🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

benefit advice?

Options
Hi, i wonder if anyone out there can help? My husband has been made unemployed, and we are in a muddle, I work 22.5 hours a week and earn about 12,500 a year, we have 2 small children under 5 and we are unsure what we can claim, we currently get working families tax credits, he is looking for work, but i am unsure whether to up my hours or wait to see what happens but in the meantime we have a morgage to pay and bills, any ideas, please?
:A :j

Comments

• 5MINSALONE
    5MINSALONE Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im not totally sure on this but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong:

Let WTC and CTC know of your parnters change in income as they take this into account to give you your award. You may get more.

Also make a claim for housing benifit, they wont pay your mortgage, but may pay the intrest on your mortgage. It is always worth trying a claim.

you may also be able to claim income support because your partner doesnt work but I think if memory serves me right.... you have to work under 16 hours a week.

Has your partner claimed jobseelkers allowence as he is actively seeking work? Why not ask at the job center if there is anythig else you are entitled to.

Hope some of that is of help :-[ :)
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    Karren,

Regarding Tax Credits, you should inform them if your income has gone up or down by £2,500, which for you seems to be the case - they will adjust this year's award. I would suggest one or both of you visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They can tell you what benefits you may be entitled to and how much. They can calculate what your new Tax Credit award should be and they can do a "better off" calculation to see whether it is worth you increasing your hours or not. (Take all details of your income with you including income for the year 2003-4 for Tax Credits calculations.) At least that way you will know exactly where you stand in your new financial situation. Unfortunately you'll have to do the same again when he finds work!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the advice, rung the tax credits people and they had already sorted it, so some money goes into our account on fri, fab!!!
    :A :j
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    Karren,

Great, it's nice to hear a success story about Tax Credits for once! :)

It's still worth you checking with Citizens Advice though in case your husband doesn't find work soon.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Your husband should be claiming Jobseekers Allowance details are here Jobseekers Allowance

If your husband makes a claim then when the Income based JSA kicks in, your current hours will be under the 24hr limit for partners.

You will find details of Help with Housing Costs IS8 Help with Housing Costs You will not be able to make a Housing Benefit claim as you are not renting, you will however, after a waiting period, be entitled to some help with Mortgage Interest Payments but read the above guide and take note that not all the Mortgage will be paid (no repayment element) and the DWP standard interest rate may not be the interest rate you are paying.

As you are newbie claimers it will be wise to follow Fran's advice to get Welfare Rights to check that you are getting everything you are entitled to.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help me? I receive DLA and SDA, my husband receives a bursary as a student nurse and we get childrens tax credit as we have 2 children. Are we missing out on anything else? :o
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help me?  I receive DLA and SDA, my husband receives a bursary as a student nurse and we get childrens tax credit as we have 2 children.  Are we missing out on anything else? :o

You could have a bash at Housing Benefit and some reduction on your Council Tax. If your income is below a certain level you might qualify for free dental and optical care. Ideally, go to CAB or similar because bursaries seem to be different to wages or benefits, and the rules are different.
  • frances2
    frances2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you live in rented housing Housing Benefit can not help. You can apply for Council Tax benefit. I would advise you to see CAB or Benefits Advic Centre if your local council has one.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    If you still feel that your mortgage is draining your income, try contacting your mortgage lender most are quite happy to help, they may reduce your payments for a little while to help you out or untill things get better.

i'm sure they could come up with some solution usually they will ask you for your details and call you back for all your expenditure details make sure you tell them every single thing you pay out to help them arrange a payment plan with you.

I'm not 100% sure but i think they are more open to this if you have gone into arrears on your account i know it sounds stupid but when i was in a similar position a few years ago i rang for help/advice from the halifax and they said ring back once your account is in arrears ??? ???

HTH & Good luck
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• pike30
    pike30 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    just woundering what i could claim i dont work i have a 6year old son lives whith me i live i rented property any advice would help thanks
    something missing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family