PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London areas - where to buy?

itgirlinuk
itgirlinuk Posts: 465
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 5 February 2014 at 5:52PM in House buying, renting & selling
Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched House Buying Tips may help.

Back to the original post...

I don't know how many Londoners are on this site, but I was wondering if people could post replies to message regarding areas that they consider good / safe to live / bad / avoid it if you can.

I would help me choose an area (I am currently look all over and at all areas in Zone 2 & 3 and I dont know London very well).

Please help me get an idea of the areas I should concentrate on and avoid.

Thanks in advance
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Depends what your budget is and whether you are after a house/flat/ mansion etc..... there are some lovely parts of London and some really hellish and 3rd world looking ones. Also where do you need to be near to for work/relatives/friends etc.

As a rough suggestion not knowing your situation and what your needs are, I'd suggest Islington, Fulham, Battersea, Dulwich, Tuffnell Park and Clapham as nice generally safe areas but they are also pricey, but then most of London is these days. If you have a bigger budget then go for Hampstead, Chelsea, Notting Hill, Richmond, Maida Vale, South Kensington. Personally I'm not a big fan of East or north-east London and anywhere south or south-east of Clapham, but that's just me...

There is a book available at bookshops/amazone etc that gives you an idea of areas, called The New London Property Guide, ed. Carrie Segrave. And https://www.upmystreet.co.uk also gives you info such as population/schools/crime stats etc for areas.
  • monki_man
    monki_man Posts: 368
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Some parts of Greenwich is nice, Maze Hill is ok as well
    [size=-5]Olympic 2007 challenge Started 9 Jan 2007[strike]Aim Silver 2007.00[/strike] Aim Gold 3007.00 Achieved so far:782
    [/size]
    [size=-5]Feb 2007 Grocery Challenge

28th-03rdFeb £17.75
    04th-10thFeb £13.31
    11th-17thfeb £18.54
    18th-24thfeb £17.19
    25th-3rdmar £3.70
    [/size]
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Peckham Rye is an up and coming area. I've a friend whose parents live there and it's really getting better and better. It's even got some "trendy" bars! Never used to when my friend was growing up there................
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    london is really so vast and the question so general.

the first thing to consider are travelling arrangements from home to where. this will usually dictate the corridor you will live in. then you need to break that corridor down. as a rule of thumb the further you move out the cheaper the property becomes (though not always true).

if you give us a guide to the area you work or study, how long you are prepared to travel, and your budget then I could suggest some areas.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    West/south west:

Chiswick
    Ealing
    Richmond
    Putney
  • itgirlinuk wrote:
    I don't know how many Londoners are on this site, but I was wondering if people could post replies to message regarding areas that they consider good / safe to live / bad / avoid it if you can.

I would help me choose an area (I am currently look all over and at all areas in Zone 2 & 3 and I dont know London very well).

Please help me get an idea of the areas I should concentrate on and avoid.

Thanks in advance

You don't want to be south of the river. South Laandon is a grotty provincial town with poor transport links that just happens, by an accident of geography, to abut London proper, which starts on the north bank.

Budget is everything. How much do you want to spend? Are you buying or renting?
  • I've lived north west and south west and have to say I prefer the south west. I wouldn't live in the n east, east or south or se at all. I found NW ok, but didn't really feel that safe in some place and they drive worse there too.

I think london is different things to different people and everyone has a favourite place.

I love richmond and sheen but its on the flight path and expensive. PUtney is nice. If you move further west there are some really nice villages (well, they call themselves that) such as weybridge, walton, mosely, hampton, sunbury.

good luck in your hunt.
    Saving money is fun :A
  • jat100
    jat100 Posts: 178 Forumite
    While some areas of East London are not wonderful places to live (i.e not like Hampstead, Islington or Greenwich), they are not bad and prices are pretty cheap at the moment compared to the rest of London. East London also has the added advantage of its' proximity to Canary Wharf and The Square Mile for anyone who works there. Transport links have improved over recent years ((with the Jubilee Line, etc) and are continuing to expand. Also, there is a lot of regeneration at present (e.g. the Channel Tunnel link at Stratford) and more so if the 2012 Olympic bid is successful. New shopping areas and bars, etc have been opened over the last couple of years. Most (but not all) of Leyton, Leytonstone and Stratford are safe places to live (as much as anywhere in London is) and with the regeneration going on, any property bought in this area is likely to significantly increase in value over the coming years. I have lived in this area for 20 years and have always considered it safe. In most cases, it's a question of what you're used to - I never liked South London and thought it unsafe until I spent years working there without any problems.
  • ..check where the new transport links are going to be, and buy there.

Lighteater
  • I have always been a north london person, but I did visit Peckam and areas around there and I like it.

Any suggestions in South East London, within Zone 2? And my budget is around £200K and I am looking for a 2/2.5/3 bed.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure