"Now" Wireless Broadband...No phone line needed. Anybody know anything about this ???

Options
I do not have a phone line, cant get ntl broadband, but have seen this advertised in my local Shopping mall (in Shepherd's Bush, sorry if mall sounded American). Does anyone have it or know if it is any good? I am always a bit iffy about stuff that seems a bit too good to be true. A link to the company is https://www.now.com and the only down side I can see is the low bandwith (256/512/1gb) but would be fine for my usage. Also any alternatives and are any of the big companies bringing out a similar system??? Thanks.
Aint nuthin goin on but the rent

Comments

• dagger_meerkat
    Options
    I installed this for a client, and haven't had any complaints since then.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A bit more info about Now here http://www.ukbroadband.co.uk/news.html - they seem to be a big enough company (based in Hong Kong).

512k isn't that bad for normal surfing - consistency is much more important. You're more likely to bung the PC through a window if responses vary a lot. I picked up a 512k service after my e7even 1m went toes up (fortunately a couple of days before the contract ran out) and the only difference is with large downloads - surfing and email are pretty much the same.
  • Chubby_Checker
    Options
    thanks chaps/chapettes i might go ahead with it soon.
  • Magic_Dragon
    Options
    This sounds really interesting. My other half has just changed jobs and lives away Tue -Fri. He wants Broadband but we are reluctant to pay hefty prices for line rental when it wont get used other than for Broadband.

Does anybody have any experiance with this company?
  • drpachu
    drpachu Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Tried putting in few postcodes(york,bradford,london,Hull)none seems to be covered.where do you live!!!!
    something missing
  • Chubby_Checker
    Options
    I live in Harrow and my postcode is fine. The company have been going for a while in Reading/Slough and are just branching out, so I guess mainly it would be covering areas in and around London. I am still gonna wait for a bit to get it as I still havent heard much about it, and 12 month contracts dont really turn me on.
  • Chubby_Checker
    Options
    Well I got it just now, its 2 mins to set up and so far very impressed, I will be keeping this I think. Got the £14/month 512mb card and its very mobile and secure and yep recommend it on first day impressions.
  • Chubby_Checker
    Options
    Just incase anybody wants to know, I have cancelled my NoW laptop card. I found the reception a bit on and off, and the aerial cable is very short so couldnt move about much in my flat without losing connection speed. However customer services were very good and offered me my money back no probs (as per their 30 days period) but I am now going for the USB modem which has longer cable and should do me fine; its coming tomorrow. On the whole I have found the service to be very good, but believe the USB will be better, and means I dont have to sit by a window all the time.
  • shareef
    shareef Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Good thing about Now is, its not limited to your house. By that I mean, you could log onto the internet on a bus for example, as long as its covered by now broadband, and you could surf the net. Or connect at someone else's house,w hich isjust not possible with ADSL.
  • Chubby_Checker
    Options
    Just an update here on my NOW broadband. I changed to 1mb USB modem and it has been very good very happy with it. So recommended, when I had the laptop card I must admit I never tried it on the bus (as shareef suggested) but yep its very mobile, deffo good for use around the home/ garden etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport