mastercare coverplan?

Options
bosch washing machine coming to end of its 2 year guarantee. received a letter from mastercare offering 2 year cover for £95 or 3 year cover for £110.
which can be paid in full or ten interest free installments.
i seem to be tempted as it states - unlimited free repairs or free replacement of washing machine if it cant be fixed.
offer runs out in a few days.
pleasse advise
thanks
Nice to save.

Comments

• Felicity
    Felicity Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmmmmm! I am always VERY cautious of warranties.

I used to work for a well known company where over 80% of the profits were made from warranties, we were given intensive training on selling very overpriced, not very useful warrenties. For that reason, I ALWAYS avoid them.

If you work out the odds, buy your white goods, don't take out the warranties, then just replace one when it breaks down. If you have 3-4 white goods then you will be better off.

Hope that makes sense, not feeling very articulate today!
  • p4u1_2
    p4u1_2 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    It's always a gamble. Take out the cover and you won't need it, don't take it out and you will need it. I've always said no, but then I can do a lot of the repairs myself, so I just need to buy the bits. Having said this, I had the bearings replaced on my 2 year old Hotpoint washing machine recently, the parts were covered by a 5 year parts guarentee, and would have cost £200+. Having done this particular job myself in the past, I was amazed at how white goods are designed to be manufactured, not serviced.

My other comment is to do with the company you mention. MasterCare are part of the Dixons Group so I suspect you bought the washing machine from Currys. I have had a couple of bad experiences with MasterCare, and for this reason avoid them where ever possible. I suppose they might have improved, but once bitten, twice shy.

Hope this helps!
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bought it from comet
    3 year cover for £110 payable in instalments interest free-does sound tempting.
    unable to carry out repairs myself, although would attempt to if i could
    Nice to save.
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    Im sure I read a Which report once that said that washing machines (esp if heavily used) were the only appliance worth covering with an extended warranty as they are more likely to break down thro mechanical wear and tear than anything else.

however I bought my Zanussi washer 8 years ago, it does about 6 loads a week without complaint. famous last words!
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Raspberry_Swirl Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    i had a 3 year extended warrenty on my washing machine, fridge freezer and cooker (all bought at the same time).

it's coming to an end in august and all i've ever used it for was to replace the rubber seal on the washing machine door.

you can guarentee that something will break down come September as i'm not going to renew the warrenties :p
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheapest washer about 190 so not really worth it - put the 110.00 away in a separate account for the next washer
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • rabialiones
    Options
    susank wrote:
    Cheapest washer about 190 so not really worth it - put the 110.00 away in a separate account for the next washer

thanks but
    bosch machines are more expensive,original 2 year guarantee came with it , now coming to end
    Nice to save.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    received a letter from bosch/dom-general
    they are offering 1 year cover for about £80, so i think mastercare seems to be worthwhile,
    any advice?
    Nice to save.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've got a 6 year old Bosch washer that does about 6-7 loads a week, and it hasn't broken down yet *touch wood*

For white goods, I put money to one side for repairs/replacements, rather than buy warranties.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • abr
    abr Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    i had dealings with mastercare quite a few years back concerning a tv.

would have been better off contacting MOTHERCARE.

just my opinion but i would kepp the money in your pocket.

arthur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport