6000 meals under 50p in 2010; feeding your family on a low budget

mark55man
mark55man Posts: 7,889
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 9 March 2010 at 8:31PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi - so this is a personal challenge, but anybody wants to join in I would be more than happy.

There are 6 in our household and than means 6 x 3meals a day x 30 days in a month x 12 months in a year = 6480 meals this year. I want to set myself a challenge of how many of those meals can be under 50p. Now my target is to get 90% of those meals under 50p ie around 6000

For breakfast (which is always cheap) - I don't see a problem as I have a nose for cheap cereal.
For lunch - weekdays will be lunch box challenge under 50p each and weekends tend to be cheese on toast or a baked potato
For supper: We have 3 veggies and 3 carnivores and we tend to have the same 3 or 4 times a week and different the rest.

Some basic thoughts.
* This is to help me for the GC challenge
* I am going to be reasonably strict in accounting the money
* For dishes lasting more than 1 day I will try and average the cost
* I will try and post recipes and meals (but not if they are from GC)
* will try and keep up daily

I know 50p will be a luxury for many but its quite a saving for me based on last year so fingers crossed

thanks for listening

EDIT 11/01/2010: UPDATE especially for new readers. This thread was merged with another by nikki, at about the same time there was a heated debate around nutrition and cheapness and 5-a-day. Thus it gets a bit confusing around post #50 and a bit heated until about page 6. After that its fine - and please feel free to comment critically if you think I need it. Main lessons:

* It is doable, and it is focussing my mind on shopping and meal planning
* It is really helping focus on portion control
* Some start up issues with more expensive things bought before the challenge
* If any of us is absent I claim the meal (0p is less than 50p)
* If friends come round I count the cost of feeding them as well and average over 6 people
* After 10 days I am running at 91.6% or a bit ahead of target namely 165 meals from 180
* Excluding fruit/other things taken as snacks does confuse the issue, but its not any more than pre challenge so I am leaving it out
* In first 10 days we have eaten 100 pieces of fruit 10litres fruit juice 2kg of peas and 1Kg sweetcorn

EDIT 24/01/2010 - Still going string - lots of recipes in the thread - and a bit of banter. Main lessons:
* Top Lesson: portion control - if you serve less it costs less
* Next Lesson: shopping - if you buy it cheap you can serve more or do more
* Reminder: Unless its just you - you do need to check if everyone is still happy
* 5 - a - day: Its easier than you think to get extra veg in - carrots are great for this
* Home Made Bread: My kids hated brown bread until they had HM bread - now they hate sliced
* Relax: Once in a while you can go over budget for a family meal but don't blow it and order caviar
* Preciseness: Most stuff gets used in whole packs, that's easy to cost, other stuff is done by look and feel not on the scales
* Support: Everyone on here has been great thanks to all, even those with whom heated debates have been had
* Snacking: Possibly more snacking going on (even before the challenge) than OH and I realised - will be looking at that more closely now we are the swing of things.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,889
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Progress : 18 / 6000

Breakfast was cereal but 3 of us missed it - (late night)
    Lunch was cold leftover salmon sandwich and/or eggy bread
    Supper was leftover salmon (it was a big salmon) heated with Peas and pototoes (+ DS1 had curried peas and potatoes )
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    what a brilliant thread! i'll be following this with interest - good luck! :) xx
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Are you putting up costings for each meal, with how you made the meals so cheaply? Or just listing what you had each day? I am guessing drinks etc are not included in the day?
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • i think this is going to be a good thread and will be watching with intrest x
    :xmastree::xmassign::rudolf::xmastree:
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mark88man wrote: »
    Progress : 18 / 6000

Breakfast was cereal but 3 of us missed it - (late night)
    Lunch was cold leftover salmon sandwich and/or eggy bread
    Supper was leftover salmon (it was a big salmon) heated with Peas and pototoes (+ DS1 had curried peas and potatoes )

This is only 1 portion of the NHS's recommended "5 a day" of fruit and veg.

I don't think your dinner could be had for under 50p. The cheapest salmon I found was Tesco's Value Salmon Fillets at 47grams for 38p after deducting 8p for a 75gram serving of Tesco Value peas and deducting 4p for a 100gram serving of Tesco Value potatoes. What did you pay for your salmon?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I think this thread has real potential! Will be watching with interest!
    We have a glut of salmon here too - bought a whole one for £12ish on New Year's Eve, fed 10 that evening, 2 meals from it yesterday and still only used about half of it! Plan to make a sauce to have with salmon and pasta (4 adults plus toddler) this evening and probably sandwiches at lunch time. Very good value! Hope it lasts a couple more days!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm looking forward to this thread, thanks for posting
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wow I will be watching with interest!!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Very interesting idea. Will be watching to see how you do and hopefully get some ideas!
  • bunny_too
    bunny_too Posts: 266 Forumite
    Could do with some new meal ideas, thanks for posting :A , will pop in often. All the best for your os New Year. This is my third, and it does get easier. xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure