free audiobooks! (merged)

mh1923
mh1923 Posts: 525 Forumite
edited 2 March 2010 at 1:49PM in Freebies (no spend required)
No catch! http://librivox.org/ is a group of volunteers recording books in the public domain. :j :T

No membership requirement and no restrictions--other than how much your ISP lets you download. Although if you want to volunteer to read a chapter or two (or ten, or a whole book!) you might find it addictive!

:D
Hi, I'm Mich :o
I won a years supply of Comfort fabric softener in November 2013 - more than half remains...
2015 survey proceeds £115.36

Comments

• Hello all! Great resource! Great post mh!
    Audio books have been a passion of mine for a long time. I found many places to get them free online. Many sites will offer Public Domain books in audio or e-book form. Public Domain books are generally 70-100 years old, (that's generally how long it takes copyrights to expire on works of literature, depending on law of the land, and other factors) unless a work is specified by the author to be available as public domain (free of copyright restrictions).
    This all being said, you can get tons of great classics from a number of sources, and/or even volunteer to read a book.
    There are also Creative Commons audiobooks that are released by their authors for free to the public (usualy for non-commercial use) and even some places where you can download new copyrighted audiobooks legaly.

Check out my list of places where you can get free audiobooks at http://www.audioedition.org/services/free/

Or go to one of these free sites:
    www.gutenberg.org www.audiobooksforfree.com www.telltaleweekly.org www.freeclassicaudiobooks.com

/
    William Graham
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if any1 know where to get the big book of alcoholics anon free on audio i'd like to know.
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • leboof
    leboof Posts: 320 Forumite
    Great post thank you.

I have two Italian ladies working with me trying to improve their english, this is ideal.

Cheers :T
    :think: Can anyone explain to me how to put a signature here? :think:
  • Thanks for the leads audioedition.org. I'm also hooked on audio books.

Any suggestions about how to dispose of (barter, sell, gift) audiobooks I've finished? ReadItSwapIt, for example, don't carry many

Any suggestions appreciated?
  • Thank you all for you kind words,
    Allen36_0, I do know of a couple of sites that will give you credit for your used CD audiobooks: https://www.ashgroveaudiobook.com https://www.audiobooks.com
    I have never tried them, so if you end up using either one, please post a quick 'how-it-went' if you can.
    Happy listening :)
    William Graham
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I sell my audiobooks on e-bay when I've finished with them. Usually get back at least 70% of the purchase price.
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am sure it has been posted elsewhere before but there are 4 free audiobooks at http://www.bmw-audiobooks.com/
    They are

Don Winslow - Beautiful Ride

Summary

Back then he was looking at a fat IPO and a boat. Back then he was rich. Back then he had a condo overlooking the ocean, a wife, and had just bought the BMW Z4 convertible. Cobalt blue, like the ocean on a clean, clear day in early spring. Now what he has left is the car. Ted's a real estate investor in Laguna Beach, California. He's been kicked out by his soon-to-be ex wife, his assets have been frozen by the IRS, he's holding on to his Beemer, but the car company's repo men want it back, and he's living in a tent. He's falling through the cracks of the 'Gold Coast' life, until he turns to money-laundering to get back in the game. Then things get worse...

James Flint - Master Of The Storm

Summary

This is the story of a man who finds himself arriving at exactly the same service station over and over again. He leaves, he drives away, but every time he tries to exit the motorway he discovers that he’s back in the same Happy Break. Who is he? Where has he come from? What is he running from? What exactly damaged the wing in his car while he was tuning the radio? And who is the hitchhiker he stops to pick up?

Simon Kernick - The Debt

Summary

Boxer, Billy, needs to pay off his errant cousin’s vast gambling debts to local loan shark, Jim ‘The Crim’ Sneddon. However, he’s short and is forced at gunpoint to use his pride and joy, a brand new BMW 7 Series to make up the total. He is determined to get it back. But, to do so he has to fight his way past Jim’The Crim’s’ goons, an errant MP and a Slovakian hostess.

Karin Slaughter - Cold Cold Heart

Summary

PARENTAL WARNING: Some content in this story is unsuitable for young children. For twenty years, Pam did her duty as loyal, compliant wife. She and John shared their friends, their careers, and a son - for richer for poorer, for better for worse. Until the day tragedy struck their family and John betrayed his wife in the most public of ways, walking away to a lucrative new life. For three years John becomes richer while Pam becomes poorer; John's life becomes increasingly better while Pam's becomes worse. But then a reversal of fortune brings them back together, and Pam gets the chance for a revenge John could never have dreamt of ...

Enjoy !

Cheers
    Mike
    To infinity and beyond!
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

Thanks - a great find
  • Leonie
    Leonie Posts: 101 Forumite
    They have a legal BitTorrent site too, with books, indie music and a few 'movies'.
    Most interesting - thank you for this very useful post.
    "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Plato

"After all is said and done, more is said than done." Aesop
  • I've never actually tried audio books before (although I'm rarely to be found without a book in my hand). Thanks for this, will give it a try (still think I'm gonna prefer it in print though).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure