PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with leftover duck

Options
Hi,
Roasted a duck smothered in marmalade last night, smelt gorgeous. But when cooked it was late and I was to tired to eat it.

It's in fridge now and I don't fancy it cold.

If I cut it in half is ok to reheat?

Maybe micro, but would make skin soggy?
Or, micro and crisp under grill?

Help please!!
:grouphug: A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive reheated cooked duck before , ive also frozen it, and then reheated it once thawed. Mind you, i do love a cold duck sandwich with pickled onions!!!!
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    I'd guess that reheating duck is the same as for most poultry - as long as you get it really hot it should be ok. I'm sure that I've seen a few microwave duck portions too - similar to what you say, glazed in marmalade. I'm not sure you'll get the crispy skin again though - unless maybe heated in the oven? Quite an expensive way to do it though!!!
    Wish I was at yours for my tea nonetheless - I love duck!!
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Don'tskipit
    Don'tskipit Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    Ta catowen.

Was thinking about eating half tonight and freezinig other half, but your suggestion of duck butties and pickled onions sounds brill. Will reheat half tonight, and have duck and pickle tomorrow.

I'm really hungry now but have loads to do outside - watering in greenhouses.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply
    :grouphug: A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

• Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have some roasted duck - can I freeze it as it is? Plus can anyone suggest any recipes I could used it in that could then be frozen?

Thanks,
    Wwoo
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Yes, you can. Treat it like leftover roast chicken. I've frozen some roast goose, it's going to be a pie. What about a duck pie, or curry ?
  • bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    yes you could make duck and pineapple curry use a jar sauce to bulk it put add some sweet potaoes or anything chinese or stiry fry
  • Queen.Bess
    Queen.Bess Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday, I was given a 2.5kg frozen roasting duck! A very pleasant surprise, but it's quite big and there's only me in our 2 person household who will eat it! So I'm wondering what I can do with it! I intend to cook it whole tomorrow and then hopefully freeze most of the cooked meat (can that be done?). I bought a jar of plum sauce and a pack of the proper restaurant pancakes today (just need some spring onions!) and, apart from using up leftover flour tortillas from our next mexican evening meal, I can't think of any other way of eating the duck.

Ideas please!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, Bess! You could always invite me round and we'll share it - I love duck :beer:

Failing that, roast it, and you'll find that you don't get as much meat from a duck as you think - nowhere near as much as from a similar sized chicken. I follow Delia's method (high to start, then long and slow). Great with roast potatoes and salad or veg.

The rest can be shredded and frozen for pancakes later.

You'll get a lot of fat which is second only to goose for roast potatoes. It'll keep in the fridge for ages, or you can freeze.

Finally, the carcase will make a delicious dark stock -excellent as a base for onion soup.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    roast your duck when cold pick all the meat off get a jar of fav curry sauce add some fresh pinapple and enjoy:beer:
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cannot think of anything to add to PP's excellent post, except to say that, when roasting it, find some way of lifting it up off the bottom of the pan and away from all the fat you will get. ISTR a TV chef doing one on a bed of vegetables which, of course, roasted themselves in the fat.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure