CHEAPER MOBILE CHARGER

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
CHEAPER MOBILE CHARGER: Not rocket science, but those using computers at work can connect a special little wire you connect into the USB slot (back of the PC) that charges your mobile phone.  At around £8 it’s much cheaper than buying a new charger (and your work pays for the power - of course you should always ask'em first)

To get one (you need the right lead for your mobile) for the cheapest price, simply use one of the internet shopping comparison sites such as Kelkoo or price runner (list of shopping comparison sites or full article explaining them) just put USB Mobile charger in the search box to find them.

To ask a question, discuss this, or if you find them cheaper click reply

UPDATE NOTE: A few people have commented using your employers power may not be legal. Just to note that's not what i am recommending, in the tip it says 'and work pays for it' yet when you click to here, as you'll see above I had written 'of course you should always ask them'. Sorry for any confusion
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Or save £8 and take your existing charger into work with you and plug that in! ;D

I know you don't have charger at home then but as a lot of people are at desk most of day anyway at least you can charge phone easily and remember when you are sat down rather than remembering when you get home at end of each day. :D
  • alexj2002
    alexj2002 Posts: 262 Forumite
    A bit off topic I Know but if can anyone help me find a Trium Mondo charger (mains,usb,car anything) - i've lost mine and cannot find a replacement anywhere.

Thanks,

Alex
    Alex Jones
  • steeev
    steeev Posts: 336 Forumite
    I bought a nokia compatible charger for a quid in a pound shop in camden, and it works fine!

Nokia may say that using a non Nokia branded charger may damage your phone, but all it is really is a transformer, nothing that hi tech about it.
  • Like the idea of bringing your charger in from home but like a few of us, I used to forget to bring it back or take it in etc. I've been using USB chargers for a few years both for Nokia and Sony Ericcson and they sure are cheaper than the manufacturers chargers. BTW, some sites will often offer the "manufacturers charger" and a similar charger but not made by Nokia etc. These latter ones are often half the price of the originals and ironically tend to be lighter and less bulkier too.

P.S. I also bought an extra for my Sony Ericcson which as well as the USB lead, also came with a mains and car charger with a USB connection so I can use the same lead whether at home, car or work.
  • aris
    aris Posts: 339
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    One of the cheapest and most reliable online vendors of mobile accessories is m-99 - https://www.m-99.com

The USB charger is £8.90 - and the regular mains charger is £6.70. Both these prices include P&P
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Alexj, you can get one here http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/accessories/all/chargers, scroll down about 2/3 of the page
  • alexj2002
    alexj2002 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Alexj, you can get one here http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/accessories/all/chargers, scroll down about 2/3 of the page

Thanks,

Sadly Orange won't take my card (probably because although it's Switch it doesn't have an issue number and has a start date)

In the end I've gone for a USB Charger from expansys. It was a few quid cheaper (but still expensive at £16 IMO).

Alex
    Alex Jones
  • I've used these guys before.
    USB charger £6.95 inc postage

http://www.1st4mobileaccessories.co.uk/mobile_phone_chargers.shtml

Cases and covers are also cheap.
  • sablade
    sablade Posts: 399
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks for that tip I'll make sure none of my staff steal electricity from me !!!

bah humbug!!!
    If you dont ask for discount you don't get discount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family