0844 numbers used by Doctor,s Practices.

Options
hurrah
hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
More and more Doctors practices are using 0844 numbers . But you cant call them from Overseas!!!

If you were ill or injured and the overseas medical people wanted to contact your GP for important info they would not get through.

Its an absolute disgrace that the NHS have allowed GP,s to replace normal numbers with these more expensive ones,that are not included in call packages,and are usually expensive from mobiles.

Comments

• wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    hurrah wrote:
    More and more Doctors practices are using 0844 numbers . But you cant call them from Overseas!!!

If you were ill or injured and the overseas medical people wanted to contact your GP for important info they would not get through.

Its an absolute disgrace that the NHS have allowed GP,s to replace normal numbers with these more expensive ones,that are not included in call packages,and are usually expensive from mobiles.

I agree 100% with this. I phoned my doctor this week on a 0844 number then was put through to the surgery where I was informed that I was number 70 in the queue! I had to wait ages to make an appointment and then was told that to make an afternoon appointment I had to phone on the day itself:mad: So no doubt the same thing will occur next week:mad: :mad: :mad:
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • fonesaver
    fonesaver Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called my doctor when I was abroad as I wasn't feeling well and wanted to make an appointment for the following day when I would be back in the UK. Lucky he has an 01 number!

I agree this is a disgrace. Perhaps when you visit your GP you should point this fact out..he/she might not even be aware of it....
  • littleange
    littleange Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My doctors in Leeds also has one of these numbers, it's annoying, however you can now make appointments online if you ask for a form to sign up for it at the doctors, so next time I go in I'm gonna get a form and then try it out.

Think it uses this emis thing so it might be in all practices eventually.
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    Some interesting info on this subject here: http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1160182005
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our Surgery has gone on to this and you can only make appointments for that day. The lines open at 08.00 so what seems like the whole town rings at 08.00.

On the 3 times I have had to make appointments I have been in the high 20's at that is when I dial just before 08.00.

I was left in the queue for around 15 mins each time.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Old_Gold
    Old_Gold Posts: 908 Forumite
    Options
    Shows how our polticians respond to our needs. They all know its happening and it could be stopped tomorrow if they wanted.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    Are Doctors Practices sharing revenue from the use of the numbers,or some benefit in kind,if so they ought to be ashamed of themselves.:mad:
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are Doctors Practices sharing revenue from the use of the numbers,or some benefit in kind,if so they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Why? Contrary to what most people think GPs are not employed by the NHS, but are self-employed people who supply a service to the NHS. As self-employed people they have to cover their own costs, and using an 0844 number is one way of doing it.

If the argument that it is morally wrong to use 08xx numbers then the NHS ought to have written it in its contract with the GPs.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    Altarf wrote:
    Why? Contrary to what most people think GPs are not employed by the NHS, but are self-employed people who supply a service to the NHS. As self-employed people they have to cover their own costs, and using an 0844 number is one way of doing it.

If the argument that it is morally wrong to use 08xx numbers then the NHS ought to have written it in its contract with the GPs.

Like any other self employed business they have to cover their costs. But they dont have to rip off their patients in the the process,and put their lives at risk because numbers cant be called from outside UK.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like any other self employed business they have to cover their costs. But they dont have to rip off their patients in the the process,and put their lives at risk because numbers cant be called from outside UK.

So how do they make money off the phone line without it being a 'rip off'? Either they make money or they don't.

As for putting 'lives at risk' if you want to call from outside the UK, assuming this life or death scenario occurs between 9-5 Monday to Friday, but if it was 5.05 you would be dead. The doctors are putting 'lives at risk' by the GP surgery not being open 24 hours / 365 days then. Silly argument.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure