Worst/Strangest Christmas Present!

Options
OK whilst this might not appear to be money saving it might just save someone else from making an expensive mistake. What has been the worst or strangest Christmas present you have ever received.

The present I used to dread opening was the one from my MIL, one year it was a tapestry picture of what looked like a basket of fruit. Ok so you will say it was done with time and love. The only thing was it was done with lots of left over thread from some other tapestries she had done so was a rather strange colour mix. Also you could tell she got fed up as many of the stitches were made bigger to cover a larger area so looked very childlike. Oh and to top it all the frame was painted green - a lovely combination and just what I always wanted! Before you all say she was maybe trying to save the pennies, she always gives her DS an expensive gift. Another year I got a very cheap plastic hairbrush with the 99p sticker still attached..:rotfl: ..had to laugh at that one.

Come on what have you received?
threadbanner.gif

Cats.

Comments

• nelliebag
    nelliebag Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I once got a camouflage green track suit and matching socks from my husband - wore it once round the house to do the cleaning and it went straight in the charity bag -it was definitely not my style.
  • nelliebag
    nelliebag Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forgot to say that hubby once got a video case (no video) from some v wealthy relatives.
  • KizzyK_2
    KizzyK_2 Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    When I was 14 or 15 I was given a screaming skull mask that had been left over from Halloween from my uncle and aunt. My parents were not impressed.
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

• mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    A wool poncho from my mother - not only am I allergic to wool but it would never ever be the sort of thing I'd wear.

I hate getting makeup bags full of creams and lotions. So unimaginative, if someone wants to put that little thought into buying me something, then just don't bother buying me anythng at all.
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • monkeymonkeyrarara
    Options
    I once bought my best friend a rubber snake. I thought it would be hilarious. I was sadly mistaken.
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    Not quite myself but I went over to New Zealand to meet OH's family and they put on a lovely big spread for christmas. I hadn't met many of the family before and Oh's 2 Grandma's were there, despite knowing each other for over 40 years they had never really liked each other. The gift giving began and we were all given some lovely gifts. One Grandma handed the other Grandma a beautifully wrapped present and inside was a a single J Cloth, it was pure malice as money hadn't been spared on anyone else, everyone was silent, "present giving" Grandma sitting in her wheelchair had this really wry smile on her face and BIL and I just looked at each other astounded and we were both starting to crack up, to think that 2 very old ladies could be so petty and mean to each other after all these years to me was hilarious!
  • AfM_3
    AfM_3 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I think the title says it all.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    I got two tea-towels from my MIL ,no we don't get on but the funniest thing was I know they came from a packl of 4 so who was lucky enough to get the other 2? How come I was not loved enough to get the other 2?!!!!!xxxx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • There is a history of bad present giving in both mine and OH's family...

My (sadly departed) Great Aunt used to surpass herself when we were small children by giving us various videos - mainly extremely gory b-rated horror movies, or what was verging on soft p - orn for the era! And we're talking ages 4 to 10 here! Not suitable at all, and I think they probably came from her own collection!

My father is also a great thoughtless gift buyer... Last year he bought me a Jilly Cooper novel - now I'll read practically anything but she is really not my cup of tea - Intrigued I asked him why he had bought it for me, and he said "because I know how much you like horses" - this was shocking for two reasons - 1. the novel was about a violinist (my father had mistaken the violin bow on the cover for a horse whip!) and 2. I really don't like horses and am the least horsey person you would ever meet!

He also one year bought my mother 1 present - a Doormat - claiming she had been moaning for months that they needed a new one... Looks on everyones faces were priceless and he will never live that one down - particularly as at the time he was very undomesticated and my mother literally did everything around the house!
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Options
    I was given a gift-wrapped black flower bucket (the ones that garages always seem to be giving away) by an in-law. She told me she had noticed that I needed a bin in my front room!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure