Credit Card Security Hint

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Note for the Great Shredder Hunt click here

QUICK HINT FOR BAR GOERS, EATERS AND CLUBBERS: Nope, sorry, not cheap booze, just a security note.  Pay by credit card & annoyingly many pubs/clubs receipts print the full credit card number.  It’s ridiculous frankly.  Leaving these receipts hanging around makes fraud easier.  Always check to see if the numbers there, if it is just rip the right hand edge off the receipt, getting rid of the last through numbers, stuff that bit in your pocket (so there’s only a little rubbish) and leave the rest on the bar.

To dicscuss this or other security hints, click reply
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Don't drink and charge is my advice!

I'd hate to count the number of times in the US - where bars actually take your card when you start a tab - I've had to return the next day to settle the bill.

:)
  • If you look at your credit card slips, many retailers for some inexplicable reason show the full 16-digit card no. and expiry date!!

Insane!
    Ethical moneysaver
  • I bought a shredder a couple of years ago, and l shred all my receipts regardless of the data on them apart from ones l may need for guarantees of course.

I also shred anything that has my name or address on, l'm very careful with this.  

The shredder l have is this one:

http://www.office-world.co.uk/livp/webliv.pgm/wwgoto=web503/wwsku=207010/wwtab=SHOP/wwsubmenu=1/wwcatg=030070002000/wwsearch=shredder

It is quiet expensive compared to others but it is a cross cut which means it cuts the paper not only vertically but also horizonatally so it is more secure.  Plus it has a 5 year guarantee.  I'm very happy with it.  If you shred less things you may be tempted to do for a cheaper option - l can warn you off the Fellowes P400C-2 - this is a cheap cross cut shredder but there is a high percentage of faulty ones and it only comes with 12mths guarantee.  

My advice would be to buy from a shop where returns are easy, shredders can develop faults esp the cheap ones and so returning them easily should be considered.
    Sense is not common.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    An employee of Office World no doubt.

This is a site aimed at money saving - unless you have more money than common sense, I'd be surprised to find many people who would fork out nearly £80 for a shredder.

I have two hands. When I destroy receipts, statements etc, I use them. I make sure I tear right through the relevant information.

If necessary I get a pair of scissors, and cut it up so it can't be read.

No way would I waste £80.
  • bpyoung
    bpyoung Posts: 3,008
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's also a bit cumbersome to take clubbing with you.
    [size=-2]Matched betting profit: ~ £30,000 since Jan 2005
    Quidco cashback: ~ £3,500 since May 2005
    Topcashback: ~ £2,100 since Oct 2005
    Rpoints: ~ £600 since June 2004

It's only fraud if you get caught.

I don't offer advice by PM so please post your questions in the appropriate thread.[/size]
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    "Oi, are you looking at my shredder?"
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    Money Saving Expert
    Hmmm. The above got me thinking - next weeks tip - i may do a great shredder hunt. (supermarkets are very cheap)

PS. Woby_Tide i laughed out loud at the above! Stonking!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108
    Forumite
    If you shred less things you may be tempted to do for a cheaper option - l can warn you off the Fellowes P400C-2 - this is a cheap cross cut shredder but there is a high percentage of faulty ones and it only comes with 12mths guarantee.  

My advice would be to buy from a shop where returns are easy, shredders can develop faults esp the cheap ones and so returning them easily should be considered.

This may be down to people not keeping the cutters oiled as per the instructions and the temptation to stuff too many peices of paper through at once.

If you buy a Fellowes at Argos and it fails, after the Argos return period but within the gaurantee period, even if it's your fault for not oiling the cutters, phone Fellowes and they tell you to return it to Argos for a full replacement. So no problems there.

I don't know what happens if you buy a Fellowes elsewhere.
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    I believe Argos sell a cross cut shredder for under £30.
  • QUICK HINT FOR BAR GOERS, EATERS AND CLUBBERS: Nope, sorry, not cheap booze, just a security note.  Pay by credit card & annoyingly many pubs/clubs receipts print the full credit card number.  It’s ridiculous frankly.  Leaving these receipts hanging around makes fraud easier.  Always check to see if the numbers there, if it is just rip the right hand edge off the receipt, getting rid of the last through numbers, stuff that bit in your pocket (so there’s only a little rubbish) and leave the rest on the bar.

To dicscuss this or other security hints, click reply

Don't let your card go out of sight. I have heard of people being offered to take cards and photograph them with a phone camera or similar.

Hey presto, instant signature, 3-digit security code etc. Photos passed on to people that clone cards...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure