Triton shower repair

Options
I need to find someone to (hopefully) repair my Triton power shower, which seems to be cutting out.

My last electrician hit the big time (Channel 4) so doesn't do small jobs now, so I'm looking for one who does. I've asked around at work and not had any suggestions.

The trouble is I know that many would suggest replacing, which I'm trying to avoid. How do I find someone suitable (in a hurry)? I've done a google search without much success.

Thanks for any suggestions.
somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Options
    pandora205 wrote: »
    I need to find someone to (hopefully) repair my Triton power shower, which seems to be cutting out.

My last electrician hit the big time (Channel 4) so doesn't do small jobs now, so I'm looking for one who does. I've asked around at work and not had any suggestions.

The trouble is I know that many would suggest replacing, which I'm trying to avoid. How do I find someone suitable (in a hurry)? I've done a google search without much success.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Good morning: find a plumber here.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where do you live ?
    Someone here may be in the same area and have a good contact.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Where do you live ?
    Someone here may be in the same area and have a good contact.
    I'm in Milton Keynes. I'll post on the local board though it's not overly active.
  • Fleeting_Glimpse
    Options
    Hi...how old is the shower and whats up with it out of interest?

You are right, most plumbers/electricians would recommend replacing it.

More than likely the labour costs involved in repairing it would be the same as replacing it with a similar model. Tritons can be purchased for about £75 from Argos.
  • pandora205
    edited 30 November 2009 at 6:18PM
    Options
    I thought it was about two years old but the model on the manual says 2004, so maybe it's more than that!

The problem is that the water has ceased to flow in the middle of the shower, although the motor still sounds. Turning it off and leaving it for a few minutes seems to return it to normal. This has only happened twice so far but I'm sure it is a pattern. I've given the shower head a descale, so it's not that.

It may be worth me replacing it completely if I can find something similar under £100.

I've just checked and the Triton showers in Argos don't seem to be power showers. They have others - Creda and Mira - starting at around £150
  • Fleeting_Glimpse
    Options
    ah...sorry...my fault...thought it was an electric shower!

From the sounds of it ( always hard to tell without seeing it) it would seem that your tank is running dry or you have an air lock or something.

Check the float valve on the tank is operating as it should and not just trickling in.

Also your hot water storage may not be enough for a power shower.

Or it may be knackered.
  • pandora205
    Options
    ah...sorry...my fault...thought it was an electric shower!

From the sounds of it ( always hard to tell without seeing it) it would seem that your tank is running dry or you have an air lock or something.

Check the float valve on the tank is operating as it should and not just trickling in.

Also your hot water storage may not be enough for a power shower.

Or it may be knackered.

Thanks. How do I check the float valve on the tank? My cold water tank is in the loft (though accessible) and my hot water is in the airing cupboard.

I've been here for nearly ten years now and we've always had a power shower with few problems, so I don't think it is tank capacity.
  • Fleeting_Glimpse
    Fleeting_Glimpse Posts: 130 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2009 at 6:57PM
    Options
    You need to get in the loft then....take the lid of the tank if it has one and push the ball down under the water. It should come out at full bore...as fast as your cold taps.

Had anyone used the hot water prior to you using the shower?

If the tank is ok and its not an airlock it may be the motor gone.
  • pandora205
    Options
    I will go up and look, thanks. It seems to be an intermittent problem as it works for a while then stops. And yes, I'd had a shower the first time before it happened when my daughter was using it and the second when my son was in there. I'm not very popular here!
  • tin
    tin Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    You don't perchance have one of the hen's teeth triton power+electric showers do you? I have one and though the problem was heat rather than pump, it proved impossible to repair and I had to get a new one.

From the sounds of your problem you're just running out of water in whatever tank (hot or cold) feeds it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure