🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do banks have to tell you when they are going to charge ?

Options
Hi folks :hello:

Well yesterday i sent off my firt letter to Natwest, the data protection one, so fingers crossed they will come up trumps :rolleyes:

Anyway my question is this..... well 2 actually.

1) i have a huge overdraft with Natwest will they just pay it into my account or send me a cheque, or even refuse ?

2) are they supposed to advise youy when they are going to charge you for anything :confused: my bank never does, since April this year i have been charged now over £1000 and never been aware of it till i check my account.
I call them and ask for it to be taken off and got told that it wasn't her fault that the money wasn't in my account, and perhaps i should check my finances properly :mad:

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    I call them and ask for it to be taken off and got told that it wasn't her fault that the money wasn't in my account, and perhaps i should check my finances properly

She's right.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Well i know that obviously but i wasn't expecting a comment like that from someone on here, i needed some advice.

Thanks for the comment !
  • MPH80
    Options
    If you know it - why was there a :mad: smilie next to it? What's to get mad about? In fact - if you know it - why was it worth even mentioning?

To answer your question - no point worrying yet - you have a long road ahead of you. You have a 40 day wait for the DPA request - followed by several letters and the threat of legal action to get a response.

So don't count your money yet. Just concentrate on waiting for the list of charges back.

M.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    i was just having a bit of a rant, i didn't realise that wasn't allowed on here anymore !I didn't post on here to be made to feel stupid i was genuinly asking for advice, sorry to waste your time !!!
  • MPH80
    Options
    Rants are perfectly allowed.

Justified rants will get my sympathy.

Unjustified ones - like yours - will get a suitably terse response.

M.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...i have a huge overdraft with Natwest will they just pay it into my account or send me a cheque...
    I can't see them giving you a cheque to spend on something else, can you?
    ...are they supposed to advise youy when they are going to charge you for anything :confused: my bank never does, since April this year i have been charged now over £1000 and never been aware of it till i check my account.
    When they give you the T&C's for the account, they expect you to read them and perhaps file them away for future reference. However, because there are many people who don't, they also post them on their website...

http://www.natwest.com/personal02.asp?id=PERSONAL/DAY_TO_DAY/CURRENT_ACCOUNTS/RATES_CHARGES#unarranged
    I call them and ask for it to be taken off and got told that it wasn't her fault that the money wasn't in my account, and perhaps i should check my finances properly :mad:
    Already answered by MPH80. :D
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I've replied to your post on another thread Cullumpster. Don't feel stupid - as Martin says:

Please be nice to all MoneySavers. There’s no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.

Hope you haven't been put off posting :)
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1 - Pay it into your account
    2 - Yes, normally they print upcoming charges at the bottom of your statement, or send a letter x days in advance
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what nat west policy is, but some banks have been closing accounts after making refunds - so make sure you have alternative banking arrangements in place.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    Banks always give two or three weeks notice of charges or incurred interest. “This amount will be deducted from your account on 30th November”.
    That is always advised on the previous statement.

Which, of course, leaves those who never open, let alone check their statements, at a distinctive disadvantage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport