🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Anyone making crackers? What are you putting in them?

Options
Hi all,

This is my second year of making crackers.

I plan to put in a scratchcard, mint chocolate, a small mind game, I am also putting in a joke and another something I haven't decided on yet.

Any ideas on something else small?

The joke is also where I am stuck.

I would like to put in a fairly good one, that doesn't make someone groan.

We have a 96 year old, down to a 2 year old, and we have 10 adults.

Anyone have any good jokes they plan to put in?

Comments

• rose_sparky
    Options
    I picked up a new Sainsburys cracker kit in a charity shop yesterday for the grand sum of 50p.
  • ladymacbeth_uk
    Options
    Scratchcard what a great idea....

Well you could decorate each cracker with family names so that each person gets the appropriate cracker - remember they will all swap amongst themselves if they want to change gifts.

You could put in an alcoholic miniture (obviously for the adults of the group), sweeties, costume jewellery, mini lip glosses, nail varnishes, mini trains, cars, marbles, lego?

You could buy a cheap joke book then just tear out the jokes you want to use?

You a laugh you could put a few 'I promise to wash the dishes'/'to eat all my dinner' /'to make the next cup of tea' /'to clear the table' to make helping out after dinner fun? Okay maybe your kids are too smart for this.......
    Ladymac
  • meerkatgirl
    Options
    Where can you buy kits from? I'd love to give this a go
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I hunt on the web for jokes and then print them on strips of paper to go in the crackers.Forums are a good source for jokes.
    Last year DD and I put homemeade badges in the crackers (from a badge-it kit),in other years we have put in sweets,HM FIMO pencil toppers,decorated biro's,fridge magnets and keyrings. Usually we use craft kits we already have to make the things.
    Where can you buy kits from? I'd love to give this a go
    There were cracker kits in poundland when I was there yesterday.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought 2 kits in Tesco - not the cheapest but look quite nice and happen to match my decor perfectly :)

I used scratch cards last year and probably will again :) We're off to the good food show tomorrow and last year I managed to walk past the ANton Berg stall several times and get enough free chocolates (the alcoholic ones) to put one in each of the crackers I did :)
    This year I'll try to do the same but failing that I'll put some wrapped choccies in and maybe see if I can find some mini treat for each person :) As for jokes... hmmm try googling for Christmas jokes :) that should bring a few up :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found some keyrings in a cheapie card shop - ones with peoples names one - got a couple of those as they'll go down well, I've put bookmarks in a couple too - I bought them as they were apt but you could always make your own and I found some fantastic bits and bobs in a shop near me.....mini slinky spring, mini kalediscope, mini bubble baths etc.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • DLL67
    DLL67 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a pack of make your own crackers from Asda yesterday approx £2.50for 6 gold crackers. This will be my first year for making my own crackers so all the suggestions I have found here for small gifts to put inside them have been great. Thanks!
  • dorsetmiss_2
    Options
    Well you could decorate each cracker with family names so that each person gets the appropriate cracker - remember they will all swap amongst themselves if they want to change gifts.

One year I printed out small photos of each recipient and stuck those on each cracker....
    Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!
  • kaja86
    kaja86 Posts: 619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Home Bargains
    6 crackers for £1.49-very good quality.
    Jewellery is always a good one for that someone special!!!
    ;) Newbie Comper ;)
    Wins so far-crunchie bar, Friends DVD set,
    Clynol shampoo + cond, LUSH Christmas set
  • Debbie_S
    Debbie_S Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made Swarovski bead earrings for the girls. It sounds expensive and tricky to do but they are really easy.
    http://jewelrymaking.about.com/library/weekly/aa110100.htm

Here's were I buy beads and findings
    https://www.jillybeads.com
    Think of happiness as a kind of mental gardening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport