Smoke Alarm Check Day

Options
I had an idea about this a couple of years back. Hopefully, by putting it on here I can spread the word and get some people (especially Martin) interested. So here it is:

One specific day a year we all check our smoke alarms. (OK we should perhaps check them more frequently but once a year is a start.) We make it a memorable day. I suggest the day in the autumn when the clocks go back.

We need to get Fire Authorities, Alarm and battery manufacturers on board, but I'm sure they will be happy to join in, even if it's just good business. Now all we need is a snappy title and catchphrase for the occasion.

"Clocks go back - Alarms get checked"

threadbanner.gif
A house isn't a home without a cat.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I'm glad someone found my thead useful!

Yes, I agree with you;they should be checked at least once a year and the autumn clock changing is as good as any. I'll join (although we've only just done ours!).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • xxxdarlingxxx
    Options
    I have a wee pay day list I do every month - I NEVER forget it's pay day !

Check Smoke Alarm
    Read and Enter Meter Readings
    Do car check - tyres, oil, screenwash
    write list for month coming up of things to do/remember - Birthdays, Car Tax etc

It all takes about 30 mins but a good routine, well it works for me !
    xxxdxxx

With compassision, good manners, kindness and dignity as your ticket you will travel far in life.
  • gillp_2
    Options
    Great idea and it'll save lives. But don't stop at ONE alarm. There was a salutory warning in millipod.com 's newsletter yesterday from a contributor who was alerted at 1 a.m. last week by a smoke alarm: a spark from an unguarded fire had set a chair, then curtains and everything else in her living room alight. Though she was awake she hadn't even smelled smoke. Because of the alarm she was able to wake those in her family who'd slept through the noise and get them all out alive, and call 999 in time to save most of her home. She had 5 smoke alarms incidentally and the fire brigade showed her where to install 2 more "because they know how smoke works", as she said.
    As to using clock changing day, I know which way to move the clock because of the US reminder: "Spring forward; fall back". So you could adopt: "Fall back on your smoke alarm", or something similar, perhaps?
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Timely reminder - just moved into a new house, no idea how old the batteries are in the smoke alarms (although they def work - the old cooking sausages on the grill test!) and I deliberately bought some just after we moved in but haven't fitted them yet.

Thanks Bob.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • chirpy007
    chirpy007 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I check my mine monthly !!! a year is a long time
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm glad someone found my thead useful!

Yes, I agree with you;they should be checked at least once a year and the autumn clock changing is as good as any. I'll join (although we've only just done ours!).
    I realised after I posted this and searched back through the forums that both you and, I think, Nelly also had this idea.
    Edited to say it looks like it was Coldfinger but they have the same avatar as Nelly which threw me http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=344&page=4
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • badmad
    badmad Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    There used to be an ad on the TV in northern ireland -
    "Thumbs up on Monday"
    ie. check your smoke alarm very week - on Monday!
    Work to travel, don't travel to work!
  • misterE_3
    Options
    A tickler file is a way to get remind yourself of recurring and one-off things.

I thought this is relevant to the thread as its great for reminding you of things such as checking the smoke alarm, OH's birthday, etc.

I've been using one of these since December last year and have never looked back. Its made me more organised - my tickler file has my back when my brain doesn't.

From wikipedia:
    ...a Tickler File consists of a series of 43 file folders: 12 monthly and 31 daily folders. Items are filed in a folder corresponding to when the item will need to be handled, thus reminding or "tickling" the user about it. These items might be action reminders, bills, receipts, reports, letters, or any number of other things.

If anyone is interested in finding out more, let me know and I'll find some good links.
  • melipona
    melipona Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    I know this sounds a bit sad but when we had battery alarms I used to put a prezzi under the tree at Xmas time with a new set.

We always stocked up on batteries at Xmas anyway for the new gizmos and this just gave the kids one more parcel to open even though it wasn't really for them. They would help to change the battery and put the old one in their toys to use it up. Even sadder I used to send a similar one to my Mums alarm:D

We all have mains ones now.
  • callansdad
    Options
    As a fireighter i commend your idea, but have to add to this thread that we would reccomend that you Check (ie test) your smoke alarm once a week and the taglline we use is 'once a week give it a beep'.

We also reccomend that you change the battery once a year whether or not it has ever been used.

Please also read my thread inn the Freebies section about how to get a free home fire safety risk assessment from your local fire and rescue service and also a free somke alarm if you dont have one.
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure