holidays for solos

Options
My recently widowed mother(58) needs a holiday, doesn't want to go on her own Any ideas to persuade her

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Ramblers Holidays

Walking holidays would be good as you get the opportunity to talk as you are walking along. When I used to go walking with my partner we found that we would spend most of the days talking to other people. Now she has to go walking on her own but it gives her a good day out and the chance to chat to other folk. These holidays aren't specifically designed for singles but the ones we went on always had several singletons. If she booked on one of the longer walks then it would be good for her to practice walking all day with the local ramblers and that would not only be good healthy exercise (extremely good for depression) but would get her into the swing of rambling clubs. She would find she is amongst others of that age. Not the oldest by any means but also not the youngest.

Solitair holidays
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    I was widowed when I was in my late 40's and I went on a holiday arranged by the local newspaper. I booked all the excursions in advance so that everything was arranged before I went and I had a wonderful time, there were a few other single people but most were couples, however because most people seemed to go on the excusions every day it was like going out with a group of friends. I wouldn't have gone on a beach type package but for a sight seeing trip it was great.
    I also went on a singles holiday and I hated it, very cliquey (sp) and a lot of !!!!!iness amongst the women.
  • Fenella
    Fenella Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    Special interest holidays are good. If you go alone you will always meet people with an interest in common and you usually take meals together. (Eating alone can be one of the worst parts of holidaying alone). I have done several painting holidays on my own.

Saga do not charge a single supplement on most of their holidays and the Rep always ensures that the singles are happy.
    Born to shop;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi I too was widowed 18 months ago at 58 and it is hard to make the effort but tell your Mum to have a go.I went to Paris with a coach tour for a long week-end last year and had a great time.I would like to go to America next year but the single supplement is so dear that a lot of the time it puts people off.
    I try to do something different every day even if it's only to walk around my local Tesco's.If you stay indoors you get very isolated from other people.I went to an adult ed class as well.filling the day is very helpful too.
    Give your Mum my best regards and tell her to try and get out there even if only for a couple of days somewhere
    cheers JackieO
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

With regard to Saga singles holidays, I went on a singles weekend and it was a disaster. I was with the wrong generation!! In my late 50s/early 60s, I was more Elvis Presley than Vera Lynn, and I wasn't clued up on all the wartime jokes etc. Some of the people there treated it more like a WWII reunion than a singles holiday.

I would agree that a holiday with people who have a similar interest is a much better idea. Just lumping everyone together because they happen to be over 50 is no guarantee of success. The Ramblers Association would be a good place to start, if your Mum can walk. Her county's Wildlife Trust have a programme of events. The best thing really is to develop an interest and go out with other people that way.

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Gerbil_Lady
    Options
    I can recommend HF Holidays (all over UK and Europe) and Earnley Concourse near Chichester as great places for single people to holiday without single supplement and to make friends with the bonus of a possible new hobby.
  • hermit-crab
    hermit-crab Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Not long after the death of my dear wife my son and daughter persuaded me that a holiday would be a good idea. I went on a Saga holiday and like margaretclare I found it a disappointing experience. These days I spend holidays with my brother-in-law (also a widower) and we enjoy walking in the lake district. My advice is for you to see if there is someone preferably with something in common with your mother who would be happy to accompany her.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    I think that, particularly for a woman who's widowed in her late 50s, everybody may think: 'oh, a holiday will be a good idea'. But it ain't necessarily so. If she's always been used to being with her late husband and/or their children on family holidays, it feels quite strange to go off on your own, and with a group of complete strangers who have nothing in common except being the same age-group, you can feel very very lonely. It's an artificial sort of a feeling.

On the other hand, it's difficult for her to develop an interest that's outside whatever she and her husband did together. But there must be SOME things that interest her, and if she can walk she has a tremendous advantage because she will meet enthusiasts of all ages, the beautiful scenery is out there, the wildlife, healthy exercise getting tired so she'll eat and sleep well....

There are holidays related to every interest and activity you can name: embroidery, gardening, stately homes, history, wildlife, languages, you name it. There's absolutely everything! But going along with a group of total strangers, some of whom will know each other and will form a 'clique' to shut you out - that can leave you feeling worse than you did before.

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was widowed I went on a Solo's weekend in the Peak District and then a weekend at Chester. Everyone is single and most of them are not looking for partners. The weekends are excellent and a good way of finding out if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.solosholidays.co.uk/

They also do 'proper' holidays for single people.

(Incidentally I did find a partner at the Chester weekend and we are now married)
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try Friendship Travel (I've not been but have had good reports from friends)

http://www.friendshiptravel.com/

I'd also recommend HF Holidays if your mum likes walking. Not aimed specifically at single people, but a lot of people are on their own and its a great way to make friends. They offer three grades of walks, so there is something for everyone. Often people take guitars etc and make their own entertainment in the evening. The food is good too!

http://www.hfholidays.co.uk/
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure