Remembering passwords/usernames

Options
Fed up with typing usernames and passwords everytime,is there a program which remembers them for me and automatically fills the information in?

Thanks
catch22

Comments

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use Firefox. It has this feature built in. I know this because I wont use any program to remember for me. The first time I go to login to a new site Firefox always asks me if I want it to remember my login details for that site.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Catch22

If you do this, remember that anyone with access to your PC would be able to log in to those sites where you have saved your password.

Why not have a password protected file on your PC (e.g. a Word document) with all the details there. Then you can just copy & paste the details when you need them. You then only need to remember the password for the Word document ... though that's not entirely secure either! So perhaps put the document on a USB stick that you carry around with you, instead of saving it on your hard drive.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    catch22 wrote:
    Fed up with typing usernames and passwords everytime,is there a program which remembers them for me and automatically fills the information in?

Password Safe freeware.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • Chippy_Minton
    Chippy_Minton Posts: 3,339 Forumite
    Options
    When I was trawling for password managers several months ago I tried several, including Password Safe, and found them too restrictive if your details don't fit into a simple username/password format.

Far, far better IMHO is KeyNote. It has a completely free format so you can store anything - username, email address, password, PIN, account number, memorable date etc., with a tabbed and tree structure if you want to arrange your information. It also has colour fonts, search, encryption, and it's FREE.
  • meclive
    meclive Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeh these programs are great.... a script kiddy sends you a virus and has all your passwords... great stuff...
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    meclive wrote:
    Yeh these programs are great.... a script kiddy sends you a virus and has all your passwords... great stuff...
    I'm wary about passwords and using programmes like this too. I write mine down, but if anyone broke in they would have all the passwords in one place... except my login password which is in my head.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm wary about passwords and using programmes like this too. I write mine down

I'm too wary of computers to trust them to store my passwords as well. I also write mine down using my own code. Only problem with this is if anything happened to me. My OH wouldn't have a clue how to decipher them. I've tried explaining to her in the past, but it just seems to go over her head.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Chippy_Minton
    Chippy_Minton Posts: 3,339 Forumite
    Options
    meclive wrote:
    Well I definitely wouldn't store passwords in password-protected Word doc, but the programs above use Blowfish encryption and like most encryption algorithms is very secure against brute force attack as long as you give it a long pass phrase.
  • backflip
    backflip Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    I use PINS to store all my passwords, email logins, bank account details in fact everything. It installs onto a floppy so nothing is on your system and is also encrypted so can't be accessed by anyone else.
    http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/pins.html
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meclive wrote:

How? Please explain.

Been using Password Safe for eight years.

Allows you to store freetext notes and details as well as usernames and randomly generated passwords. As stated by Chippy it uses Blowfish so it's secure. Can also be archived/backed-up offline still encrypted, so even if somebody found your CD-ROM/floppy it would be useless to them.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills