PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Tree and nits!!!

Options
Hi,

My little girl is starting "big school" in September and I live in terror of her bringing home some "unwelcome" visitors. I hear that tea tree is a good deterent. Some people say that you can get tea tree shampoo but i haven't seen any for kids with no tears formula. I also know that some people just add the oil to normal shampoo - but I don't know what quantities. Can anyone help - just thinking about it is gives me the itches!!!:eek: :eek:

Comments

• vik6525
    vik6525 Posts: 16,347 Forumite
    Options
    the body shop do a fantastic pack for kids, tea tree shampoo, conditioner and oil (i think, its been a while!)... othr than that, just try conditioning your dds' hair a lot, as im sure i was once told that nits cant climb up really conditioned hair (i could of course be wrong here, but im positive that thats what nearly all of the mums with girls at my sons school do every time theres a break out!)
    You lied to me Edward. There IS a Swansea. And other places.....

*I have done reading too*
    *I have done geography as well*
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My local Poundland have a Shampoo, conditioner and aromatherapy oil containing Neem Oil. I've have very little problems with the blighters since using this stuff and I always seemed to be fighting a losing battle before.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • danio_2
    danio_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hennagirl wrote:
    Hi,

My little girl is starting "big school" in September and I live in terror of her bringing home some "unwelcome" visitors. I hear that tea tree is a good deterent. Some people say that you can get tea tree shampoo but i haven't seen any for kids with no tears formula. I also know that some people just add the oil to normal shampoo - but I don't know what quantities. Can anyone help - just thinking about it is gives me the itches!!!:eek: :eek:

Add the tea tree to the conditioner not the shampoo, Put the conditioner in your hand and add a few drops of tea tree.

Asda used to sell a tea tree detangler/leave in conditioner for kids...(They might still sel lit)
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    My grand daughter has long hair and her mum uses conditioner on it, the nits cannot climb up the conditioned hair to lay their eggs......... she did get a small infestation a few weeks ago, but a swift hiar wash and comb with a nit comb then conditioner sorted it out...... its inevitable that kids get them, I had them as a child they were far more prevelent than and we had the dreaded 'NIT' nurse inspect our heads. My mother kept my hiar short whilst I was at infant and junior school, I grew it when I got to senior school, I rememebr my Grand mother going through my hair once a week with the nit comb to make sure I did not have any little visitors!!!!!!!!!

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree it's inevitable that every child will get them at some point. Keeping the hair tied up in a tight bun could help a bit but theres nothing 100% fool proof. If the person she sits next to at school has them you can bet your life she won't be far behind.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • hennagirl
    hennagirl Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys - will follow those. Agree - nothing is foolproof but still cringe at the thought!!
  • helenhugs
    helenhugs Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    Options
    what about getting a spray bottle with water & about 10 drops of tea tree oil. I did that & a quick spray each morning means that my daughter has never had them despite them having done the round in her class numerous times. I spray each of the children & sincew I started doing it we havent had an unwelcome visitor. My son used to be the one to get them & I ended up shaving his head because the thought was too much to bear.

Hope that helps.
    hugs
    Helen
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.
    Good Enough Club member number 8
    :j £2 coin club = now in a sealed tin so I'm not sure
  • TASHMA
    TASHMA Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    I have just started using neem oil (although it does pong a bit), but anything is worth a go. I agree that tying your daughters hair back would be a good preventative measure and also just keep checking her hair on a weekly basis. Don't panic if she should get them at some point in her school life (wet combing with lots of conditioner is the best way I have found of getting rid of them, although it is very time consuming). Most parents go through this and you are not alone. I completely understand where you are coming from.
  • SusanCarter
    SusanCarter Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The way nits are caught is by them crawling from one persons hair to another. The best way to reduce hair contact is for your daughter to have short hair and tie it back. My mum kept my hair shoulder length and always tied back when I was little and I never caught nits. If you are really worried, it would probably be cheaper to use a nit comb on her hair once a week rather than putting products on her hair.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    ther is a website that has a comb that is supposed to be very good its https://www.nittygritty.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure