You need to check!

Options
Hello people,

During my quest for a decent loyalty package with VM it was discovered that i am only getting 2Mb broadband when i have been charged for the last several months for 4Mb:mad: which i thought i was getting.

The techy ones amongst you may wonder how the hell i didn't notice:confused: however my daughter has been complaining for ages that there is no way were getting 4Mb.

After at least 10 phone calls and hours upon hours of my time (prior to the dicovery)NTL and then VM assured me that i was getting 4Mb THEN it was discovered that my NTL 250 modem was NOT capable of providing 4Mb!

They have refunded me the difference and are going to give me a new modem - thats nice:rolleyes:

Please please check that your getting the speed that your paying for because if your modem isn't up for the job then VM sure as hell wont tell you despite charging you for it.

Comments

• ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ambit 250 modems are capable of 20meg connection mate
  • Gillyn_2
    Gillyn_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Merely stating what was told to me today at VM Broadband support. They spotted the issue with the 250 and mentioned that mine was certainly not an isolated case.

Just dont want people to get ripped like i have been thats all
  • Bertbert
    Options
    The Ambit 250 can do 40meg down/10meg up. This assumes that you are using the RJ45 port and not the USB port. It is USB 1.1 and is only capable of a maximum of 12meg and is usually a lot slower than this. Always use RJ45 if you have more than a 1meg connection.

I'm running a 250 at the moment and getting real world speeds of 8.5-9meg on a 10meg connection.
  • ianian99
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bertbert wrote: »
    The Ambit 250 can do 40meg down/10meg up. This assumes that you are using the RJ45 port and not the USB port. It is USB 1.1 and is only capable of a maximum of 12meg and is usually a lot slower than this. Always use RJ45 if you have more than a 1meg connection.

I'm running a 250 at the moment and getting real world speeds of 8.5-9meg on a 10meg connection.

your are quite correct mate, i'd say usb 1 was the culpret too. I had my ten meg plug'd into usb 1 card and could only get 1/2 meg download , plugged into ethernet 1.2 meg download.
  • westy23
    westy23 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi
    can anyone tell me what the maximum download speed on the motorola surfboard sb4100 modem will be, connected thru a ethernet port.
    thanks
  • ianian99
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    westy23 wrote: »
    hi
    can anyone tell me what the maximum download speed on the motorola surfboard sb4100 modem will be, connected thru a ethernet port.
    thanks

34mbps

http://broadband.motorola.com/modem/SB4100.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills